GPS mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Threads
I had some time on my hands today and thought I would figure out where to put my GPS. I remembered someone mounting theirs up by the mirror and thought I would give it a try. I ended up going a little farther with the install. Its now bolted with #4 stainless bolts to the roof console. I will finish the antenna tomorrow. A male and female BNC connector and it will be done. I took pictures of the disassembly and rotation of the screen if anyone wants to see whats needed to be done. The guys that didn't like the CB antenna will probably flame this too.....flame on.
Gary
P1010054.JPG

Very sweet. No flaming here. Similar to the set up I have with my V in my 93. Nicely done sir, oh I liked the CB antenna, just not practical for my type of wheelin and terrain.

How easy is it to view it from the driver's seat? Do you have to lean over in front of it to be able to read the screen?

I'd be interested in doing this, but would it be better (if possible) to mount it on an angle facing the driver?

Great job! Very nice work.

You can see it fine from either side. If you angle it, it would have to be lowered , but then the GPS would block half the rear view mirror, and not fit so flush with the roof console. I tried mounting it regular side up, but it just didn't look right. I flipped it over and it fit the contours perfect. Flipping the screen is not that big of deal. You do need to legnthen 1 pr of wires that control the backlighting for the display, but thats it. I think you could also flip all of the control buttons over so they read right side up, but I use this in other vehicles so I left them alone. I am going to remove the "Garmin" Logo, and the "Street Pilot GPS" logo.

Interesting and clean... I have the same unit.

How easy is it to take down? If you need to update the firmware or maps. (Assuming you don't have a card reader for the Garmin cards) Also is theft going to be an issue?

Also are you going to wire it up to use the vehicle's power?

I was going to ask if that was a removeble setup , but it seems like a bigger unit that you probably won't be hiking with .

Looks nice !

:cheers:

I can still do the software updates through the data cord and all my mapping is done via a USB card reader so they are easy enough.

I can remove it pretty easy and use it as a dash mount. It comes apart pretty easy and with making the screen wiring longer, it can be returned to normal again quick. It is hard wired into the truck using the 4 pin harness from Garmin, wired to a constant hot, for key off use.
As far as theft goes, who knows? Being up on the roof panel makes it not so noticible, and besides Tyler, I know where you live ;)

Waggoner5 said:
As far as theft goes, who knows? Being up on the roof panel makes it not so noticible, and besides Tyler, I know where you live ;)

Damn , and I'm not the one that mentioned theft ! I was talking about hiking ya wiener ...

Knew I should have run my email correspondance to you thru a few proxies :flipoff2:

TY

PS : If you do make the drive up to look for your GPS , then lets swap 80's . Your's is bloody sweet dude ! Why emulate when I can swap ? :D :cheers:

Very nice!!! Quick question, the 4 pin harness...Did you just break down the cig. lighter connection and rewire it? Or is there a product that I am unaware of?

BTW...cool avatar. Is that you? And can i drive?

You can buy a 4 pin cable that already has pwr, gnd and the data wires broken out of it, or you can just cut the cig adaapter off and hard wire.

That was a boat I built and raced to a National Championship back in 93-94. Very cool, but quit when I started a family. Its not the most responsible thing going you know.

Very nice and clean installation. :)

Well done!! ;)

Thanks for sharing it with us. :cheers:

Mot :princess:

Waggoner5 said:
I had some time on my hands today and thought I would figure out where to put my GPS. I remembered someone mounting theirs up by the mirror and thought I would give it a try. I ended up going a little farther with the install. Its now bolted with #4 stainless bolts to the roof console. I will finish the antenna tomorrow. A male and female BNC connector and it will be done. I took pictures of the disassembly and rotation of the screen if anyone wants to see whats needed to be done. The guys that didn't like the CB antenna will probably flame this too.....flame on.
Gary

What was the CB antenna, tried a search, didn't find anything....Very plush install. Can the install handle the pressure of pressing the buttons without strain on the plastic and risk oof breaking?

Gary how about a picture of the bracket/mount without the GPS? Can you obtain reception with the antenna folded up? Also with unit flipped doesn’t that make the direction arrows 180 off?
Looks good

Is there enough room to connect an external antenna? From the pic it looked like you might be able to, but I wasn't sure.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom