FT-7800 and slee Rear Bumper antenna location/selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Taking my test next weekend and have gotten some great advice from Groucho, Nakman and Chris Hatfield on equipment. I think I'll go with the FT-7800 as I don't really think I'll use the Crossband repeat. There was a shole discussion on this in the RS forum.

So now to the antenna. I have the Slee rear bumper that has two antenna points. One on the top part of the Tire carrier (current location of CB ant) and one on the tire carrier down near the spindle.

I also would like to be able to get it into my garage. I currently run a 2FT CB ant in town and don't put the 4ft on till I am heading to the hills (2ft fits, 4Ft doesn't in the garage).

So looking for advice and pics (if you have them) on antennas and locations with my rear bumper in mind.

I am new at this stuff, but as soon as I pass my test next week I want to order my stuff so I can get it installed before Moab. I should get my license by then.

From my limited experience, I think you should avoid using the bumper. It will work, but not as well as if you'd mounted it to the roof, hood, or rear hatch. Check out this dude's web site: http://www.k0bg.com/ he's got tons to say on the matter.. most of it is really good stuff.

Hopefully Groucho or Mr. Paradise or someone will pipe in with a better reason than I, those guys know all.

Slee bumper antenna mount

Romer,

You need one of these:
0.250 Stainless plate, 18GA stainless box for a silver plated so-239. Box is TIG welded to plate all around, so-239 is silicone sealed to box. Stainless hardware to avoid corrosion. All custom.

The bumper has had mucho bonding done to make it part of the rest of the vehicle. Do not use the bumper without the bonding. For a VHF/UHF antenna I would recommend a Radial Larsen 5/8 wave mounted to the roof using the roof as the mount. best ground plane.

Last edited:
Romer-You want to stay off the bumper.

You want a rear hatch lip mount.

A dual band antenna will be 2-3 feet high and even if not in an optimal location, it will be so much better than the CB you have now, it won't matter.

If you are really ambitious, like Pismo Jim, drill a hole in your roof, but the lip mount works great and has no downsides-like more holes in the Cruiser.

I have the Diamond K400 lip mount, and have been very happy with that choice. I actually run 2 antennas and swap them frequently-a long high performance one when distance is an issue, and a short flexible one when tight brush is the issue. The Comet SBB1 dual band is tiny and flexible and works surprisingly well for such a short antenna.

The antennas with the open coils in mid shaft tend to get tweaked in trail use. Also, the folding feature is extremely useful.

Thanks for the options, but a requirement is to get it into the Garage. Roof mounting won't work and a 3 ft ant with a rear hatch lip mount may work.

So Nathanila (Groucho) is I was thinking of the same spot that picture shows. Is the performance good with the proper bonding.

There also is the front bumper and possibly some of the hood mounts I have seen.

Good link Tim (nakman) thanks.

Most of the good antenna mounts will allow you to mount on the hatch, gutter etc and allow you to fold down the antenna with minimal problem. I have a ~3' dual band antenna on the roof and I can easil fit into parking garages as needed.

My HF antenna is is mounted low enough on the hatch that when it is fully retracted, only a small portion of the steel whip is showing above the roof (ant it can drag into a garage). I generally don't havethat antenna mounted all the time (it's clipped to my cargo barrier as safe storage).

Cheers, Hugh

Could you snap a few photos of the hatch mount?

Tim has a good picture in the "post up your install" thread. Check it out.
As for mounting a VHF/UHF antenna, place it over as much metal(ground plane) as you can while trying to keep the antenna as high as you can.

Romer,
I have the 7800 and copied Cruiserdrew's hatch mount. It is ideal for trail use.

The antenna is flexible and barely goes above the roofline (is not higher than my roofrack). Does not interfere or hit the roofrack when you open the hatch either. Works awesome.

Romer,
I have the 7800 and copied Cruiserdrew's hatch mount. It is ideal for trail use.

The antenna is flexible and barely goes above the roofline (is not higher than my roofrack). Does not interfere or hit the roofrack when you open the hatch either. Works awesome.

Thanks James, sounds like what I am looking for. Do you have a picture of this?

nakman's looks to be on the hood

I can't find the detail shot but here is a recent pic- actually the antenna does go slightly above the roofrack but that's good- it's super flexy anyway

Cruiserdrew setup: K400c mount/ sbb-1 antenna (note this mount has a 'floating tab' that adds support when the hatch is closed)
SNV30736.jpg

Thanks James.

Did you bond the bracket with Braided wire? If so, what did you connect it to?

Thanks James.

Did you bond the bracket with Braided wire? If so, what did you connect it to?

The SBB family of antennas does not need a braided ground, even though I did that on mine. It is much more important if you go to HF radios, not so much for VHF and UHF. With the K400c mount the ground is through the screw in the mount. I also grounded mine with braid to the hatch bolts, but I have learned since, that that exercise was unnecessary.

The SBB family of antennas does not need a braided ground, even though I did that on mine. It is much more important if you go to HF radios, not so much for VHF and UHF. With the K400c mount the ground is through the screw in the mount. I also grounded mine with braid to the hatch bolts, but I have learned since, that that exercise was unnecessary.

Thanks Andy.

Next saturday AM the test and then a drive by HOR now that I know what to get. Is it better to get the ant and mount online?

So I am considering ordering on line as I will save over $30 from state tax, plus I found a site that it's also a little cheaper:

http://www.gigaparts.com/radioindex.php

I want to make sure of the parts list I need:

FT-7800 Radio
Ft-7800 Seperation Kit
Diamond 400C Ant Mount
I assume I will need the 10 ft extension cabling

Here is a question. If I mount the radio in the back and get the seperation kit, is there enough wire that I won't need the 10Ft extension for the radio?

Comet SBB1 or Larsen NMOQ270B -

Maybe Larsen 5/8 antenna for long distances.

What would be the distances on one of the smaller antennas at Moab in simplex mode?

The Guys at AES Electronics are pros. I would call and buy from them.

seperation kit is like $70-80. I did mine for $15.
on ebay, seller W1Jim sells the Yaesu cables (extension & aux audio extension) for $15. All high quality, 25'- more than enough.

I have photos of how i pulled off the face mount and reused it. I will post it tonight for you Romer

Thanks guys. Did you get the NMO connector style bracket or the other one?

Edit:

Thanks James I ordered those cables on ebay.

Andy - looks like a good site, but it will cost me $30 more there than the one I linked above.

I can just order the radio there, but it would be free shipping on my whole order. Just trying to decide NMO connector mount or not on the bracket and ant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the options, but a requirement is to get it into the Garage. Roof mounting won't work and a 3 ft ant with a rear hatch lip mount may work.

So Nathanila (Groucho) is I was thinking of the same spot that picture shows. Is the performance good with the proper bonding.

There also is the front bumper and possibly some of the hood mounts I have seen.

Good link Tim (nakman) thanks.

Ken,

I got a Comet foldover antenna. Just yesterday I went back to HRO and traded for a antenna lip mount, mentioned previously. I also got a screw on cover for the antenna base. So I can fold it over so it fits in the garage, or just remove it altogether if I'm not using it for a while or I'm going through a carwash or something. Have you measured how much clearance you have now? :D

Here's a pic of the lip mount on the rear hatch.
P1010003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom