Antenna info requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can people share info and pics of what antenna they have mounted to their arb bumpers for 2m/70cm? I know alomosa makes a nice antenna but it's only 2m, and I'd like a 2m/70cm. I'm installing a arb bumper next week on my 2018 land cruiser and would like to mount an antenna to it.

There are lots of dual-band antenna options out there, most of them NMO-mount. An NMO mount would let you easily try different antennas.

Lots of folks use a bumper mount (though not me); the only problem with a bumper mount is that there may not be much ground plane, unless the antenna is close to and above the hood. 1/2-wave antennas don't need a lot of ground plane, so I would look for an antenna that is 1/2-wave on the band you will be using the most.

There are lots of dual-band antenna options out there, most of them NMO-mount. An NMO mount would let you easily try different antennas.

Lots of folks use a bumper mount (though not me); the only problem with a bumper mount is that there may not be much ground plane, unless the antenna is close to and above the hood. 1/2-wave antennas don't need a lot of ground plane, so I would look for an antenna that is 1/2-wave on the band you will be using the most.
Isn't there a bracket on the arb for mounting an antenna? I've had a mag mount antenna on the roof of my car for awhile now, I just wanted to get an antenna to mount to the bumper on the bracket. I'm looking for the aussie looking ones, like alomosa puts out just in a dual band.

Isn't there a bracket on the arb for mounting an antenna? I've had a mag mount antenna on the roof of my car for awhile now, I just wanted to get an antenna to mount to the bumper on the bracket. I'm looking for the aussie looking ones, like alomosa puts out just in a dual band.

I've never owned an ARB bumper, but I'm pretty sure they do have a tab or a hole for an antenna. You might have to drill it out larger to fit an NMO mount, if it's sized for a cb antenna.

Not familiar with the alomosa antennas, but Larsen, Comet, and others make quality dual-band antennas.

The good thing about your roof mount antenna is that there is a great ground plane up there, and anything/everything works pretty well there.

Can people share info and pics of what antenna they have mounted to their arb bumpers for 2m/70cm? I know alomosa makes a nice antenna but it's only 2m, and I'd like a 2m/70cm. I'm installing a arb bumper next week on my 2018 land cruiser and would like to mount an antenna to it.
I like the Comet antennas. They “fold” instead of bending/breaking. They also have a spring that can be added if your worried about the trail obstacles.

73​

ARB bull bars and winch bars have four mounting tabs, two on the top bar and two on the lower. This for the 80 Series. I'm 'guessing, the others are the same.

Yes the ARB has antenna tabs, and yes you will have to hog the hole out to fit an NMO. No biggie.
My dual band antennas are mounted on the front fenders, but @Greg_B has run Larsen dual bands on the ARB with pretty good success.

The Aussies mount what looks like a super giant antenna with a fat bottom on the ARB tab. I am simply curious what frequency do they run that requires that style of antenna.

The Aussies mount what looks like a super giant antenna with a fat bottom on the ARB tab. I am simply curious what frequency do they run that requires that style of antenna.
Photo?

They are UHF and a lot like GMRS in the US - Aussie Antenna - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aussie-antenna.1216108/ There are companies out there that make them in the US (Rugged, Overland Mobile Radio Antennas - https://antennas.alamosa.mobi/) and you can buy them in 2m, 70cm, etc. They are just oddly expensive in my opinion for a 2m antenna with a plastic protection sleeve on the outside of it. You could make your own too. I just put mine on the hatch for less DB loss than the front and also not having a large distracting tube in your line of sight all the time.

1687570495116.png

Some of my friends started running this
Melowave
5/8 X2 and almost 50 inch tall.

I run a Laird 1/2 wave on my Tacoma and a similar Diamond 5/8 wave on my Cruiser. Both antennas are about 30 inch tall and high DB gain (don't remember actual specs). The 5/8 is mounted top center on my Cruiser rack. The 5/8 has out preformed a few others I've tried and isn't directional where its mounted.

Transmitting and receiving wise the, melowave is about even with my roof mounted antenna on the Cruiser. The loss from not having a proper ground plane on it seems to be countered by its gain. It is VERY directional mounted on the front and I dont think I want anything like that in my line of sight.

Distance wise, using the same Midland radios, I've gone ~70 miles LOS from hill top to hill top with my Diamond. Pointed at me the Melowave comes in a little higher on my receive and my signal seems slightly higher on Melowave.

Not sure if I want to spend $160 to mount something to my bumper. I also like that I'm currently not directional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom