2f TBI performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All right. I've got a question for those of us who have converted/ditched the carb and is running a tbi instead.
first what I got:
TBI , factory toy distributor, knock sensor, and VSS.
No EGR, no automatic tranny.
marging of 100 rpm for when the AC kicks on. Idle rpm of 400 on trail/ 600 on the street. (by means of 2 chips) As it is running the truck has no error codes poping out and I do have it set up to complain when something I've installed goes bad.
Now the question.? How can I set the hiway mode on the 747 ECU???
I've tried what I know and can't make it happen. it is still running closed loop (I know because the INTs change. I want to set tthis mode to a 15 AF ratio initialy and maybe as far as 17 ....

PabloCruise said:
Well, I can't help you, but I sure would like to hear more about your install, pieces used, and some pics?
sure. I'm putting up a kit to install into another FJ40 and would be sharing that info here...

more info... here is what the engine bay looks like:
not much to see because it is working, but I want to make it better....
as it is the truck is giving me something like 15 mpg (because I don't go past 55 mph, I run 33" tires, accelerate slowly) my goal is to run it as lean as safely possible; more like running 16-17 AFR...
TBI converted sample.jpg

yes, Im in atlanta. all the donor parts were from an 88 astro van that was freshly brought in to the junk yard... (I knew why the van was there after I took what I needed, but that's another story)
The adapter for the TBI is a custom cast piece.
I put the TBI right after an engine rebuilt and I think it runs A LOT better than other 2f's I've seen with even Weber carbs. in the winter I'm the king.

Hey pablocruise, who's in charge of the cruise Moab?? I've sent emails to the guys that were in charged of Cruise moab 2005 in hopes to get info for the 06 event and no one replied.

Zaskar let us know how successful if you find anything out. I have the same setup and am getting worse milage than that! I don't have a knock sensor, and I made up an HEI dist for it. I never could get the Toy one (electic ign) to work. It appears you know way more than me about that damn computer than me. How do you adjust it? I have been thinking of the mega squirt computer, that way I can go back to the toy carb.

BTW, where do you have your timing set?

Zaskar,

Sorry 'bout the Cruise Moab communication, but our website got hacked, and all our forums (including the Cruise Moab committee's info) got deleted. We are just now forming a new Cruise Moab committee.

Go to the forums of our website - www.risingsun4x4.com - and start posting up your questions in the General section for now...

FLYINGLOW said:
Zaskar let us know how successful if you find anything out. I have the same setup and am getting worse milage than that! I don't have a knock sensor, and I made up an HEI dist for it. I never could get the Toy one (electic ign) to work. It appears you know way more than me about that damn computer than me. How do you adjust it? I have been thinking of the mega squirt computer, that way I can go back to the toy carb.

BTW, where do you have your timing set?
my timing set? you mean the distributor timing on the tables?? if that 's it I set it on the table at 7 degrees. The trick with the toy distributor is to put the pick up coil as factory suggests... I think I've gone thru the same problems that everyone has with this setup but I have found a solution for it.
as you know mileage is VERY dependent on the way we drive. I live about a mile from the hiway and by the time i'm on it the engine is warm and ready to jump into hyway mode (or close to it)
There was a time that I was losing power on acceleration because the knock sensor went bad. (ECU kept complaining and setting error codes repeatedly) I found out that with a good (AKA new) knock sensor the circuit works as it should. now without a knock sensor the alternative is to modify the spark tables permanently. and this causes problems 'cause there are times when you don't need the spark advanced (long streches of down hills)

that would explain things. I money permits I'll be going to cruise moab 06 with a couple of friends, and maybe we'll caravan from Georgia, we still need to coordinate who is going to go.

dfmorse said:
I wonder how this compares to MAF setup?

Safe bet it's cheaper.

zaskar_ofn said:
The trick with the toy distributor is to put the pick up coil as factory suggests... I think I've gone thru the same problems that everyone has with this setup but I have found a solution for it.
as you know mileage is VERY dependent on the way we drive. I live about a mile from the hiway and by the time i'm on it the engine is warm and ready to jump into hyway mode (or close to it)
There was a time that I was losing power on acceleration because the knock sensor went bad. (ECU kept complaining and setting error codes repeatedly) I found out that with a good (AKA new) knock sensor the circuit works as it should. now without a knock sensor the alternative is to modify the spark tables permanently. and this causes problems 'cause there are times when you don't need the spark advanced (long streches of down hills)

I set mine up the way Downey said to, with regards to the dist hookup and elimination of the knock sensor. What do you mean when you say "I think I've gone thru the same problems that everyone has with this setup but I have found a solution for it."

How do you know if its in "highway mode" and how do you modify the spark tables? Get the computer "flashed"?

Thanks

look guys, The truck is running fine as it is. I've heard of having the hyway mode active and wondered who's done it before without destroying the engine. it is not that I have not fiddle with the idea already,it's more like I think there is a patch that needs to be installed into tunercat or whatever other program to be able to see more variables for the 747. that is still my gray area.
How to set up the ecu to run the engine at 14.7?? yeah I got that, how to set different idle sppeds,? yeah i got that... what I don't want is to take all the time that would take to tests configurations if somebody has done it already...

FLYINGLOW said:
I set mine up the way Downey said to, with regards to the dist hookup and elimination of the knock sensor. What do you mean when you say "I think I've gone thru the same problems that everyone has with this setup but I have found a solution for it."

How do you know if its in "highway mode" and how do you modify the spark tables? Get the computer "flashed"?

Thanks
problems that I've had:
I've had the fuel injectors not working because the pick up coil was not receiving a strong signal from the distributor >> the ECU doesn't see the engine turning (even though the crank signal is in) >> ECU doesn't tell the ijectors to fire up.
I've had the timing issues. especially because the points distributor and the electronic versions put the #1 posts at about 10-15 degrees off set.
I've gone from not understanding that the vacuum advance works on hard and not so hard accelerations. and that also implies that the spark tables would need to be modified.

Hyway mode, as I understand it, should kick on once the conditions the ecu had set have been met. there is a timer, a minimum speed and some others things that force the ecu to run "leaner" I'm guessing that our trucks (fj40) need a bit more HP to roll on the hyway at constant speed:
engine is running at the top end of its sweet spot,
the aerodynamics of a brick,
the higher rolling resistance tires we have,
etc
All are contributors of this of needing, say 30-35 hp just to roll on flat ground at 60 mph.
while I monitor the engine functions (via the ALDL cable, or the SES field mode) I noticed that the O2 readings don't get populated as much.
I programmed my own ECU. I started out with the map that (I forgot his name now) sent to me via email and the original map the ECU came with. I flash my own chips, i have two. In that way while I testing/running on one chip I changing the other one as we drive.
I don't claim matery on any of this, i simply have the back ground of being a mechanicl eng/computer geek with a ASE certification as my hobby and think I can do some safe mods to my truck. :)

Zaskar,

I know you are posting here looking for answers, not questions, but I have only questions - answer if you wish:

Are you running the GM 4.3L ECU?
Did it have some type of data port for you to plug into w/ laptop?
It sounds like you are running a laptop to do your monitoring and programming - what software are you using?
What pick-up are reffering to in conjunction with a Toy dizzy? Could I use the distributor on my '78?
Do you have any emissions numbers to post - I'd be interested...

How soon til your next install?

Thanks!

PabloCruise said:
Zaskar,

I know you are posting here looking for answers, not questions, but I have only questions - answer if you wish:

Are you running the GM 4.3L ECU?
Did it have some type of data port for you to plug into w/ laptop?
It sounds like you are running a laptop to do your monitoring and programming - what software are you using?
What pick-up are reffering to in conjunction with a Toy dizzy? Could I use the distributor on my '78?
Do you have any emissions numbers to post - I'd be interested...

How soon til your next install?

Thanks!

It's all right. asking/ answering questions is what keeps me on the sharp side.
the GM 4.3l came with different ECUs depending on the model of vehicle and the year. the most common ECU (better hacked too) is the 747 . that's what I have and that's what i think most Kits have.
there are some free programs to download from the internet (in case you didn't know: winaldl) that would allow you to monitor engine vitals with some slight delay (1-7 seconds)
Now I am assuming your kit came with a data port or ALDL plug, this is where you would plug your laptop to see what i'm explaining here. The cable can be bought ($30-40) or you can make it, I made mine since I already had the components.
the emissions part... I actually don't have this with my TBI set up. what I can tell you is that, if you have read other posts I've placed, I had to rebuild my engine after the emissions test. and even with a carburetor and no cat converter installed I passed the gas analisys part of the test (had to come back with a converter installed for the certificate) The point is don't worry about this numbers. you'll pass unless you are burning oil AND missfiring left and right.
i'll have this numbers in a february, my next, and last emissions test for this truck.
I'll tell you what shoot me an email zaskar_ofn@yahoo.com I ussually check Ih8mud on the weekends (while at work)

Hey PabloCruise, maybe you can let us all know what you find out from Zaskar by email. I need to learn more about this stuff too. I have been following Mace's thread in hard core about the megasquirt setup. I want to try that setup, it eliminates the distributer from the computer (not 100% sure thats a good thing, but then I can go back to a toy dist.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom