Dissent or Slee Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting this. I’ll take a look at mine and see how it’s sitting at the moment. Latches aside the shocks are just too strong on the dissent. I’m not sure there’s any adjusting you can do with those.
45 lb strut (really light)
97 lb strut (may not hold tire open on hill)

Have a 99 LX 470. Pretty close to “completing the build,” and have been holding off on a rear bumper, but I think I’m ready to pull the trigger. I have Dissent Front, Comeup winch, WK sliders, front and rear lockers, 34s, Bilsteins (ACH delete), UCAs, etc. As I’ve started to do more demanding trails (e.g., 6s and 7s in Moab), I’m more concerned with clearance than I was in the past. I absolutely love the Slee rear, but have read that it doesn’t have a great departure angle. Does the standard Dissent modular (not the new ultra high clearance) with swing outs have a materially better departure angle? Any opinions on one of these bumpers over the other? Really appreciate your input! Thanks!
Our standard rear high clearance rear bumper with high clearance crossmember is going to have considerable departure angle gains from the slee. Only a little more clearance but several less inches of stick out which helps considerably with departure. Let me know if you would like to chat I I am happy to go into more details on what sets ours apart but here are a few considerations.
Modularity. this allows the bumper and swing outs to be ordered with several different options and allows more adjustment to get the body gaps perfect. This is also great if your needs change in the future the swing outs can easily be reconfigured to fit your needs.

Towing, if you tow you know! If not than this is not really a huge factor but here are some things we have done for towing accommodations. We relocate the trailer plug to a safe and easily accessible location in the front of the bumper, we have easy access to safety chain points and hitch pin in all hitch configurations, short swing outs! The typical 70/30 split can make it impossible to open your swing outs with certain trailers hooked up. Our swing arms are both roughly 30% so this is a non issue. This is also great for not banging your knee or kids hitting their heads on the longer swing arm when opened.

Swing outs.

We feel these are really where ours stand out!
We use a dual shear hinge which is one of the reasons we are able to gain more clearance on the corners of the bumper. Because we do not use a typical weld through hinge we are able to loose a good bit of material on the bottom of the bumper corners for better clearance and departure angles. We also feel this is a stronger solution to the typical weld in trailer hub.
Super easy to open and close with our slam style latches. I know some have said otherwise here but I am confident that when properly installed ours are the easiest to operate out of any others on the market. We have 1000s of customers that would agree. The preload and gas struts on the arms are 100% tunable per your use.

Weight.
All of our swing outs are a steel aluminum hybrid so there are substantial weight savings over the full steel bumpers.

Quality and craftsmanship.
You will be hard pressed to find a better fitting bumper and our welds are some of the best in the industry.

All that said the slee bumper is a top notch product and you cannot go wrong with either but if the things I mentioned above are important to you than I would certainly recommend the dissent!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I’ll take a look at mine and see how it’s sitting at the moment. Latches aside the shocks are just too strong on the dissent. I’m not sure there’s any adjusting you can do with those.
As @GatorBait1551 said, you can swap out to whatever strut that you would like. Keep in mind the lighter you go the less it will hold open on a side hill. I will also second that there are likely some alignment issues on yours as our swing out at by far the easiest to open and close when installed and aligned properly. Let us know if you would like any help with getting them aligned?

As @GatorBait1551 said, you can swap out to whatever strut that you would like. Keep in mind the lighter you go the less it will hold open on a side hill. I will also second that there are likely some alignment issues on yours as our swing out at by far the easiest to open and close when installed and aligned properly. Let us know if you would like any help with getting them aligned?
Thanks Ben. I’ll be taking it out soon. I’ll probably make a short vid operating the swingout and get your opinion on it. They’re super smooth, solid, etc. just take significantly more effort to open and close them than the Slee on my 80.

Slee for the win on strength and longevity period.

Jason
TT
I know you have a lot of experience with the slee rear as your old bumpers are almost a direct copy but I was not aware you have any personal experience with ours?
(Shots fired back in good fun of course 😜)

In all seriousness if you have anything to back these claims by all means please let us know.

Slee builds a great bumper no question but I am confident strength and longevity on ours and theirs is very similar. Again if you have anything other than an opinions and have some facts to back that claim than please post them here.

Thanks Ben. I’ll be taking it out soon. I’ll probably make a short vid operating the swingout and get your opinion on it. They’re super smooth, solid, etc. just take significantly more effort to open and close them than the Slee on my 80.
I believe you have our very first version as well right? Or do have the v2?

I believe you have our very first version as well right? Or do have the v2?
No idea. Here’s a pic.

84A7B5E8-B130-4050-BACA-3F6C36212392.jpeg

You probably need to realign or adjust the swing arm then because the slam latch design is the easiest system to operate when installed correctly. Here's some videos that show the ease of operation and the alignment process.

well...this frustrates the hell out of me that these vids were not in existence during my install. I have no doubt that mine probably is mis-aligned.

what is not shown is the 90#-lb torquing. the smallish ratchet does not do justice to the large torque. You basically need a cheater bar on a beef torque wrentch to get the correct torque on the hinge housing mouning hardware. the larger equipment makes it pretty much impossible to get to the most hidden bolts where it becomes a guessing game w an open end wrench.

I guess I will be adding the re-alignment to my extensive to do list. not a happy camper.

I hate saying this about a valued vendor.....a great bumper, great customer service, sub-par assembly instructions.

Awesome advice! Thanks! Would anyone recommend considering the Dissent Ultra High Clearance to the list? If I went that route, I’d plan to carry my spare in the stock under bumper location for day to day, and then move to the rear cargo area if I was doing mode hardcore trails with lots of drop off ledges that would hit the tire (but that might look a little weird?). Totally different option, I suppose, but wouldn’t give the same look as the swing outs. And, to be clear, I definitely prefer the look of the swing outs, but the ultra high Dissent would definitely give me more departure angle. Maybe I’m overthinking it? If the Slee can handle the abuse of getting dragged off ledges, I don’t mind the scratches and scrapes, as those can be touched up with some paint but want to be sure dragging and scrapping wouldn’t cause any “real” damage (e.g., twisting the frame).

well...this frustrates the hell out of me that these vids were not in existence during my install. I have no doubt that mine probably is mis-aligned.

what is not shown is the 90#-lb torquing. the smallish ratchet does not do justice to the large torque. You basically need a cheater bar on a beef torque wrentch to get the correct torque on the hinge housing mouning hardware. the larger equipment makes it pretty much impossible to get to the most hidden bolts where it becomes a guessing game w an open end wrench.

I guess I will be adding the re-alignment to my extensive to do list. not a happy camper.

I hate saying this about a valued vendor.....a great bumper, great customer service, sub-par assembly instructions.
I apologize if the instructions at time of your installation did not have what you needed! This is something we continue to improve on.

That being said if you are talking about the 4 bolts that attach the hinge bracket those are 50fp if I recall correctly Not 90. There are however several 1/2” bolts and m14 bolts that require 90fp and that is the case for any bumper that uses any of the factory bolt points. In reality these numbers are not extremely critical so long they are close but 90fp is less than the wheel lug torque specs and pretty simple to achieve with a standard 1/2” torque wrench.

If you need any help with getting things dialed we are just a phone call away and happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom