What mods will you do to your Land Cruiser? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've promised to leave it stock... But she approved sliders, so that and the largest AT tires I can stuff in the wheel wells without a lift.
My plans are similar. Good sliders reduce door dings, so that's a must. (I need to find better pictures of the stock ones, I don't think they stick out very far.) Over the weekend I saw a video with a Toyota Engineer saying the GX and LC are designed to fit 33" tires stock and in general should not need any cutting to fit larger tires. That was good news to me, I'll put 33" somethings on there first thing. (Video: My Next SUV Build? Parked Side-By-Side: New Lexus GX vs Toyota Land Cruiser!)

My plans are similar. Good sliders reduce door dings, so that's a must. (I need to find better pictures of the stock ones, I don't think they stick out very far.) Over the weekend I saw a video with a Toyota Engineer saying the GX and LC are designed to fit 33" tires stock and in general should not need any cutting to fit larger tires. That was good news to me, I'll put 33" somethings on there first thing. (Video: My Next SUV Build? Parked Side-By-Side: New Lexus GX vs Toyota Land Cruiser!)
That's encouraging, I know there was a shop test fitting 34s with a 0 offset wheel. So maybe 33/34s with 35mm offset wheels will be on point!

As for my plans, I may immediately do a wheel tire swap to KO2s or similar since that's the tire I'm most experienced with. Following that sliders and then skids from Slee once available.

1. My "It's just a Prado sticker".
2. Tint.

None more until I learn what I got. 😂 🫂.

(2. Biggest tires I can get there w/o any modifications, so I guess 33's.
3. I was gonna do sliders but learned here that those affect or could affect side impact protection to passengers, so decided I will not.
4. Tint if it does not have it. )

Done...
(For now 😂)

Last edited:
- Dark tint
- 33s/34s with smallest wheels possible. Black or bronze
- Maybe black roof wrap?
- Eventually sliders/armor. Maybe.

Otherwise it'll stay stock. Locked with good tires will get me more places than I need to go.

I was thinking like you on the wheels/tires... But who knows when do we get a smaller wheel that works. 🤔. I would like the same exact measurements but smaller 17 or 16 and up to 33 or 34... So, who knows when. Hence decided I will go by biggest with stock wheels and then when tires get done then do the original idea.

- Dark tint
- 33s/34s with smallest wheels possible. Black or bronze
- Maybe black roof wrap?
- Eventually sliders/armor. Maybe.

Otherwise it'll stay stock. Locked with good tires will get me more places than I need to go.

I recommend everyone who’s buying one of these to drive it as is exactly as it came from the dealer - with the smaller tires. Until you develop a muscle memory (so to speak) as to how the vehicle should handle on the road.
Then once it’s super familiar after a few months- THEN install bigger tires if that’s your plan.
Then you’ll always have a baseline for comparison in your memory : Stock vs Modified.

“It used to handle a lot better….”
“It used to stop a lot better…”
“It used to accelerate a lot quicker…”

3. I was gonna do sliders but learned here that those affect or could affect side impact protection to passengers, so decided I will not.
Toyota has stock sliders on the first edition LC. I doubt they would do anything that messes up side impact protection.

I recommend everyone who’s buying one of these to drive it as is exactly as it came from the dealer - with the smaller tires. Until you develop a muscle memory (so to speak) as to how the vehicle should handle on the road.
Then once it’s super familiar after a few month- THEN install bigger tires if that’s your plan.
Then you’ll always have a baseline for comparison in your memory : Stock vs Modified.

If toyota put better ATs on their trucks, I would. However toyota seems set on putting on what are essentially highway tires. I wish they would at least use the OT tires. Regardless my truck will get Falken AT3Ws of the 33/34 variety and I'll call it a day

All good points.

Maybe then same tire size but better AT tires. 👍🏿

Thanks y'all ! Really good points. 👋🏿

If toyota put better ATs on their trucks, I would. However toyota seems set on putting on what are essentially highway tires. I wish they would at least use the OT tires. Regardless my truck will get Falken AT3Ws of the 33/34 variety and I'll call it a day

As first some said they werent looking very Rock Slider-ish protecting, but I remember reading lately here, that they actually look like can protect a bit. I don't see myself doing to rock climb on it, so the stock will be fine.

I was going to put rock sliders in my LC200 and decided against them based on the lateral impact learnings I got here thanks to the vast knowledge of this family. I had them in my 80 but that was another purpose rig. 😂👌🏿

Toyota has stock sliders on the first edition LC. I doubt they would do anything that messes up side impact protection.

Then once it’s super familiar after a few months- THEN install bigger tires if that’s your plan.

“It used to stop a lot better…”
“It used to accelerate a lot quicker…”
Good advice. There will be a lot to learn about these trucks, and their engineering, by driving them bone stock. I expect that people new to Land Cruisers will be surprised by how plush and planted the stock suspension, wheels, and tires feel. That said, it was reassuring to recently watch an interview wherein one of the engineers flatly said that these trucks are engineered to accept 33” tires.

Mod #0 was adding an official Toyota rear tow bar with a 13 pin socket to my order. Then... to be honest, I don't even know how the actual stock car would look like.

The order sheet I got for my LC 250 VX is not super complete:

- Wheels are 265/65 R18 but nothing is said about the tyres. The demo vehicles and Spanish website have Michelin LTX Trail on them so that means the first mod will be some a/t or m+s tyres as soon as winter comes. Fwiw German website shows some Dunlops, lol.

- Apparently somebody at Toyota realized some garages in Spain have doors under 190 cm height and decided to remove the roof rails. This is more or less confirmed by Toyota Spain website and I am waiting confirmation from my local dealer. (Re-)adding those would make for a second mod, I guess.

- My order sheet also says darkened rear windows but in case these are not dark enough I would darken them for sure because of child seats. Third mod?

- My sheet again doesn't say anything about the central diff lock or the SDM... Demo vehicles had both. A reviewer said no SDM outside first edition. Then Toyota Spain website shows SDM and rear lock but no central lock... I don't even know if this could be mod but I guess I don't really care since I'm not into hardcore off-road.

Apart from that maybe some re-styling? I like a lot the first edition round headlights and some cool mudguards I saw on the Japanese Toyota website. Dunno if those would be easily available for purchase here.

Does anyone know what the actual length of the factory Toyota cross bars are yet? My LC doesn't arrive until mid June to measure the distance between raised roof rails myself.

Looking at some alternatives like the Thule Aeroblade but not sure which size would fit best. Thule wasn't able to answer me yet.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom