GX 550 Overtrail vs Land Cruiser (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Subaru Impreza is rated for 900lbs. Maybe I should just overland that?

View attachment 3616641

The AWD Ford Maverick beats Land Cruiser 250’s payload, as do a long list of other cars. Toyota used to be good with payload. Now they suck.
590A4C20-7D1D-42A1-9B76-95CBA90FAC70.jpeg

I am confused by the website as well. You could go to a dealer and place a deposit, which is a contract based in part on the data on their website. Hard to rationalize how they can put incorrect data there. To
1714091785625.png
reinforce the 1100lb theory, here is a page from the owners manual. Of course, maybe the owners

@TWILLY What about the chart you made a while back? Those are pretty acceptable and logical numbers

View attachment 3616702
These were derived from the tech specs that were briefly posted on the forum. I felt these were pretty low, at least relative to past US series and my use case. But since then, we’ve also seen door jam placards reportedly from the US first edition showing 1100 lbs. Is that perhaps tolling the tech spec payloads with dealer add-ons? We don’t know. Meanwhile, Toyota’s website continues to show around a 1700 lb payload for the 250, which has (humorously) found its way into media reports.

What we can say for sure is that it’s a total clusterf*ck of a rollout, as the kids would say.

Last edited:
I am not sure fully understand why so angry with this. My LC200 is 1273 lbs after the yellow sticker. That's only 173 lbs difference. Or 13.5%.

Is it really THAT bad ?

Not intended to flame but honestly asking. 🙏🏿🫂

It depends on one’s use case. For me, it’s really not workable. For others, it totally is. Land Cruisers for a long time were the only vehicles available in the US market small and nimble enough to go places jeeps do but with truck-like payloads (1700-1900lbs). Those days are unfortunately (for me) long gone.

what that chart tells me is the landcruiser should have just had the v6tt

What the chart tells me is that these are light duty Land Cruiser Prados. The real Land Cruiser (aka LX600) does have a v6tt.

I think this might be what’s going on with the “Load Capacity” discrepancies.

Manufacturers (in this case Toyota) have a recommended Load Capacity for the vehicles that’s not necessarily a simple arithmetic equation using both GAWR ratings and GVWR.

Their stated load capacity is what they - recommend - not the maximum the vehicle can carry.

But other vehicle enthusiasts (and likely non official websites - and promoters) often calculate the load capacity of a vehicle by disregarding the GVWR and using the sum of both GAWR front and GAWR rear to derive a theoretical (unrealistic) GVWR which will always be higher than the official GVWR.

Then they subtract the official GVWR from the GAWR sum and use that as ‘padding’ to add to the manufacturer’s load rating.
These promoters and websites and enthusiasts aren’t necessarily lying, but they’re presenting the load capacity of the vehicle as the theoretical maximum, not the manufacturer’s recommendation.

At least this is what I think is going on - people are calculating load capacity differently - to make it look better than it actually is.

I am confused by the website as well. You could go to a dealer and place a deposit, which is a contract based in part on the data on their website. Hard to rationalize how they can put incorrect data there. To View attachment 3616704reinforce the 1100lb theory, here is a page from the owners manual. Of course, maybe the owners
Ouch.

Most 1/2 ton trucks have payloads in the 1400-1600 lb range so I would consider the LC pretty decent

I think it was in the Car Care Nut thread that he spoke about the ball bearings vs roller bearings in the rear axle- so i wouldnt be so quick to discount the rear axle strength of the LC quite yet. I could see toyota opting for much bigger balls which would reduce rolling friction while compensating for the load differences. Its just gonna be LCBigBalls vs GXbig sack/small rollers😂

It depends on one’s use case. For me, it’s really not workable. For others, it totally is. Land Cruisers for a long time were the only vehicles available in the US market small and nimble enough to go places jeeps do but with truck-like payloads (1700-1900lbs). Those days are unfortunately (for me) long gone.
if the LC200 is 1273lb it looks like Land cruisers haven't been option for you in quite a long time.

The frame, axle, tires, braking and cooling capacity have a lot more safety margin. The payload rating are more related to the suspension tuning. From the off road test drive comments it seems the suspension are tuned on the soft side. This explains why different configurations have different payload sticker. If they put stronger spring people would complain the ride are rough.
Short suspension travel are less suspecribe to load change. Long travel suspension are very sensitive to load change.

All the suspension upgrade alter the payload. That is why OME, Dobinsons or any other company have different spring rate option. In US it is not required to replace door jamb sticker. In Germany and Australia it's required to have certification when you modify your vehicle.

For that is worth, I had to drive to town for a medical appointment. I stopped on the way back home in a Lexus dealership and they had a GX550 premium in the dark gray color displayed with the dark/light gray interior. The sticker said 1380 lbs and the yellow sticker said 8 lbs, so 1372 lbs is the payload.

I was impressed iwth the truck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom