What did you do on your 70 series today? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will a 2nd layer of POR15 stick without sanding?

yes if you follow instructions. wait for the first coat to get draggy to the touch (around 3hrs depending on atmospheric conditions)
What he said...

I may have waited a bit too long, as it was still too wet for a second coat when I went to bed and was past the 'squeaky drag, but no paint on finger' test the next morning. I did not sand, can hardly reach it one-handed, I just slathered another coat in there and am calling it done.

Putting the FT73 to work
IMG_6016.jpeg

I am going to clear coat the paint with poppy's patina
Have you used that stuff before?
I never heard of it before.
Looks like a good solution for my Hijet.

Have you used that stuff before?
I never heard of it before.
Looks like a good solution for my Hijet.
Never used it before. Looks like a winner. I will post pics
(it will be a while. I’ve got 70 kabillion items on my list of Troopy to-do’s)

One year after buying, I finally got a WoF!
1000009302.jpg

Was a bit of a mish. Required some rust to be fixed (outsourced regretfully) and a wheel bearing, which was a sunny arvo job after work
1000009260.jpg

Now I'm sorting out a cracked birfield that I'd reinstalled due to not having a spare on hand. Probably my fault in hindsight, but you live and learn. Busy times, but stokes to be legally on the road!
1000009513.jpg

Spent about 15 hours in my dirt driveway swapping the original suspension for the OME kit. Things actually came apart pretty easy, much easier than my FJ62, but still a long long job. And I still made a few rookie mistakes just to make sure it didn't go too smooth. Bushings were actually in great condition on the inside despite being cracked around the edge. Old shocks were absolutely toast, completely useless. So the ride is now much better.

PXL_20240418_012806302.jpg

Spent about 15 hours in my dirt driveway swapping the original suspension for the OME kit. Things actually came apart pretty easy, much easier than my FJ62, but still a long long job. And I still made a few rookie mistakes just to make sure it didn't go too smooth. Bushings were actually in great condition on the inside despite being cracked around the edge. Old shocks were absolutely toast, completely useless. So the ride is now much better.

View attachment 3609860
I'm about to do mine as well. What rookie mistakes if you don't mind sharing?

I'm about to do mine as well. What rookie mistakes if you don't mind sharing?
Basic stuff like winging it and not reading the assembly diagrams on the OME hardware :bang:
And make sure what you're installing goes on the side you're actually working on front or back.

The procedure is the almost exactly the same as the FJ62 instructions found here: FJ62 - Old Man Emu Installation - Detailed Steps - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-old-man-emu-installation-detailed-steps.1125788/

I added some notes in that thread from when I did mine a few years ago and just updated them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom