FJ40 Power Steering Conversion - 80 Series Power Steering Box Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't remember the exact recipe. I think I used a combination of 3rd Gen 4Runner and 2nd Gen Tundra shafts to get the final product. I do remember cutting two dissimilar shafts and welding them together to make what I needed. There may be details buried in my FJ40 build thread.
Ah okay I had fingers crossed it was a single unit. A boy can dream. I’ll do some digging. Cheers

What are you using for your intermediate shaft here?
Get a universal telescoping shaft from Borgeson.....just need to get a Double-D to round shaft universal for the steering column end and Double-D to 80 series spline for the box end. Cut to length and works like a champ. That's what I put together for my 80 series P/S conversion.

What are you using for your intermediate shaft here?
I used the intermediate/collapsible shaft that came with my 80 box. I used a correctly splined Borgenson ujoint with a double D. Then just ground the stock steering column to double D where it came out of firewall.

I used the intermediate/collapsible shaft that came with my 80 box. I used a correctly splined Borgenson ujoint with a double D. Then just ground the stock steering column to double D where it came out of firewall.
Is this the one? Minus the firewall brace and rag joint of course. I can then do a yoke-to-yoke splined joint with two 60 series intermediate shaft ends so both ends of the 80 column have splined u joints. Do you know the length of the 80 column you used? I’m using a 55 series inner column bc it bolts right into the 40 tube and can be supported with a bearing at the firewall and has a splined end.

66BCD452-3A8E-4561-B716-81E08657B233.png

Is this the one? Minus the firewall brace and rag joint of course. I can then do a yoke-to-yoke splined joint with two 60 series intermediate shaft ends so both ends of the 80 column have splined u joints. Do you know the length of the 80 column you used? I’m using a 55 series inner column bc it bolts right into the 40 tube and can be supported with a bearing at the firewall and has a splined end.

View attachment 3590911
It does look like that. I didn’t get the bearing/firewall plate or the rag joint. I put the pictured ujoint at the box and used the Borgenson spline/DD Ujoint to the stock 40 shaft.

It does look like that. I didn’t get the bearing/firewall plate or the rag joint. I put the pictured ujoint at the box and used the Borgenson spline/DD Ujoint to the stock 40 shaft.
Oh rad okay. So if that was the shaft you used and you put your box just in front of the shock tower, I should be golden. I also have a bit of length out of the fire wall with the 55 inner column, not unlike your setup from what I can tell. If all else fails I’ll never have to cut the original inner column so a revert would be no problem.

Any chance you could measure the length of that shaft? If it’s a big push, no worries
I’m out of town til Monday, so it won’t happen til then. I believe it’s a stock 80 intermediate shaft. I notched the shock mount to make room for the point at the box. I didn’t modify the 80 intermediate shaft, just the 40 column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom