Your Thoughts on the LC 250? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My choice will greatly depend on if I am able to get a remote engineer position, then GX, if I have a crazy commute, it will be the Land Cruiser 250 Hybrid.
My commute will become crazy later this year — we are building a new house about 50 miles away from work. But I’m hybrid and only a couple years from retirement.

My commute will become crazy later this year — we are building a new house about 50 miles away from work. But I’m hybrid and only a couple years from retirement.
will it be with rush hour? I have a 45-50 minute commute to one of my sites and it's low traffic and super chill. Advantage of living downtown and working in the boonies.

will it be with rush hour? I have a 45-50 minute commute to one of my sites and it's low traffic and super chill. Advantage of living downtown and working in the boonies.
No, I’ll be going in early. Rush hour into Cambridge, MA is horrific. I’m currently only 15 miles away and during rush hour it is about an hour each way.

I haven’t decided LC 250 versus GX. I think I would prefer what I expect to be better NVH of the GX, but I’d rather have the fuel economy of the 250.

No, I’ll be going in early. Rush hour into Cambridge, MA is horrific. I’m currently only 15 miles away and during rush hour it is about an hour each way.

I haven’t decided LC 250 versus GX. I think I would prefer what I expect to be better NVH of the GX, but I’d rather have the fuel economy of the 250.
You ain't kidding. I'm 25 min from downtown Boston on off hours and it takes me a bit over an hour to get in. Thankfully I'm 99% remote.

I had a 27 mile commute in Houston and it could be anywhere from 35 Minutes if I bombed down the toll way with a digital throttle and no traffic to 2 hours during peak rush hour if there was accidents.

I had a 27 mile commute in Houston and it could be anywhere from 35 Minutes if I bombed down the toll way with a digital throttle and no traffic to 2 hours during peak rush hour if there was accidents.
I spent three weeks in Houston back in the mid 1990s. Of course it was in the middle of July. 🥵

I spent three weeks in Houston back in the mid 1990s. Of course it was in the middle of July. 🥵
As we say in the Upper Midwest, "Oofta!" I did not last a whole year there. Fortunately I missed July. Moved in August and back in Des Moines by Memorial day. Not a lot of jobs there 10 years ago.

I hear they will stop selling the 4Runner for one year and then market the return of the legendary 4Runner, internally known as the XA60...

It will be lighter, stiffer, use significant less fuel and will be around 20% cheaper than the current 4Runner. It is just amazing how Toyota can do all of this. Super exciting ;)

Last edited:
Or... As I do, go at 5am to the office. 🤦🏿‍♀️😂

This is a myth. It simply isn’t true.
Yes the engineering mindset for Landcruiser’s has always been to create a rugged, long lasting, dependable vehicle, but the 25 year mark is something that web forums have been parroting forever.
(Like most of the information on the internet — 95% parroting something someone read on another website which was parroting another website which was parroting another …. etc.
Not trying to say anything about any document, but anyone who was at the LCDC years back in Breckenridge heard a Toyota employee who was involved with the development of the 200 say something very similar.

FYI, he also said the next LC we'll see is going to be more "boxy".

Not trying to say anything about any document, but anyone who was at the LCDC years back in Breckenridge heard a Toyota employee who was involved with the development of the 200 say something very similar.

FYI, he also said the next LC we'll see is going to be more "boxy".

Seems they went out of their way designing and testing the 200

Looking forward to the 250 Land Cruiser winning the Dakar Rally like the 200 did for 8 years in a row. Should be great with the 4 cylinder diesel or gas engine and all that hybrid technology...

Oh wait, they are now participating with the 300 series. How is that? I thought the successor of the 200 series is the legendary 250 Land Cruiser...

Awesome video of the same

Last edited:
Seems they went out of their way designing and testing the 200

Thank you for sharing this ☺️.

And yet,

We think we know better than all those very intelligent folks that worked on it LC200, and that we know better what components does it need ...

And even better yet, we know better about a vehicle that the grand majority if not all of us haven't even seen or at the very least test drive.

Food for thought... That's all.

☺️🫂🙏🏿

Edit: I meant food for thought for ALL of us, not the fellow Cruiser who's post I replied to. 🙏🏿

Last edited:
LC200, and that we know better what components does it need ...
Would you mind expanding on what components the 200 series needs other than what comes from the factory? Maybe that reveals you want to do serious off roading in which case few vehicles out of the box are setup already. One I can think of is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with lifted suspension on recent model years.

And even better yet, we know better about a vehicle that the grand majority if not all of us haven't even seen or at the very least test drive.
The 250 specs and that it is a 150 series follow up tells quite a lot. Hope it will surprise us in the capability and durability areas. Would be nice for the brand. Keep us posted.

You want best, then buy from FJ company for all custom build. It would cost 300-500K. Which might not best from financial stand point. Unless your networth are above 10 million 🤭 Millionaire means nothing nowadays.
I was at a Toyota dealer last week and there was a FJ company GS40 there....looked great.

IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4925.jpeg
IMG_4921.jpeg

You can read Japanese?
It was translated. Baha. Also, this was 15+ years ago when the mud forum opened.

This was the post from some years ago. I can not find the article or actual pdf. This is what I was referring too.

Last edited:
Saw the First Edition LC250 demo model at the auto show here over the weekend, they also had the demo GX550 Overtrail edition. I was underwhelmed by the LC250 as it really didn't resonate with me in person. The GX on the other hand looked fantastic, to the point my wife only wants the GX now and won't even consider the LC. Add in the fact the first edition LC is pretty much the same price as the GX OT I'm not sure why anyone would want the First Edition. I think it's way better value to just get the 1958 or base LC model.

I'd love to drive one of each to compare how they are on the road, but at this point I have no interest in a First Edition LC at least. I was told they only expect 200 of them in Canada and there are 170 dealers so I'd also expect a dealer mark up as well. I'm on the list for both LC and GX, but for me I'm leaning to the GX as I don't really off road a lot anymore and those massaging seats are calling out to my old rickety back lol.

I am actually strongly considering selling my base 300 GX for a 250 series.
However, I have a few things I'm worried about.

1 - Comfort
I know they will both be comfortable and ride well, but the way the cabin of the LC300 is positioned, it is done so in a very interesting way, different to many vehicles, and very different to any previous LC, everything is positioned perfectly for your body not to feel fatigue over long distances. It makes a huge difference and makes the 300 a very nice place to be on super long drives. Maybe the 250 will have the same philosophy, we won't know till we drive it.

2 - Reliability
The twin 6 LC300 is still plagued with some issues, so i'm worried about how the new turbo 4 will be. I have 0 reliability worries with my 1GR 300; it performs very well also vs previous 1GR 200.

3 - I have been spoiled by that front locker, spoiled I tell you. I have been doing some excessive things off road and have used the front locker a lot and I feel so much more confident thanks to it. Yes, I can go add a front locker but having it factory is so much easier. Having a front locker has made my life so much easier in some circumstances, its amazing.

4 - Pricing...with the 250 I don't care what spec I get because as far as I know in my country, all of them will have the same engine - the issue will be pricing for me. A 300 is still a 300, still top dog, still will have more road presence, that feeling of having the best of the range still translates into the 300, even if it looks ''more boring'' than a 250. If I can sell my 300 and get a brand new 250 while saving cash, I will do that, otherwise it'll be difficult to convince me otherwise. Lots of people I know have shared this sentiment and said if the pricing is very minor between a base 300 and a 250 they will opt for the 300.

The 250 strongest rival? The 300 series and in the US will probably be the 4runner. However it's a win win for Toyota in the end.

Am in love with the 300? Yes, first time I love a Land Cruiser since the 100 series which will always have a special place in my heart. I never loved the 200.
Actually I never loved the 80 series either. I liked the 80 and 200 and respect how tough they are and I have owned them and still own a LX 570 but after driving the 100, going back to an 80 is difficult, same applies for 300 vs 200.

Can it be better? Yes but the stuff it can be better at is mostly spec related, the actual base of the vehicle, the actual platform, the way it drives, the way it is to daily, its magnificent. It makes the 200 series feel the same way the 100 made the 80 feel.

This will translate to the 250 but will it feel as great as the 300? Won't know till I drive and even a short drive isn't enough.

Last edited:
2 - Reliability
The twin 6 LC300 is still plagued with some issues, so i'm worried about how the new turbo 4 will be. I have 0 reliability worries with my 1GR 300; it performs very well also vs previous 1GR 200.
What issues are you seeing with the twin-turbocharged V6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom