Builds Wyoming HE Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry @residualboulders. I need to start my own thread.

wPXjiiN.jpg

JO26CFu.jpg

OCnJTmh.jpg

wvlX6IC.jpg

YoA0T2K.jpg
I love my Stedi lights on my 80 Series! Going to get a set for the 200

Those hooks are nice.

Question though, do you need to access the nut behind those bolts? Oe is it a welded nut or threaded support it goes in to?

Would be nice if it as simple as removing bolt and replacing with Kaon and then insert the new bolts, no need to deal with a securing nut.

thx
yep, welded nut. Super easy replacement.

After just over a year with my LRA 24 gallon tank I noticed the finish was coming off and surface rust forming. So i wire brushed up the area and coated with some Silver POR15 which was a pretty good color match to the original factory coating.
IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

Last edited:
After bashing one of my rear shocks pretty hard on a trip last fall I decided to grab a set of these Kaon shock guards before an upcoming trip. Super simple install and they don't look like they will make it more difficult to adjust the BP51s.

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped me on the KAON hooks.

I finally got around to ordering them last Sunday night, they shipped Monday, arrived today and had them installed by lunch time!

Didn't want to trash my Heritage Wheels on the trails so I bought a wheeling set. Decided on these rebound pros. 17" diameter also gave me a little more sidewall which I think will be nice on trails. Added 285/75/17 bfg K02. Slight rubbing when turning sharp in reverse, but I had that with stock wheels with 285/70/18 K02 as well. I prefer the look of the stock heritage wheels, but replacements for those are so expensive I wanted to keep them in good shape. Also like the idea of not running a spacer like I was with stock wheels.

Added some Apex rapid deflate valves. The standard size fit these wheels. I would have preferred the look of the Vector 5, but the apex XL valves would have been required and would extended too far past the wheel rim and I didn't like the risk that would expose them to. They tuck in nicely on the rebound or rebound pro and the XL size are not necessary.

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

Didn't really need the basket on my Slee rear bumper for fuel since I have the LRA tank. Bought some jerry can style storage containers that are lockable. Recovery gear in one, tools in the other. Didn't love the color they came in so I used some left over paint from my FJ40 restoration to repaint them. They turned out ok considering who did the work. Also added a plastic container for water.

IMG_4832.jpg

Not 200 series related, but kinda. Long single track ride on dirt bikes with my bro and our sons. Which ended on an offroad trail I'll be bringing the 200 back to. We ran into @Toyotasaurusrex in his slightly modded FJ55 - always a treat to see a 55 out on trails.
IMG_4785.jpg

Didn't want to trash my Heritage Wheels on the trails so I bought a wheeling set. Decided on these rebound pros. 17" diameter also gave me a little more sidewall which I think will be nice on trails. Added 285/75/17 bfg K02. Slight rubbing when turning sharp in reverse, but I had that with stock wheels with 285/70/18 K02 as well. I prefer the look of the stock heritage wheels, but replacements for those are so expensive I wanted to keep them in good shape. Also like the idea of not running a spacer like I was with stock wheels.

Added some Apex rapid deflate valves. The standard size fit these wheels. I would have preferred the look of the Vector 5, but the apex XL valves would have been required and would extended too far past the wheel rim and I didn't like the risk that would expose them to. They tuck in nicely on the rebound or rebound pro and the XL size are not necessary.

View attachment 3607776

View attachment 3607782
Looks great. What offset are these Icons and is there decent clearance around the brake calipers? Also, where is the rub happening?

I recently did a mild lift (1.85" using the Bilstein 6112 height adjustable shocks) and thought I could fit 285 70R18s on the stock HE wheels (no spacer) but ran into the issue with the KDSS sway bar rub (currently running 275 70R18s with no issues). Should have consulted the forum more closely before I did that. In any event, I would like to run that same tire / wheel combo if possible and not entirely convinced I want to do KDSS relo kit.

Looks great. What offset are these Icons and is there decent clearance around the brake calipers? Also, where is the rub happening?

I recently did a mild lift (1.85" using the Bilstein 6112 height adjustable shocks) and thought I could fit 285 70R18s on the stock HE wheels (no spacer) but ran into the issue with the KDSS sway bar rub (currently running 275 70R18s with no issues). Should have consulted the forum more closely before I did that. In any event, I would like to run that same tire / wheel combo if possible and not entirely convinced I want to do KDSS relo kit.
Huh, thats interesting. I ran 285 70R18s on the stock HE wheels with no KDSS rub (without spacers) I did add spacers and have the OME 2-3" lift. With that set up it rubbed on the mudflap at full turn in reverse, but just barely. I have the same rub in the same spot with the 285/75/17. On paper the 285/75/17 are larger, but i had this size on my tacoma sitting next to the 200 with 285/70R18 and they measured almost the same. They look beefier though, maybe due to the taller sidewall.

No issues clearing the brakes. I believe the offset is -25mm. These Icon wheels sit about an inch further out than my HE wheels did with 1 1/4" spacers. So roughly 2" wider overall stance without having to use spacers.

Kaon shock skids did not hold up as well as I'd hoped. Here is the before and after. A difficult stretch on Elephant Hill in Canyonlands destroyed both sides. Glad I had them, they did their job but I may be looking for some BudBuilt replacements.

IMG_4663 (1).jpg
IMG_5116.jpg

Looks amazing! I need to get back out there… good thing you didn’t go any wider on the build, not a lot of wiggle room there!
It was tight. My bro was in his OJ Bronco which is a couple inches wider. He also made it, but it was very snug.

Reactions: CT3
Kaon shock skids did not hold up as well as I'd hoped. Here is the before and after. A difficult stretch on Elephant Hill in Canyonlands destroyed both sides. Glad I had them, they did their job but I may be looking for some BudBuilt replacements.

View attachment 3613661View attachment 3613656

The Kaon guards look like they are made of pretty thin material. The BB ones are 1/4" and beefy and even so @Bullgump did this:
1713816704879.png

I don't think the Kaon guards stand much of a chance if you play on rocks.

The BB design does put load on the lower shock mount post. I've had to bend my post back. I'm currently thinking of a mod to the BB guards to remedy this. Maybe the Kaon side mounting points as a concept is good. Just need to add more beef.

The Kaon guards look like they are made of pretty thin material. The BB ones are 1/4" and beefy and even so @Bullgump did this:
View attachment 3613949

I don't think the Kaon guards stand much of a chance if you play on rocks.

The BB design does put load on the lower shock mount post. I've had to bend my post back. I'm currently thinking of a mod to the BB guards to remedy this. Maybe the Kaon side mounting points as a concept is good. Just need to add more beef.
wow. Yeah I like the design of that Kaon, but it's not thick enough for sure.

Those are designed to keep debris/thrown rocks from tires/ and brush from hitting shock shafts. They are not skid plates meant to be dragged across rocks.

Those are designed to keep debris/thrown rocks from tires/ and brush from hitting shock shafts. They are not skid plates meant to be dragged across rocks.
Yeah, i bought the wrong product for the job. Honestly didn't think I'd be taking the 200 on a trail that would require anything heavier than that. But, then I did. 😂

Yeah, i bought the wrong product for the job. Honestly didn't think I'd be taking the 200 on a trail that would require anything heavier than that. But, then I did. 😂
Same here. I "use" my rig but this happened on an after trail of last years LCDC in a mud hole I followed others through without checking to see what was below the surface. Large rock/boulder others missed. I also sheared a nut off the UCA bolt someway somehow. IMO, the BB guard did its job taking the brunt of the damage and giving way before any major component damage.

now for the mudhole...I'll be checking those a bit before going through. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom