Manglers "Flying Egg" Resto-Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forward to this build. If the other projects I've seen @Boston Mangler build are any indication, there's going to be some really cool things to come. The rig already has some unique things that make it pretty special.

Subscribed...

Thank you for the kind words.

Your build, and as important, your thought process for it, is an inspiration for what my plans are.

Will be quite similar.

I’ve spent hours searching and trying to figure out an OEM wheels that I can use for a narrow-ish 33 without spacers and no rubbing, my brain hurts 😂

OEM replacement suspension parts for overhaul, shopping spree coming soon! 🙂

I guess I’ve gotten quite spoiled with Amazon Prime and getting everything next day…

Well, first order of business has arrived 😂

IMG_8769.jpeg

Grom installed and it was suprisingly easy

Plug and Play as advertised (rare)

Quick function check shows the 2 main things I want and need working perfectly

Also, rear camera, and steering wheels controls works same as OEM

45 minute install, id rate it one Banana 🍌

IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8826.jpeg

I followed this video for install notes:

Last edited:
Where did you find the printed manuals? Looking for a 2011

Also, you need to call some folks back. :rofl:

eBay.. $170 or so for the set, it’s actually 8 manuals.. 1, 1a, 2, 2a, etc…. Box probably weighed 40lbs+

Nah, I don’t return phone calls. I’m not important 😜

i wish i had the skillz for this

No "Skills" Needed For This Sir

Check out that video. Its literally plug and play.

Well, good news and bad news.

I was able to get both of my rear door lock actuators replaced, and it was easy peazy.

Bad news, theyre identical part # to the ones i pulled out, which LOOKED to be in perfect condition. no corrosion, muck built up, looked brand new etc... Will see how long it lasts.

I would definitely rate this task as a one Banana :banana:

Other write ups on here detail a pretty involved process of removing a bunch of stuff and this that and the other.

PROTIP: Remove door panel, remove 3 screws holding actuator into door, rotate it counterclockwise and remove it through hole while everything is still attached. Place new one beside it, swap cables over, return to position clockwise, and reinstall 3 screws.

Just Make sure door latch lines up with fork while rotating back in place, and Bob is your uncle.

I am a big clumsy oaf with sasquatch hands and didnt have any issues.

Observation: Before replacing them, i wouldnt get a chirp confirming the doors were locked (because they werent), now i do and all 4 are functioning like they should. Woohoo!

door2.jpg

door1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, good news and bad news.

I was able to get both of my rear door lock actuators replaced, and it was easy peazy.

Bad news, theyre identical part # to the ones i pulled out, which LOOKED to be in perfect condition. no corrosion, muck built up, looked brand new etc... Will see how long it lasts.

I would definitely rate this task as a one Banana :banana:

Other write ups on here detail a pretty involved process of removing a bunch of stuff and this that and the other.

PROTIP: Remove door panel, remove 3 screws holding actuator into door, rotate it counterclockwise and remove it through hole while everything is still attached. Place new one beside it, swap cables over, return to position clockwise, and reinstall 3 screws.

Just Make sure door latch lines up with fork while rotating back in place, and Bob is your uncle.

I am a big clumsy oaf with sasquatch hands and didnt have any issues.

Observation: Before replacing them, i wouldnt get a chirp confirming the doors were locked (because they werent), now i do and all 4 are functioning like they should. Woohoo!

View attachment 3598759

View attachment 3598758

I'd be curious if spraying electronics cleaner on the actuator motors would be a fix in itself?

I find many motors at higher mileage are susceptible to brush graphite/carbon buildup. My experience is that cleaning the motors really wakes them up to deliver the torque necessary to do their job. The difference shows immediately on a bench test and I'd be curious if the actuator you took out could be experimented with?

I'd be curious if spraying electronics cleaner on the actuator motors would be a fix in itself?

I find many motors at higher mileage are susceptible to brush graphite/carbon buildup. My experience is that cleaning the motors really wakes them up to deliver the torque necessary to do their job. The difference shows immediately on a bench test and I'd be curious if the actuator you took out could be experimented with?

Yes, i was wondering this also.

Passenger side looked brand new, not even dust on it, even inside.
Drivers side looked older with some dust, and a little muck built up, but nothing concerning.
Both visually appeared to be in great shape, but...

Before replacing, both were sporadic and would only work 50% of the time, didnt matter drivers master lock, or remote.

Puzzling, but will take these further apart and replace the motors for "Next Time"

HVAC Blower motor replacement next.

It’s shot and causes some crazy vibrations when I put the fan on.

Not even done and this is at least a 2 🍌🍌 job due to cirque de sole level contortion required to access it from under glove box.

Got the old one out and LOTS of play in the bearings, so that’s a win!

Upon first inspection of the truck before
picking it up, I thought it was AC compressor.

$150 vs $1500 👍🏼

Hopes and prayers this is the fix

IMG_8890.jpeg

IMG_8891.jpeg

HVAC Blower motor replacement next.

It’s shot and causes some crazy vibrations when I put the fan on.

Not even done and this is at least a 2 🍌🍌 job due to cirque de sole level contortion required to access it from under glove box.

Got the old one out and LOTS of play in the bearings, so that’s a win!

Upon first inspection of the truck before
picking it up, I thought it was AC compressor.

$150 vs $1500 👍🏼

Hopes and prayers this is the fix

View attachment 3599420

View attachment 3599421

While you're in there, 100% do this, too. HVAC Recirc Door - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hvac-recirc-door.1333718/post-15386648

New blower motor finally arrived

Gonna try to recruit a buddy with smaller hands to get that sumbitch back in there.

Comparing the wheel play in the 2 makes me confident this was my issue. Old one is super sloppy, new one, zero play. 🤞🏼

IMG_8942.jpeg

New blower motor in and tested and vibrations are 100% gone and everything working perfectly.

I’d rate this a 2.5 🍌 job if you’re a plus size fella like myself, or a 1.5 🍌 job if you’re a normal size human.

All interior quirks and issues fixed and back to new! Woot!

Next is deleting the roof rack and collecting all the suspension components!

Onward and Upward 🤘🏼

New blower motor finally arrived

Gonna try to recruit a buddy with smaller hands to get that sumbitch back in there.

Comparing the wheel play in the 2 makes me confident this was my issue. Old one is super sloppy, new one, zero play. 🤞🏼

At 220K Sienna is on it's third and is showing signs. Not looking forward to replacing it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom