Manglers "Flying Egg" Resto-Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kev:

Highly recommend the Diode Dynamics "SmartTap" flasher upgrade, especially if you ever do any highway driving. Then you can also swap out your turn signal bulbs for LEDs and won't have the hyper flashing.

Kev:

Highly recommend the Diode Dynamics "SmartTap" flasher upgrade, especially if you ever do any highway driving. Then you can also swap out your turn signal bulbs for LEDs and won't have the hyper flashing.

Thank you sir

This just looks like activated charcoal……

You’re 100% correct.

I’m an idiot, a sleep deprived idiot

Didn’t realize it was charcoal until I pulled the new one out of the box 😂

Thanks

Well, finally got the roof rack removed, and LOVE the cleaner, slick top look. I went the easy route and just bought the OEM kit.

I would rate this a 1 :banana: job

VERY simple and straight forward as long as you follow the many threads on here about installing a threaded stud in the hole before removing both bolts so the dual nut deal doesnt fall into the head liner. I found a manifold stud i had in the garage for a Suzuki Samurai worked perfectly!

This brings me joy!

Photo Apr 12 2024, 12 55 27 PM.jpg

stud.jpg

Photo Apr 12 2024, 12 48 43 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 12 2024, 12 52 25 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 12 2024, 12 52 05 PM.jpg

That does look really good, you're giving me incentive to remove mine.

That does look really good, you're giving me incentive to remove mine.

Thanks.

For whatever its worth, the main reason i removed it is aesthetics, but i gained 1mpg on both my 100 and my 80 when i removed the rack.

YMMV

Without a roof rack, that negates the possibility of an RTT. Wondering what your solution is for car camping?

Without a roof rack, that negates the possibility of an RTT. Wondering what your solution is for car camping?

Oh, I’ve done the RTT things years back. We were one of the first Eezi-Awn dealers in the states.

Not my thing. For me, the negatives (saw -2mpg with RTT on both my 80 and 100, decreased stability with all that weight effecting COG, road noise, oh yeah, and the -2mpg) outweigh the positives, which after getting caught in a few gnarly windstorms in baja, i am not really sure they are many positives IMHO. Close to everyone i know that went the RTT route, sold it within 1-2 years. Some people love them, and they work well for them, and thats great. For kids, its a huge treefort, so thats pretty awesome. For older folks that like whiskey, its an ER trip waiting to happen! Hahahaha

I’m a very bare bones guy. I will have (maybe build) a drawer system that will double as a sleep platform, similar to the goose gear system, but cleaner :)

I Probably have 200+ nights sleep using similar set up in 80 and 100 and loved it, when solo. Which this rig is specifially for really, when the wife stays home, this will be my go to.

The big fancy pants camper project is for wife, she likes all the amenities. Me, not so much, too much work! LOL

We will eventually camp together and you will see my wife in all of her glory making top notch chicken wings in the AIR FRYER. True story.. WHILE CAMPING

I’m perfectly content with just a camp chair and a jet boil. #poptartsandwhiskey

I’ve traveled a ton on Moto (artic circle 2x) and used to bare essentials when solo, and much prefer it.

NOTE: We have no kids or pets

This is kind of the route i am thinking (click through all the pics), but lighter, and cleaner:

Oh, I’ve done the RTT things years back. We were one of the first Eezi-Awn dealers in the states.

Not my thing. For me, the negatives (saw -2mpg with RTT on both my 80 and 100, decreased stability with all that weight effecting COG, road noise, oh yeah, and the -2mpg) outweigh the positives, which after getting caught in a few gnarly windstorms in baja, i am not really sure they are many positives IMHO. Close to everyone i know that went the RTT route, sold it within 1-2 years. Some people love them, and they work well for them, and thats great. For kids, its a huge treefort, so thats pretty awesome. For older folks that like whiskey, its an ER trip waiting to happen! Hahahaha

I’m a very bare bones guy. I will have (maybe build) a drawer system that will double as a sleep platform, similar to the goose gear system, but cleaner :)

I Probably have 200+ nights sleep using similar set up in 80 and 100 and loved it, when solo. Which this rig is specifially for really, when the wife stays home, this will be my go to.

The big fancy pants camper project is for wife, she likes all the amenities. Me, not so much, too much work! LOL

We will eventually camp together and you will see my wife in all of her glory making top notch chicken wings in the AIR FRYER. True story.. WHILE CAMPING

I’m perfectly content with just a camp chair and a jet boil. #poptartsandwhiskey

I’ve traveled a ton on Moto (artic circle 2x) and used to bare essentials when solo, and much prefer it.

NOTE: We have no kids or pets

This is kind of the route i am thinking (click through all the pics), but lighter, and cleaner:

I figured you had a strategy. Camping in the car is probably the best option, and yes, the wind can be brutal as you well know even out here in SD. Funny when we camped in Valley of the Moon amoung all the windmills. The evening calm was a trick. Winds were so brutal, they lifted the cantilevered side of a friends RTT, with him on it! He kept having to reach out of his tent to shorten the ladder as it would set the next rung LOL.

Oh heck yes to chicken wings. Count me in!

I figured you had a strategy. Camping in the car is probably the best option, and yes, the wind can be brutal as you well know even out here in SD. Funny when we camped in Valley of the Moon amoung all the windmills. The evening calm was a trick. Winds were so brutal, they lifted the cantilevered side of a friends RTT, with him on it! He kept having to reach out of his tent to shorten the ladder as it would set the next rung LOL.

Oh heck yes to chicken wings. Count me in!

Yes sir. We have friends with property in Ocotillo and camp there somewhat often. The winds can be absolutely insane. Next time i see you ask me about my Tundra almost being a total loss from sand storm damage, 2 weeks after i bought it, true story.

Here is a pic of my 80 and RTT down in Gonzaga bay circa 2005 or so. Back when it was dirt the entire way down

I may or may not have taken a header right out the door while trying to pee after enjoying considerable amounts mexicos finest tequila

I may or may not have woken up the next day in the sand at bottom of said ladder

It was in that finest moment the wife and i decided "We should probably find other options" LOL

NOTE: Those old goodyear kevlar MTRs were the best tires ever made

rtt.jpg

@KLF i keep having rad memory flashbacks of the old YT days and the fall gathering every time i see "Bud Built" stuff mentioned.

Sooooo awesome to see him going big time with the biz and turning out top notch stuff.

We just need us some MIKE FOX right about now.... Where that fella been hiding?

Geez I haven't talked to Mike in a long time, no idea what he's up to.

I had dinner with Bud back in early 2020, I was on a 3 week road trip and stopped by his shop to get some sliders and skids installed. I also have a set of his SS cat guards installed, good stuff.

Well, nothing too exciting, but since the Grom only seems to play nice when WIRED, I removed the OEM plug panel and ran a USB connection from it to the Grom.

Quick, clean, no drilling, and can be put back to stock config if I eventually decide to s*** can the Grom.

1/4 🍌 install

IMG_9627.jpeg

IMG_9628.jpeg

IMG_9629.jpeg

Finally got some under carriage pics

Looks pretty dang good for a 2010, 212k miles

IMG_9631.jpeg

IMG_9632.jpeg

IMG_9634.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

Had pleasure of meeting/bumping into @badsamaritan this morning and check out his sweet 100. Thought it was my old one.

Good times.

Got a trip next weekend to Big Bear for its first dirt and for a baseline

Then the real tear down / resto begins 🤘🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom