The Faux 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We need a money shot of them on the Patrol!
Quick install tonight. Will get out this weekend and get better shots.

IMG_2048.jpeg

He’s going to have the coolest Car at school!

Got more miles on the Patrol this weekend. Need/To Do list slowly getting slightly shorter.

View attachment 3534047
What's the plan for a top? Did this model have a hard top or just a soft top?

Looking great, btw. Such a cool father/son project.

When sold through Datsun dealerships in the 60s, they came in hard top or soft top versions. This was a factory soft top. 1 of 900 imported during their 3 year run. Lots more hardtop versions out there on the interwebs. I plan to find a top maker for a full soft top. Was trying to track down a South American vendor who used to make them but no luck. The scavenger hunt continues.

No school today so Luke fabbed up a radiator overflow tank. We weren’t excited about the generic plastic ones out there or a street rod billet piece. He ended up using an old paint gun canister we got at a swap meet, made a mount (to be painted), soldered a fitting for the tube, and added a breather hole. Best case it stops a few tiny drops. Worst case is it bounces apart and shreds the fan belt/radiator/alternator. Only time will tell.

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

Luke thought he shredded a wheel bearing cruising around today. “Quick” inspection and repacking in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Overall, bearing was worn & loose, so will get replaced. In other news, the manifold leak is getting worse so we are going to tackle a gasket replacement.

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2295.jpeg

Found a Cruiserhead/Patrolhead willing to part with a couple unobtanium parts - a dash cluster panel and rear tire swing with all the little giblets. Our last 2 big missing pieces. He tossed in various printed service manuals. Very cool. Thanks @dingoFJ55

IMG_8931.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

The budget build continues with a badly pitted spare tire rim that came with the Patrol (all 4 were pitted pretty bad). I voted to smooth it out with JB Weld. Luke voted to weld it up then grind it smooth. Slow going.

IMG_2867.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2874.jpeg

Just found your thread (thank god). Rebuilt a 72’ FJ40 over 5 years - moved from DC to FLA and sold it to someone in Miami. It was never about driving it - it was about turning the wrench. I have a 13year old that needs to learn how to fix stuff so I just bought a 1969 Patrol to be the lab rat. Sourcing what will be needed was always the worry - hope you can share some of the resources that have helped along the way. Awesome job on your project – I thought it was crazy to take the leap with this vehicle - happy I did now!

Just found your thread (thank god). Rebuilt a 72’ FJ40 over 5 years - moved from DC to FLA and sold it to someone in Miami. It was never about driving it - it was about turning the wrench. I have a 13year old that needs to learn how to fix stuff so I just bought a 1969 Patrol to be the lab rat. Sourcing what will be needed was always the worry - hope you can share some of the resources that have helped along the way. Awesome job on your project – I thought it was crazy to take the leap with this vehicle - happy I did now!
Congrats. It’s been a fun project that moved at his pace & skill level. The folks on the 60Patrol.com forum have been immensely helpful and where I’ve acquired a few parts. Sometimes it’s slightly annoying that parts are not everywhere like Jeep or Yota stuff, but that’s also sort of the appeal.

Last edited:
Spare tire time. Luke got the swing out mounted. It must have come off a different year Patrol as one bracket didn’t line up. Luke fabbed up another. we decided to use a different rim off my 40, which doesn’t match but gets the job done.

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_8994.jpeg

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I saw Luke driving the Patrol on Sharon View, pretty near my house, last week or so. It didn't register in my brain until well past waving time! Good to see it on the road.
Yep. I was riding his motorcycle and he was behind me. I saw you but I couldn’t get a wave off either. The little rig is getting out more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom