The Faux 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Threads
You know the drill - late at night, your spouse is asleep, and you are searching the depths of Craigslist. A single fuzzy jpeg of a 51 year old catches your eye. Next thing you know, you are loading a 1966 Nissan Patrol on your motorcycle trailer and bringing it home. After 6 months of it sitting under a tarp, I decided I better get started on wrenching.

From backyard find, to road worthy is the goal. No restoration. No mods (other than safety). Just a budget "build" to get it driving to the beer store. Maybe, just maybe, a little bit of mud. So, help keep me focused this winter to get this old girl back up. Think more Roadkill, and less Barrett Jackson.

So far @joyRidaz and @forrest5000 have provided some assistance.

It's a Faux 40, with lots and lots of similarities of an FJ40 and Willy's of the same era. In fact, most the Patrol guys turn to 40s for parts. It even came with a '40 rear tire carrier and some classy trailer lights. Hopefully, with a little 40 know how and a few parts, it will be out to a future meet up.

Feel free to offer suggestions, tips, and elbow grease.

First step is wiring harness - it has none. Well the PO started installing a cheapo aftermarket one.

Second - get it driving, following by getting it stopped.

I'll try and document the milestones. Or lack thereof.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

Last edited:
Those gave always been cool... very close to a series ll body shape with a jeep from

Very cool! Love the first paragraph intro.

First mini update. It's a roller now.

When acquired, the truck had 4 generic wheels that matched with 4 unmatched tires - none that held air. Years of sitting flat had taken its toll. The spare was an oddball wheel. Anyone recognize this style wheel or what it belongs on? It has hub cab clips. Happy to let it go if someone needs it.

Thanks to @forrest5000 I was able to get four used tires that held air. In a previous life the tires are rumored to have started out on @FJinTegaCay's LV. ONSC comes through again. So, the truck was rolled into the garage for the winter.

Also, a while back the '40 spare carrier was removed and found a new home on @tgadd '40. So, cruiser parts off. Cruiser parts on. Trying to keep the Toyota & Nissan gods at peace.

My shop assistant got the tires installed in short order (pun intended). No air wrenches at our house.

So, it rolls.

F0FB24BC-7228-4A05-A9F7-B03CCC77212B.jpeg

27596DC5-F01B-4FAA-9C3B-DDC4C19F22AA.jpeg

3077282D-0B17-4A2E-A053-8DC6F4BC9417.jpeg

Reviving my 5 year old thread. As Luke counts down to a driver’s license in 14 months, the pleas to get the Patrol running grow exponentially. Made huge leaps last few days. Carb rebuilt (again) & got engine running fairly well. New brake cylinders received from Australia and installed. New Wildwood dual master brake cylinder mounted. New shocks installed. Re-lined brake shoes from another Patrol owner installed. All new metal brake lines made & installed (double faired after advice from an elder). Many seized or rusted parts freed. Tonight we were able to start and drive it down/back up driveway. Much more to do. Would like to thank unofficial sponsor PB Blaster.

BE6DC629-88D8-45CE-B597-388719C922B1.jpeg

E8F456D5-EC2F-43B1-8092-1DCA6F10F101.jpeg

FE0FDCE0-CBCE-461C-8AAE-5453EB9DFA8B.jpeg

5766A122-D9CE-40AE-9D68-68425E232A86.jpeg

F4CF4C4E-08D2-4F8F-B85C-D0E7D5190D3B.jpeg

So cool.

I worked for the guy who back in the 60's owned the first Nissan Dealers on the east coast and imported the Patrol and the pickup. Right before the gas crunch of the 70's his partner died suddenly of a heart attack and Bud the guy I worked for had to sell of his rights to the Datsun brand. He never got over it. He may have sold this truck when it was new if was originally from the east coast! Rest In Peace Bud Peterman!

Reviving my 5 year old thread. As Luke counts down to a driver’s license in 14 months, the pleas to get the Patrol running grow exponentially. Made huge leaps last few days. Carb rebuilt (again) & got engine running fairly well. New brake cylinders received from Australia and installed. New Wildwood dual master brake cylinder mounted. New shocks installed. Re-lined brake shoes from another Patrol owner installed. All new metal brake lines made & installed (double faired after advice from an elder). Many seized or rusted parts freed. Tonight we were able to start and drive it down/back up driveway. Much more to do. Would like to thank unofficial sponsor PB Blaster.

View attachment 3149947

View attachment 3149948

View attachment 3149951

View attachment 3149952

View attachment 3149953
Dang time flies! That does not feel like five yes have passed.

Btw Is that the original owner of the flat fender Willys ? I can’t imagine what three generations of your bloodline can bring back to life in a weekend…. Congrats

The Patrol is alive! We took it on its first (for us) maiden voyage around the neighborhood. Lots needed to make it safe, reliable, and street legal. But, it starts & stops. Luke squeezed in an oil / diffs / radiator fluid change to make sure we didn’t blow up anything first. Nothing too horrible came out with the old stuff. Tomorrow’s to-do list is to make the missing front brake lines - which will complete the all new brake system.

8CA07FD6-22FD-4347-958C-9B475AF48FAF.jpeg

9D954792-1676-4727-8C77-B8BC2336B49B.jpeg

FC76887C-F275-451F-80BD-E517D21F8B03.jpeg

F18425EB-CA25-4C6B-89EC-96016561B612.jpeg

The Patrol is alive! We took it on its first (for us) maiden voyage around the neighborhood. Lots needed to make it safe, reliable, and street legal. But, it starts & stops. Luke squeezed in an oil / diffs / radiator fluid change to make sure we didn’t blow up anything first. Nothing too horrible came out with the old stuff. Tomorrow’s to-do list is to make the missing front brake lines - which will complete the all new brake system.

View attachment 3288270

View attachment 3288271

View attachment 3288272

View attachment 3288273

I have vague memories of my 80 year old grandfather having a red one of these.
I remember listening to a conversation as a 9 year old between my dad and uncle talking about maybe grandpa should get a newer truck instead of the old Nissan that had to be double clutched everywhere because it had a 3 speed, no synchromesh manual gearbox.
No idea why that conversation stuck in my memory.
As a 9 year old, I had no clue what they were talking about, I just remember they spoke about driving it as being a feat to be respected.

The Patrol needs a rear license plate mount. Luke is mocking up one to 3D print and, if it works, we will have it machined.
View attachment 3306746
I have a brand new steel license plate mount for an early FJ40. I won it in a raffle several years ago. I don't need it. You can have it if you want it.
IMG_5830[1].JPG

Water pump and fuel pump back from rebuilder. Should be good for another 57+ years. Luke got them both installed this weekend. New hoses & clamps too. Discovered pin hole in radiator but will sort that out.

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6037.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

IMG_6040.jpeg

This is epic. I wanted to do something like this with my daughter but that didnt pan out. She just graduated and is driving a Kia. My 5 year old son loves to help in the garage and wants my ram 2500 when he gets to drive. But her really likes my GX and Land Cruisers.. so theres hope haha

Now to seats. The original 2/3 split bench seats are toast. Frame rusted and springs brittle. Watched a lot of YouTube and decided the cheaper/faster method is to find a pickup bench seat or standard seats that will fit. Something sort of similar vintage looking, low back, and with aftermarket recover options. The Mom says seatbelts needed too.

IMG_6074.jpeg

IMG_6078.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom