Fridge (and accessory) recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've used a cheap bougerv 55qt for 3 years now it's great. 300$. Haven't tried a real dual zone one yet but they seem cool

Interesting, the video I saw showed little improvement in run time, at least with an ambient temp of ~75F. I think it was 14 hours on a 500W Jackery for the Chinese knockoff, 28 hours for the Danfoss, and 29 hours for the Danfoss wrapped in a cover.
I suspect it's because the insulation isn't amazing on the fridge. It made a pretty big difference in my tests on my unit. I just made the bag from foiled bubble wrap that was used by our weekly food vendor for the cold stuff. Some duct tape and cardboard to stiffen the lid portion. I will be making a second layer this spring in the same manner and expect to get another 2-4 hours of runtime out of that 'upgrade'.

My fridge is so small I can run it plugged into the car AC in the back, but of course that isn't useful when not driving. Using the small (380wh) LFP 12V out and have the LFP plugged into the AC outlet to charge while driving. We usually drive everyday, so this works completely fine. When parked, I get about 24 hours on the LFP for the little fridge, a bit less when it's 90 out, and a lot more when it's 60 out.

Having a 'memory' of the last temp used would be my biggest 'must have' feature. My fridge defaults to 0 deg whenever it is powered or reset, so that immediately means I have to manually change the temp back to what it needs to be every time it gets disconnected.

Ok so I've settled on 4 options currently, in the order I'm generally considering. Pretty likely to go with #1 and mostly I just want someone to talk me out of it if I'm being a moron:
  1. Ironman 65L dual zone fridge + slide + cover. Secop compressor. With discount code BRR24 it's ~$1035 delivered. Ironman almost always seems to have a sale going on. Bonus: I like the ~60/40 split setup better than the 50/50 Iceco. Downside: that stupid bright green they use to highlight bits of it
  2. Iceco 65L dual zone fridge + slide. Secop compressor. I missed the V-day sale but just received a "flash sale" good until tomorrow, plus discount code SMS provides another 8% off. $1106 delivered. I assume these sales must come and go all the time.
  3. Kick Ass 75L dual zone + slide + cover. Secop compressor. $1188 delivered using discount code PRESIDENTS24. I like the layout on these. Bonus they have a great name. Downside is if something goes wrong I don't know the serviceability as they seem to be smaller than Ironman and while they have a west coast distribution point they are an Australian company largely.
  4. Euhomy 55L single zone (about $200 via Amazon Warehouse) plus a $150 slide. Total cost about $350. I could spend another $65 and buy the Ironman slide so I can easily convert to that fridge in the future if I'm unhappy with this (really more "when" since other than cost I know it's not going to work nearly as well). Presumably cheap chinese compressor, control panel, etc. Why is this still on my list? Because it's really hard to justify 4x the cost
Anyone have experience with the Ironman fridges? From what I've seen/read these are just rebranded Indel B and seem to be pretty good quality.

We see a lot of Iceco, Dometic, ARB, National Luna, etc... Never heard of any of those failing during use. They're all phenomenally reliable from what we've seen. I'd have a hard time justifying the savings on the cheaper no-name stuff. A failed fridge on a trip would be more than a couple hundred $$ worth of annoyance for me, but I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like so any trip being compromised is a big deal these days. 🤷

As far as simplifying life, I know one company that makes a pretty comprehensive (albeit not inexpensive) way to store all that gear and reduce the advanced-Tetris skills required to pack and unpack. :)

1708383827792.png

1708383893639.png

I vote for the ironamn setup. That 60/40 split will allow for a much better and efficient use of space to split up the frozen and fridge goods. This is something i would have liked to have seen in my Iceco.
Also having that larger 60 split available will allow you to run a single zone at times and save on energy usage. I like that the ironamn has an app so you can much more conveniently monitor things and make sure it's at temp and actually running and didn't somehow get unplugged...been there, fortunately the temps were cool enough overnight that the food didnt spoil in my iceco.
I would venture to guess that those iceco, ironamn...etc that all use the Secop/Danfoss compressor system are all pretty much the same internally and made in the same chinese factory.

We see a lot of Iceco, Dometic, ARB, National Luna, etc... Never heard of any of those failing during use. They're all phenomenally reliable from what we've seen. I'd have a hard time justifying the savings on the cheaper no-name stuff. A failed fridge on a trip would be more than a couple hundred $$ worth of annoyance for me, but I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like so any trip being compromised is a big deal these days. 🤷

As far as simplifying life, I know one company that makes a pretty comprehensive (albeit not inexpensive) way to store all that gear and reduce the advanced-Tetris skills required to pack and unpack. :)

View attachment 3561854
View attachment 3561855
Heh, fair enough. If I had s bunch of $ I'd love to go this route, but I'm limited on my annual upgrade budget.

Another way of looking at the $1000 vs $400 question for me is "Do I get a good fridge and continue using my portable Superflo air compressor again this year or do I get a cheap fridge and also an ARB compressor?" (Note I'm assuming my top 3 are all good fridges given the price and similar compressors used).

1000003416.jpg

Ok, talking you out of it. I moved away from the slide and chest style.
The slide is heavy and expensive. Everything falls down the back of the fridge unless you have the fridge in a box. I had the sliding floor type slide on top of the boxes. Which worked but the fridge was still too high, we found our selves climbing on the tail gate to see in the fridge. I considered a drop down slide, which was $800.
So I moved to a vertical Dometic , everything is now easy reach and in a smaller footprint, the fridge makes its volume with its vertical height.
I made the box the fridge is mounted to removable with 4 bolts. Which gives me the flat floor back when not installed.
Also I dont have to go digging for something buried at the bottom of the chest fridge as everything is on shelves or the door racks.
The only negative I have found with this fridge is the temp control is just a scale, not a set temperature. So not as fine tunable.

View attachment 3561856

Ok, talking you out of it. I moved away from the slide and chest style.
The slide is heavy and expensive. Everything falls down the back of the fridge unless you have the fridge in a box. I had the sliding floor type slide on top of the boxes. Which worked but the fridge was still too high, we found our selves climbing on the tail gate to see in the fridge. I considered a drop down slide, which was $800.
So I moved to a vertical Dometic , everything is now easy reach and in a smaller footprint, the fridge makes its volume with its vertical height.
I made the box the fridge is mounted to removable with 4 bolts. Which gives me the flat floor back when not installed.
Also I dont have to go digging for something buried at the bottom of the chest fridge as everything is on shelves or the door racks.
The only negative I have found with this fridge is the temp control is just a scale, not a set temperature. So not as fine tunable.
I’ve considered this but doesn’t stuff fall out when you open it, especially after off-roading?

I may have already mentioned this, but our National Luna dual zone on a Alucab tilt and slide has been phenomenal. We have two other portable fridges that never get used on trips since it works so well.

You couldn't pay me to run anything sold with an Ironman label, but that's a matter of personal preference. Their stuff is like a sad copy of better made stuff, like when you photocopy a photocopy of a photocopy.

I'd take the generic fridge and ARB dual compressor. But I probably overindex on the value of easy air up and down. It's just removing barriers
Then I'd go generic. I have a couple minor Ironman parts and they seem completely fine (an 'en-suite, some lights, some straps). I also agree with above that the 2nd tier fridges are probably all made on the same assembly line. I think that the 1st tier fridges probably are too. But it probably isn't that simple.

My 2 cents and it would seem against the grain here.

I prefer a compact <50 qt single zone fridge. It's easy to get caught up in more - capacity, dual zones, features. At the end of the day, it's one dimension of the trip loadout, which will have to be traded with other parts for space utilization, weight, ergonomics, and importantly power (which then drives the need for more batts/charging/solar).

As with most things, it's a balance and less can be more.

Instead of more capacity, I try to pack more efficiently. Using ziplocks, vacuum sealers. I may not be able to load all my drinks at once but it's a fridge and will cool drinks when rotated in.

I have an Iceco 42 and it's all I need.

From my perspective, it’s National Luna all the way. Engle is a close second. Paul @Equipt takes fantastic care of you and your gear and is always willing to stand behind every single thing he sells. That’s worth something to me. I’ve had NL for many years and have had zero issues. Like the gentleman above said, but once and cry once. They last a very long time.

I’ve considered this but doesn’t stuff fall out when you open it, especially after off-roading?

Its a pretty sweet setup and if I was in the market, I think I would probably go this way. There are some trade-offs with every option, and with the vertical fridge, you lose a little raw capacity (compared to the empty rectangle box), but you gain more organization and visibility (re: no digging around for something at the bottom of the fridge), and significantly more convenience. It was nice to open the fridge and see/grab and go.

I do suspect that if you were parked on a steep incline, you might have something slide/roll toward you, but by the same token, if you are parked on that steep of a hill, sliding out 30 lbs of fridge and food can also be an experience.

At the risk of oversimplifying, most fridges use SECOP compressors, Engel uses a swingmotor, and Dometic/Waeco use their own proprietary variable speed compressor. There are going to be variations in the build quality of the case, insulation, control, etc but the heart of the fridge is the compressor. The Engel has a fantastic reputation for reliability, but it's not like SECOP compressors are garbage either. My parents have been replacing the Dometic in their RV roughly every year, so based on that I decided against the variable speed compressor. I suspect that their dometic failures have more to do with periodic use and excessive vibration, but I'd rather not be the guinea pig for that theory.

I went with a cheaper SECOP fridge (AU discount brand Adventure Kings, no idea who manufactures it) and it's been running 24/7 for just under a year now in our LC150. We picked up a cheap wireless temperature monitor so we can keep an eye on it; the fridge rarely goes outside of +-1C of the 3C set-point. I keep beer and fry sauce in it at all times. The beer is such a luxury and the fry sauce comes in clutch when you get shorted on sauce for your to-go order.

My parents have been replacing the Dometic in their RV roughly every year, so based on that I decided against the variable speed compressor. I suspect that their dometic failures have more to do with periodic use and excessive vibration, but I'd rather not be the guinea pig for that theory.

Isn't that the truth. Funny how Dometic has less than a shiny reputation in the RV market but they are almost the default for RV gear.

I upgraded from an IndelB to a National Luna and I love it. It’s worth the extra money. Paul May at Equipt says it’s the Sub-Zero of 12V fridges.

I’ve had two coworkers who both went the super cheap (<$300) fridge route. One of them gave me crap all the time about how much I spent on my ARB fridges. Both of their fridges have stopped working for no reason. It didn’t seem like any kind of mechanical failure but more like an electronic failure. Both my coworkers have now moved onto their second fridge. The cheap brand they bought on Amazon is now nonexistent.

It’s a fridge….in your car. It’s not going to break down and strand you on the side of the road. But it’s going to be annoying if it fails. I say buy once, cry once.

Have had my Waeco CF40 in the back of my 80 series since 2005, never missed a beat and still works perfectly
Recently picked up a dual zone 75L which I only use for longer trips with the family

whichever fridge you go for modify the power lead to use an Anderson Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom