Outer edge of rotor ground down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reznunt

Massive Metal Shop
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
massivemetalshop.com
I noticed a swirling, low-pitched, rotational scraping sound while driving down the highway at speeds where the wind noise was low enough to notice the sound. The sound had lessened to a whisper by the time I got home about 100 miles later, and only when turning left at near full lock. The remaining sound might not even be related to the original sound since it only occurs while turning. Upon inspection, I found this:

20240203_125730.jpg

20240203_125734.jpg

Dust shield still looks fine. So I took the caliper off to look for stuck debris but found nothing. Looked on the floor for a ground down rock or something similar but found nothing.

20240203_130815.jpg

20240203_130823.jpg

Checked clearance between caliper and rotor and saw daylight on both sides:

20240203_131815.jpg

Any guesses on what it could be? I'm thinking it was stuck debris that ground down and fell out on the way home and now I'm chasing a different sound that I found while listening for the original scraping sound.

It's the missing brake pad release spring. It probably dislodged and was rubbing on the rotor before falling off the caliper.

No idea what I could be, but you could perhaps use a sharpie to mark/ color that side, rotate and see if the sharpie is still there. If yes: might have been debris and all good. If not: problem still existing.

It's the missing brake pad release spring. It probably dislodged and was rubbing on the rotor before falling off the caliper.
I think this is your answer. I don't see it in your pictures

1707171591601.png

Last edited:
I think this is your answer. I don't see it in your pictures

View attachment 3551321

Never had that W spring... either the 98 FSM doesnt call for it or I have aftermarket pads in there and the spring didnt fit. I cant remember which. That's why the holes in the pads where the springs hook into are covered in brake dust.

I don't know if it is the same problem but the wear pattern is similar.

I don't know if it is the same problem but the wear pattern is similar.

The wear pattern on the rotor is the same. Interesting, thanks! My caliper doesn't look like it has the same grind marks as the OP in that thread. I did install new OEM bearings 38k mi ago with the proper preload. I'll check for play once the weather lets up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom