Rotor Grind (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello- Got new tires 285/75/16 put on the LC last week. 4 days later wife reports grinding sound when braking coming from driver rear. Take off wheel and inspect. Indeed there is a grinding sound when turning the hub but also uneven wear on the pads. Outer pad is almost gone and inner has a little life left. I have done brakes several times so not " new " to this but wanted to see if anyone had any input before I just put new rotors and pads on and buttoned it up. Anything specific to look out for given the above symptoms ? Bizzare that this grinding just occured and didnt gradually come on. Why would all of a sudden the brakes just start grinding wihout any lead up ?

If the pad material breaks apart, it'll grind without any lead up.

Sticky piston. I had the same issue, pushed the pistons back in with new pads, machined the rotors and it has been good since. You might get away with that, you might want new or rebuilt calipers as well.

I had similar symptoms recently - one pad totally gone, the other with lots of life. My pistons were fine. The pads on the rear sit on a torque plate attached to the caliper via two sliding pins. The pins need grease to function correctly; if the sealing boots are damaged (or the grease is really old) they can seize up. That's what happened in my case. I replaced the pins and boots and greased it and it's been fine since. (See this post.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom