FJ40 on a freeway? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i had one with a boxed frame pto winch and 1/4" plate body and it went 50 all day long .55 down hill ,weighed in at 52 hundred lbs with the 40" tires and rear winch .did ok at the truck pulls suprised some of the truck guys .rust is not our friend here

for over 35 years a 40 was my dd went to cali and back a few time did rubicon in about 73 ,74 kept my 40s in good shape and never worried about the world ,still dont

Thanks all for your response. I have rarely taken my 40 on the highway, only once truthfully for a few minuets due to poor navigation by my passenger :doh:

Its got a chevy 350, 4.11, and 35 inch tires. Im asking because im looking to try my luck with an overland trip out here in Texas, and all the good locations are far away from plano. I have no issue staying on frontage roads the entire time, but a few of the other drivers do.

i am simply just curious. i aswell have no tach, so i appreciate the link to the RPM calculator. i completely agree that it is all about responsibility, as well as knowing your vehicle. I have no doubt that driving a 40 on the highway is dangerous.... but lets be real, driving a 40 is dangerous in general ;)

i think with the right precautions, like a team of rigs taking in slow TOGETHER, it may not be as bad.... but i guess i just need to test it out myself.
@BroderickDover both my sons (20 and 16 years old) daily 40s. Both 1972 vintage. Both with V8s. On has an LS (capri blue) the other an SBC (FST green). LS is mated to an h55f with 4:11 diffs and 33 inch tires. SBC is mated to a 3spd on the floor with 4:11 and 33” tires. We regularly hit the San Juans (2k mile round trip) to hit the trails. Both do 75mph-80 mph there and back. LS truck has a tach and he is at 2900 rpm at about 80 mph. I live in Rowlett. We should connect at some point.

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6077.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

Original, tired (but smooth running) 1.5F
38" tires
4.11 diffs
FJ60 steering with hydro assist (steering tightness is an important part of this conversation)
She runs as fast as the 1F will push. Starts to feel unsafe north of 75, but still smooth. Switching to a split case and swapping my homemade driveshafts for professionally balanced ones cut way down on the noise and vibration

33x10.50s
H42
Strong running 2f desmogged with a new oe non us carb, jetted with no for thought to economy.
Armstrong steering box
3:70s
If i want to, it will do 80-85 effortlessly.
typically cruise 70-75
Recently took a several hundred mile trip at mostly 45 ish and it returned 16 or better mpg.

i’d agree with the above post about steering tightness. that’s my limiting factor. i have a 72 with sbc and 4 speed. new springs/bushings and shocks. before that upgrade it felt like it wanted to kill me every time i took it for a drive. after new suspension i hit 60mph earlier this week accidentally in a 50 zone because it was so smooth. it surprised me i was going that fast. i could easily go that speed all day comfortably and safely. 80mpg might feel a little squirly with mild sloppiness in manual steering. i have a mini truck power steering set up ready when i get some time though

yeah with my sbc, 4 11 gears, 3 speed, manual steering that is all freshly rebuilt with new draglink rod ends and relay and tie rods, and new springs I feel safe going about 55 max. Luckily I never have to go hwy speeds fast where I live.

My 73 FJ40 was my daily driver when I lived in the bay area. Stock engine / trans / diff, OME suspension on 32s, manual steering - I would drive it on the freeway all the time, loaded to go camping or similar it would cruise at 65 pretty happily. Loaded up and it would strain going up hills over 55. Slight downhill and it would hit 70 pretty happily.

I have never had any dependability issues with the truck, once got stuck in a blizzard going from SF to Tahoe (left the city at 7pm, and arrived at 7am) and it performed wonderfully running / idling for 12 hours.

Like most folks here, I have a car with all of the modern amenities that I’ll drive if I need to get somewhere in a hurry. But when I take the 40 I’m not in a rush to get anywhere. It’s me anyway, it’s fun to drive 50ish. For a 53 year-old tractor that’s plenty fast enough. It’s not how fast you can go. It’s what will happen if something catastrophic occurs. I don’t think these things will fare very well in a high speed crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom