Going from 09 to 13. Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I moved a few of my rolling stock to upgrade (slightly) and get myself out of car purgatory. I had one sitting not being used and it would be brought up not infrequently when amongst friends by the Mrs. I decided to be proactive and sell two, get a lower mileage LX, and get her a new RX. Thus completely regaining favored husband status.

Having completely gone through my 09 and making it good, I know what I need to do for the most part. My old one was approaching 200k and pretty much everything had been addressed either by the time I got it or I did the maintenance.

The 13 I found has 110k on it and was serviced every 5k by the dealer. Great history. Zero issues.

What would you attack? Should I replace the radiator for prevention or did the 13s up figure that out? Heater T's. Starter, etc.

The console cooler is stupid. That is my take. I almost never travel with Chardonnay. Maybe that will change.

Thanks in advance for any abuse.

tempImageU3qTpF.png

Things I'd worry about if I were you, you occasionally ( or often ) being in unfavored husband status. You might want to ask your wife's boyfriend for updates on how you are doing.

You not being aware that beer fits in the center console refrigerator.

If you want to keep your wife, make her aware that other women are interested in you. You're not doing anything about it right now, but you could.

Maybe you were just joking about the wife, if so ignore the above.

Sorry , my daughter drives a RX and keeps her husbands balls in a jar. He is allowed to play with his model airplanes when he is not working. Your post touched a nerve.

I was joking. I have 6 cars. She’s pretty cool about it. She needed a new one and wanted better mileage than a GX.

And not enough beer would fit in the cooler to even bother.

My sack is mine!

I even get to go fish on Mother’s Day. For a bit…

Change out the notorious items that need to be done between 100-120K, baseline it and enjoy. BTW, I grew to love the console cooler, I use it to keep drinks cold on long drives and revive hot drinks, I wouldn't want to give it up after having one.

Let me ask you this, between the 09 and the 13 what are the things you find useful or an upgrade? I am considering an 11 to 15 but wasn't sure if it's what I really want. Love the color on that 13.

I can't speak to the changes on the second facelift from the first years, but the 12-15 MY are the same truck. Unless changed out recently, your radiator is the older design, I'd plan to swap that out along with the water pump and t-hoses. Starter, alternator, plugs, and fluids should be considered as well if you want to baseline it and start fresh.

Baselines fluids for any fluids not identified in the service history. Starter for sure as that's a PITA to have it fail in the wrong situation. And it has a high likelihood to fail without warning in the next 10-30k miles. Radiator, I would possibly change given inspection of the well known crack and how progressed it is. If the crack is mild, I'd epoxy it and it will no longer be a likely failure mode. Do the water pump with the radiator.

Check that the fuel pump recall was performed.

Beyond that, I'd not touch a thing. I don't believe the alternator has arisen as a problem area in this model.

Viper- I like the LED DRLs and I like the black interior on this one vs the tan on the 09. Other than that, the stereo being bluetooth capable is big enough to leave the Levinson alone.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am going to do radiator, Ts, and water pump. How speedy is the starter replacement these days?

The AHC service has been done. I am going to do x-fer case and diffs.

Thanks TeCK- I'll look up the fuel pump recall.

So I moved a few of my rolling stock to upgrade (slightly) and get myself out of car purgatory. I had one sitting not being used and it would be brought up not infrequently when amongst friends by the Mrs. I decided to be proactive and sell two, get a lower mileage LX, and get her a new RX. Thus completely regaining favored husband status.

Having completely gone through my 09 and making it good, I know what I need to do for the most part. My old one was approaching 200k and pretty much everything had been addressed either by the time I got it or I did the maintenance.

The 13 I found has 110k on it and was serviced every 5k by the dealer. Great history. Zero issues.

What would you attack? Should I replace the radiator for prevention or did the 13s up figure that out? Heater T's. Starter, etc.

The console cooler is stupid. That is my take. I almost never travel with Chardonnay. Maybe that will change.

Thanks in advance for any abuse.

View attachment 3321882
My radiator went out last week on my 13 LX at (almost) exactly 110K so the problem was not fixed in 13.

I thought the same thing about the cooler (I would rather have the storage) but I find it pretty useful now. Just remember you can't turn off the AC until turning off the cooler first.

Congrats on the rig.. my friends have a white 13 LX and it is a great truck.

Just to put the info out there, the radiator issue wasn't fixed until late 2018 when the new design hit the shelves.

2013 refresh = HID low beams, LED DRLs, updated MFI in the cluster, different wheels, a few other things. 2010 got bluetooth audio.

I have the same truck including interior and paint. Only 10k more miles.
Great truck! Your todo list is good.
You may find the roof rack a bit limiting. I have a canoe and I switched my rack to the LC OEM. I do not need aftermarket for what I do. Even when I get a RTT I'll still use the OEM (LC) rack.
Other good to get thing is paint protection film on the hood and front bumper especially if you drive a lot in winter... scratch that I saw you are in KS.

Enjoy!!!

Going to study the radiator fix, but I think I might just replace.

doru- I had some wicked roof top issues on my 100 from a guy who put it on wrong and did not seal. I got it sorted out but it made me hate them. Plus wind noise was bad on my Victory.

I have a Tundra and a farm truck if I need any real hauling done. I kayak fish a bunch and just throw it in the truck.

I did build a sleeping platform in the 09 and took it out. Luckily it will fit right back in the 13.

Congrats on the rig.. my friends have a white 13 LX and it is a great truck.

Just to put the info out there, the radiator issue wasn't fixed until late 2018 when the new design hit the shelves.

2013 refresh = HID low beams, LED DRLs, updated MFI in the cluster, different wheels, a few other things. 2010 got bluetooth audio.
+MTS and 2 more crawl control speeds, and that sweet sweet 12v port in the 2nd row.

Let me ask you this, between the 09 and the 13 what are the things you find useful or an upgrade? I am considering an 11 to 15 but wasn't sure if it's what I really want. Love the color on that 13.
I did this exact thing, went from an '11 to a '15, and was very glad I did. Both were white, but otherwise much improved. Unlike others, I really like and use the radar cruise when I can, and the Bluetooth audio connection is appreciated.

Plus the '15 came with RW wheels on it already.

that sweet sweet 12v port in the 2nd row.

No kidding, that's a huge thing!

Now if they would have also included a 12V port in the 3rd row. Instead we get a lukewarm inverter that can't really power anything.

Kinda gimmicky but turn assist as well.

I did this exact thing, went from an '11 to a '15, and was very glad I did. Both were white, but otherwise much improved. Unlike others, I really like and use the radar cruise when I can, and the Bluetooth audio connection is appreciated.

Plus the '15 came with RW wheels on it already.
Thanks for the info @KLF and what is the RW wheel?

Thanks for the info @KLF and what is the RW wheel?
Forged 17” wheel that came on “rock warrior” edition tundras. Very, very light, strong, decent looking, better offset, and turning into unobtanium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom