Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So we have tried an OME 861 in front now. That is the first springs we used. 861 is a small lift, about 3/4” and a progressive coil. The second coils we tried are 851’s. They are better but we are shooting for another inch.

When we setup the front suspension at our desired ride height we planned on 5” of shock shaft. They are 10” Kings and we want to use the full 5” up and down. If you have followed the build you have seen we have checked full compression. Clearance for tire in wheel well is why we moved the front axle forward. Bumper edge trimmed for the same reason. With fresh unsettled 851’s we have 4.25” of shaft showing. The front end of the 79 is really heavy with the bumper, 12k winch and FTE. Normally we run an 850 front and 863 rear in 80’s for a level rake if the have rear bumper, sliders, ect. We are not dealing with an 80 here though. We could use a spacer but John hates them. Don’t want to go down the path of using coils from Dobinsons or elsewhere for a number of reason. I think an 850 will do it but if not an 850J certainly will.

Rear is all good with 862’s. That is also a 3/4”ish lifted coil. We are certainly getting more with a really light back end but it is where we want to be for ride height. 862’s are also a progressive coil so good for weight loading. We have discussed and John knows if he wants to carry 1,000lbs around he needs air bags. Not installing those currently.

We always wait until the end of a build to dial in suspension. It is and was planned for a certain ride height and rake. To get it just right sometimes requires playing with different coil springs. Shocks have been adjusted a few times now and are pretty dialed other than a test in the desert.

Excited to see the Cruiser after the interior work!

Cheers
I went through all those combinations with mine as well. A little frustrating but finally settling with the 850j’s up front.

A801E3BD-6C73-4934-BDD2-43AB650A7710.jpeg

Here it is with the 850’s in front. The 851’s sagged 3/4’s of an inch in two weeks.

BF59EE6D-3711-4C18-AEED-0FEC0DB77903.jpeg
DAA060EA-1BD8-4C01-9554-781A82BC35EF.jpeg
B0BE3B7C-F649-4CFA-8D06-EAF890E86F93.jpeg

The 850’s give us that 5” of front shock shaft at ride height we are after. Thing is they are going to settle so I ordered up some 850J’s.

We will get the 79 on some scales before it is all said and done. I am pretty curious what total weight is as well as distribution of the weight.

I will say I feel like the 79 handles very well, perhaps better than an 80. It is a bit different being part time 4wd vs full time. The 79 handles corners excellent though out on the roads.

Cheers

I don’t really want to detour the thread with radio discussion but I have a few questions. I keep going back and forth on comms for this truck - or really in general. I’ve got a ham tech license but not sure I want to go ham or something else (GMRS/CB or?) or nothing. Im looking for someone with a pretty good knowledge in this area to PM me if interested in answering a few questions.

Proper indeed. I had Dave make me up a set of Sunday-go-to-meetin’ tools thst looks very similar to that.

Quick update.

79 is going out for an alignment tomorrow. Back in the shop after that to start cranking out the final check list.

Cheers

It kind of scares me that a ball-peen hammer is what the engineers feel is a necessity in the vehicle toolkit. :oops: You can get away with most maintenance items with a 10 and 12mm wrenches and a phillips screwdriver.

We made this kit up, I don’t think Toyota meant for the hammer to be in the 79’s kit. It’s a rad hammer though, use mine all the time. 😉🤙

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom