Troopy Automatic conversion - 1HD-FTE - A750 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

Due to a recent Charcot Left foot injury I am no longer able to drive my Manual Troopy and while selling it would be way cheaper I have way too much invested in the old girl to give it up and seriously there is no other vehicle and motor that will suit my needs.
So I am just starting down the path of installing an Automatic transmission from a Sahara 100 series that lived behind the same motor as mine - 1HD-FTE.
I know there has been some discussion on this in previous threads and yes I can do more searching and I will over next few weeks but any help this group can provide will be appreciated.

Firsty I am located in New Beith - Brisbane QLD Australia
I am chasing electrical diagrams and plug pinout information for both the gearbox, shifter and transfer case - I have a good understanding of electrical and electronics being both an electrician and Ham Radio opperator (VK4FSD) and work with Automation equipment - limited programming experience.
I know there is the compushift computer that is avaliable from Wholesale Automatcs here in Australia that comes with a wiring harnes for about $3500!! but that is currently out of my budget - eventually it may be the way I need to go but keen to explore other avenues including building my own with your help?

So fire away give me your best/worst

firstly, sorry to hear about the situation,,,,

in regards to the4 swap in question, i have absolutely no idea but knowing how Toyota does things i'd like to think the donor vehicle could not only provide the trans, but ECU, ECU harness and trans sub harness, it would be a tedious process of unpinning your existing harness from the ECU plug and repinning it into the auto ECU plug, but that may be a real option.

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your left foot.

Getting all the ECUs to work right may be a pain but it should be possible to do.

What about swapping in both the engine and the transmission from the donor 100 Series?

Juan

Cool, always fun following someone’s project. Maybe you can get some “free” info on the Facebook group “troupcarriera of Australia “ I think it’s called
LOL yep one of the original members of that group and I am admin on the 75-78 Serries Troop Carrier page and have asked similar questions on these,
Just expanding my options contact wise.

Sorry to hear about your foot as well. That sounds painful.

Here's an out of the box idea ... does your troopy currently have a clutch booster? If not, you can add one and make the clutch WAY easier to press. Additionally, you could even add a mega booster (like the same size as your brake booster) and make the clutch feather light.

I actually just added a clutch booster to my truck. I was amazed at how much of a difference it made. And that booster was about half the size of the brake booster.

I'm not sure if this would resolve your issue, but it would be WAY easier to add a clutch booster than swapping engines / transmissions.

i'd like to think the donor vehicle could not only provide the trans, but ECU, ECU harness and trans sub harness
What RHINO suggested. Way faster and easier to use the OEM ECU's and wiring harnesses. If the original donor vehicle is no longer available, start with searching wreckers for the same.

Sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope you find a solution that works for you so you can keep enjoying the troopy you have put your heart into! All the best! :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your foot as well. That sounds painful.

Here's an out of the box idea ... does your troopy currently have a clutch booster? If not, you can add one and make the clutch WAY easier to press. Additionally, you could even add a mega booster (like the same size as your brake booster) and make the clutch feather light.

I actually just added a clutch booster to my truck. I was amazed at how much of a difference it made. And that booster was about half the size of the brake booster.

I'm not sure if this would resolve your issue, but it would be WAY easier to add a clutch booster than swapping engines / transmissions.
Hi
Yep did look at that option and while way cheaper and easier the Auto path is something I have been wanting to do for years so this has simply moved that priority up several notches.. I have the Box and now a shifter, motor in my Troopy is the same as the donor transmisssion came off so should just bolt on.. ECU and wiring is my next main expense apart from modifying the tail shafts so hopfully in the next few months the fun should begin..
One of the mods I will do is a valve body upgrade, apparently this makes the Auto way more reliable and responsive and a local shop can do the work.

Dont Wholesale Automatics (Ask Orto) in Aus (Branches in all major centres) actually have a complete A750 kit for converting the 1HD FTE to Auto complete with an TCU

However the last price I got from them would require donating more than a few gold bars

I was considering finding a used 100series VX TD auto box, these are readily available here - but was also unsure about the TCU/ECU requirement

I will be following this thread as Im interested in fitting an Auto to my 78 series 1HD FTE

Dont Wholesale Automatics (Ask Orto) in Aus (Branches in all major centres) actually have a complete A750 kit for converting the 1HD FTE to Auto complete with an TCU

However the last price I got from them would require donating more than a few gold bars

I was considering finding a used 100series VX TD auto box, these are readily available here - but was also unsure about the TCU/ECU requirement

I will be following this thread as Im interested in fitting an Auto to my 78 series 1HD FTE
Hi
Yes the do and I have been speaking to them.
The kit minus transmission is not much shy of 10K but includes things I don't need or can get made/altered locally
The main part I need is the ECU and wiring and short of finding something else I will most likely be purchasing that from them.
But while I know all of this I still like being able to speak to others who have done such a conversion as I know it's been done by several.
I do have a mate who runs a workshop (VEOP) and they recently did a 76 series V8 auto conversion so can lend some knowledge from his guys and I have already spoken to them, plus a local workshop has also done several 100 or 80 series upgrades so again I have spoken to them and will more than likely get them to supply some of the gear or at least upgrade the valve pack.
But without throwing questions out there how am I to know all of the answers, loopholes and things to look out for?
By no means do I think this will be a totally painless modification but hope to get it right the first time and be back on the road camping on Fraser and the Simpson Desert again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom