Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happy Easter everybody......

Got the majority of the top side welding done on the bed. Alittle grinding then reinstall the floor and tack that in place. Then I will flip / rotate bed to finish the bottom welding and hard to get spots.

Then primer and bodywork.......

20230409_113554.jpg

Always bothers me when a PO cuts the posts on the hard top side. The top gets a long of it's strength the those posts when it goes thru top and bottom holes in the tub. With the factory soft top bows your can stand on the running board and rock the cruiser side to side and the bows do not flex. Never seen a jeep you could do that too. Never had interest in a soft top for my first FJ40 until I bought my first FST. Tie rods I believe will fit inside the tube and can be used to get the strength back in the hard top sides

View attachment 3286421
The ‘76 I have is missing the rods that side into the tub on one side. Got the rattles 🙄. I imagine it is a pretty easy fix for a talented welder with some stock?

Got in some grind time. Everything is relatively smooth and should not need much filler.
I splurged and bought some good mud though. It's the fiberglass reinforced body filler.

View attachment 3296384View attachment 3296385
Is this the mud we are all supposed to hate?

Your build is the stuff of dreams, I so enjoy watching you do you. Thanks for documenting this, it really is a treat.

Ian

Your build is the stuff of dreams, I so enjoy watching you do you. Thanks for documenting this, it really is a treat.

Ian
Well... I certainly hate it. I would rater have visible work than do it... almost. I'd still rather have visible patches.

I have improved and learned a lot. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but the most important thing has to be to toss it once it starts to set... nothing good can come from using mud that's kicking off. :D

If you have trouble with that fiber reinforced body filler like I did, I’d highly recommend ever coat rage gold body filler. The fiber glass wouldn’t lay down smooth enough for me and required a ton of sanding. Rage gold sticks really well, sands well, and goes on nicely.

Also remember with body filler, and soon paint, spend 5 times as long on prep as you do the application of product. If you don’t have a good and CLEAN surface, whatever you put on top will no adhere correctly and can break its bond.

This build is too awesome for a bad finish.

Ian
People are leery of mud because you don’t know what it’s hiding not because it’s bad. It’s only bad when not used properly. On an offroad vehicle it can make sense to skip it if you aren’t too concerned with a smooth and straight finish.

People are leery of mud because you don’t know what it’s hiding not because it’s bad. It’s only bad when not used properly. On an offroad vehicle it can make sense to skip it if you aren’t too concerned with a smooth and straight finish.
I guess now is the time to admit I was joking.

I appreciate the straightforward responses though, I guess I’ve always wondered what mud did what to @woody to make him h8 it so…

I am no master metal man, so some body filler is required. It's not like I am covering rust with it. Anyways, even high end hot rods and such have some filler. Like stated above, it's how it's used. Plus, this truck WILL get wheeled and beat on off road. It's not a show truck.

Anyways, I welded up the huge seem in the bed floor. Some grinding to knock it down a bit. Then used the DA to smooth it out and rough up the rest of the bed floor. I am going to do some bed liner on the floor later too. Again, working truck.

20230412_175221.jpg

We have lift off........the bed that is. Got it flipped over onto the cart. My friend Pat and I were able to move it pretty easily. Probably weights 300 plus lbs.

Still need to weld the bottom. You can see where I notched the rails to clear the shock tube on the frame. This kept the bed floor as low as possible.

Gonna need more helpers once its painted and needs to be moved around some more.

20230413_183122.jpg
20230413_183208.jpg

Paint the bed upside down Jack. It will make for some interesting conversation about the direction of the runs 😉

Anyone seeing the bottom of the box will be busy talking about it being upside down… not the runs. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom