LC versus LX Steering Rack ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the Toyota rack in my 05 LX and have zero issues. I could not discern the difference in steering ratios with 33s and doubt I could have with factory size tires.
Ok that is good news. Do you have the part number for the Toyota rack for 2004? I have 44250-60100 from the local dealer and want to confirm that fits the 2004.

I'm also on this journey of needing a rack in my 07LX w/VGRS. Any others have positive or negative reports of how well the LC racks are working out in LXs?

Same as the other thread that you posted in, racks are (externally) physically the same, but internally different, my understanding is that the gear ratio is different.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that using the (non-VGRS) LC rack, in a VGRS LX, may stress the VGRS assembly.

In my opinion, saving money on the LC rack, by potentially putting the VGRS system under stress, and giving incorrect data to VSC, seems extremely short sighted, but what do I know…

I'm also on this journey of needing a rack in my 07LX w/VGRS. Any others have positive or negative reports of how well the LC racks are working out in LXs?
I picked up an OEM one from Bell Lexus Parts for my 06 LX. Free shipping and decent discount off MSRP.

I've had an LC rack in my LX for maybe 2 years now. No issues. I actually prefer the slightly quicker steering ratio.

That's 2 years and maybe 50k miles, with a good bit of hard wheeling involved. I wouldn't have any concerns about it whatsoever.

LC rack in my ‘04 LX and no problems from the rack (that I know of) since October 2020.

All this talk of 03+ models. What about those of us driving our old 99 LX without the fancy Vgrs and VSC? Can we use the Toyota rack?

All this talk of 03+ models. What about those of us driving our old 99 LX without the fancy Vgrs and VSC? Can we use the Toyota rack?
98-02 LC or LX are the same P/N#. No difference in shipping box, rack & pinion or color marking.

VGRS first use in 100 series, was 2003 LX and only LX.

The 98-02 outer TRE LC or LX are same also.
The 03-07 outer TRE LC or LX the same also.
But 98-02 vs 03-07 outer TRE are not the same.

98-02 LC or LX are the same P/N#. No difference in shipping box, rack & pinion or color marking.

VGRS first use in 100 series, was 2003 LX and only LX.

The 98-02 outer TRE LC or LX are same also.
The 03-07 outer TRE LC or LX the same also.
But 98-02 vs 03-07 outer TRE are not the same.
Thanks Paul!

any updates on this thread? I have a 2003 Lexus (174K miles) and looking at a significant price difference from the OEM Lexus vs the Toyota. But aftermarrket CRP automotive does not show a difference.

any updates on this thread? I have a 2003 Lexus (174K miles) and looking at a significant price difference from the OEM Lexus vs the Toyota. But aftermarrket CRP automotive does not show a difference.
I’m at about 173k miles on my 2004 LX now, and no problems. No issues with alignment, steering response, or VGRS. For what it’s worth, I’m getting to the end of my life on the Michelin Defenders (275/70 R18) I put on at 98k miles, and they have worn perfectly with just alignments at installation and when I replaced the rack. Not saying you should do it that way, but it’s what I’ve done. I would definitely use the Toyota part again.

Jumping in here… FarmtruckLX sounds like we have a little in common, I have an 03 LX with 172k as well….
So I’ve read this entire thread and have a few questions. Currently I’m still in good shape I still have tight steering but rack has developed a tiny amount of weeping so I’m in the homework stage now.

1) Can the rack be replaced without having to reset or mess with the VGRS?… I was all in until I read that part then got a bit scared 😱. I don’t have tech stream and probably wouldn’t know how to use it if I did so I’m hoping not to have to mess with the VGRS

2) I know OEM is always the best road to take but are there any remanufactured racks that anyone would consider to be an option

Cheers

JohnnyMackerel, I can say that I’ve never used Tech Stream, and I wouldn’t know where to start with it. All the VGRS equipment is up higher on the steering column, and I seem to recall that it’s not even in the engine bay. For sure, I didn’t touch it during the replacement. I did not have to mess with the VGRS after installation.

I’d be curious to hear others’ thoughts on OEM vs. non-OEM. I was satisfied that going OEM was my best bet to only do this once. Also, I’ve read about folks replacing the bushings in the racks, and I figured I could be confident in the OEM bushings. I’m not wheeling mine. I could imagine a non-OEM rack having bushings that become problems prematurely, even without hard use.

JohnnyMackerel, I can say that I’ve never used Tech Stream, and I wouldn’t know where to start with it. All the VGRS equipment is up higher on the steering column, and I seem to recall that it’s not even in the engine bay. For sure, I didn’t touch it during the replacement. I did not have to mess with the VGRS after installation.

I’d be curious to hear others’ thoughts on OEM vs. non-OEM. I was satisfied that going OEM was my best bet to only do this once. Also, I’ve read about folks replacing the bushings in the racks, and I figured I could be confident in the OEM bushings. I’m not wheeling mine. I could imagine a non-OEM rack having bushings that become problems prematurely, even without hard use.
Good to hear that… that puts me back on track to some bloody knuckles in the near future. Still curious to hear anyone’s experience or opinion on a remanufactured rack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom