Aqualu is shutting down. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bummer. I was also starting to pinch pennies to save for possibly a tub and frame. Gotta be difficult to run that type of business when the cost of aluminum and steel is going through the roof. Plus skilled trade workers are demanding a premium right now. Then factor in decreased demand for goods over the next few years due to inflation. I don’t blame them. But I’m sad about it.

Well I want to make an engineering business after college one day, maybe this is a sign

That sucks.

I know some businesses that rely on parts that they only carry .... like Johnathan Ward's will need to change what they do. say what you want of Johnathans company tlc4x4... but... he IS as big a cruiserhead as anybody i've met and hate to see them stop their niche production.

just remembered that cruiser solutions relied on mostly their tubs for restorations as well

Aqualu was the only frame producer out there .... and I may need that in the future :(

Does anybody know if they are selling off their production dies and plans? somebody taking over the parts after?
It seems a guy like Jonathan Ward could take on the Aqualu operation to keep what he has going and expand his production options.

It would be nice if he continued to make body frame options available for home builders at the same time.

Maybe the development and shop set up of the new China 40 body parts in CA is not coincidence?

Only hope is probably China. Seems like all the costs under our system always leads to this.. China has huge manufacturing so perhaps they can see the market and continue production.

Best way to lose $1 million is to base your business on a bunch of forum losers and fickle mid-life crisis white guys.

[oh, sorry, did I say that?]
Yea I realize in the grand scheme of things, the people on mud are low in number and wouldn’t solely sustain a business, but I bet a broader engineering company that happened to sell aluminum tubs would do quite well. Out of college, I could probably model an fj40 tub pretty easily on solid works or some other cad software and make a plan for manufacture. I’d have to accumulate money though obviously

I’m still finding ideas for what I want to do, and a start to a legitimate business is probably a decade away, so I have time to think, but my friend approached me with this idea about AI, and I think it could be profitable if done. Obviously I’m not gonna talk about it much but if done right, it could jumpstart my goal to a profitable engineering business that could make things such as aqualu tubs in the future. That would be awesome.

They are suppliers to several shops that build vehicles. Icon uses them for every single icon made. They also make jeep bodies which several shops use. WOD uses them for all the jeeps they build that have a body. I would think jeeps are the majority of they're business. I think they make bronco bodies as well. Once you have a few jigs it's probably more straight forward.

Last edited:
Best way to lose $1 million is to base your business on a bunch of forum losers and fickle mid-life crisis white guys.

Jeez dude maybe us “white guys” should start screaming racism and reporting racist post made by a moderator on this forum. Racism goes both ways. All of it is unethical and inexcusable.

Bummer. I was also starting to pinch pennies to save for possibly a tub and frame. Gotta be difficult to run that type of business when the cost of aluminum and steel is going through the roof. Plus skilled trade workers are demanding a premium right now. Then factor in decreased demand for goods over the next few years due to inflation. I don’t blame them. But I’m sad about it.
I don’t blame them either. It’s not just skilled trades… getting workers who’ll show up every day is getting harder all the time. It used to be if you offered a fair wage and a good work environment that would be enough. Now McDonalds is offering $16-18 an hour to start (as are all the other fast food restaurants). Even with higher wages, employees don’t show up reliably.

Their material costs are skyrocketing, and I’m sure there they face all the same challenges as every other business owner. Eventually the 70 hour weeks catch up with you and passion about what you’re doing fades. I hope someone steps up and fills the hole left behind but understand why he’s closing his doors.

Happy retirement to the owner, I hope the next chapter of you life is fulfilling. :cheers:

My step dad started a business on his hobby (water fowl hunting) and now he has a multi-million dollar business. He started by just building custom transmissions and props for driving boats in mud (pretty niche). I know many fail, but you don’t know if you don’t try.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't several of the FJ40 inspired builders use Aqualu tubs on their builds? Like ICON? Or maybe they have their own... I don't know. Retiring I get, material costs for sure, just seems odd that no one at his place would grab this market share,

I get it. The labor, transport and material costs are rising so fast you feel guilty just passing it on and if you don't, you're out of business.
Costs for us went up more in the last three years than the previous 15

Completely different industry, but my prices are 40% above where they were Jan 1, 2020.

Material on my end is anywhere between 100% & 400% up in price.
I've given everyone in the shop a 15-20 percent bump in pay in that timeframe as well.

Isn't Aqualu an aluminium boat manufacturer as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom