Can't find source of weird noise, driving me NUTS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aaaand... The noise has returned.

So far I've fixed it by keeping the windows closed and turning up the radio. But it's still there.

Maddening. Will put up with it until I swap on the winter wheels, then try again.

I had a problem with an Audi years ago where I would get a ticking noise when I turned left and not make a noise when turning right - noticed it in parking garages. I mentioned it at the dealership and they seemed to know what it was right away and made an adjustment to the wheel bearing (not sure what that adjustment was). It was fixed/silenced though. I was surprised it was the bearing because it sounded for all the world like a stone in the tire or something hitting each time the tire went around. Like you, I had put it up on a lift and spun tires and looked for the noise to repeat or a stone to show itself, but there was no visible source to the noise. I guess the point is that sometimes bearings that are supposedly good for over 100K miles can have issues earlier on. My guess, you re-aligned something (wheel bearing or otherwise) when working on it, temporarily silencing the noise, which has fallen back to the path of least resistance causing the noise to resurface. Did you re-grease the bearings after inspecting them? If so, that may have temporarily masked the issue.

The problem with trying to identify an issue before failure is that you will often swallow spiders to catch flies. I once spent over $5,000 dollars on smoke tests and partial engine disassembly on a BMW 545 to try and solve how a few drops of oil were ending up on the garage floor and causing me to have to add 1qt of oil a month. Two dealerships and what I consider a good local mechanic were never able to find the source. I sold an otherwise solid car out of frustration, but would have been miles and dollars ahead if I just bought a case of Mobil 1 and put down some newspaper. I don't think your ticking noise will devolve into catastrophic failure in a few thousand miles - usually you get a better warning. Much more soothing to have it resolved rather than waiting for it to identify itself in dramatic fashion though. Sorry that you are having this frustrating experience - I feel your pain.

I had a problem with an Audi years ago where I would get a ticking noise when I turned left and not make a noise when turning right - noticed it in parking garages. I mentioned it at the dealership and they seemed to know what it was right away and made an adjustment to the wheel bearing (not sure what that adjustment was). It was fixed/silenced though. I was surprised it was the bearing because it sounded for all the world like a stone in the tire or something hitting each time the tire went around. Like you, I had put it up on a lift and spun tires and looked for the noise to repeat or a stone to show itself, but there was no visible source to the noise. I guess the point is that sometimes bearings that are supposedly good for over 100K miles can have issues earlier on. My guess, you re-aligned something (wheel bearing or otherwise) when working on it, temporarily silencing the noise, which has fallen back to the path of least resistance causing the noise to resurface. Did you re-grease the bearings after inspecting them? If so, that may have temporarily masked the issue.

The problem with trying to identify an issue before failure is that you will often swallow spiders to catch flies. I once spent over $5,000 dollars on smoke tests and partial engine disassembly on a BMW 545 to try and solve how a few drops of oil were ending up on the garage floor and causing me to have to add 1qt of oil a month. Two dealerships and what I consider a good local mechanic were never able to find the source. I sold an otherwise solid car out of frustration, but would have been miles and dollars ahead if I just bought a case of Mobil 1 and put down some newspaper. I don't think your ticking noise will devolve into catastrophic failure in a few thousand miles - usually you get a better warning. Much more soothing to have it resolved rather than waiting for it to identify itself in dramatic fashion though. Sorry that you are having this frustrating experience - I feel your pain.
The LC/LX bearings are sealed, nothing to grease. But there have been some others on the forum who had a bad bearing (rear, IIRC) which only made noise when the vehicle was driven on the ground - basically if the bearing was unloaded it was quiet. I had a front bearing on our Acura go around 40-50k miles... but that got very noisy as is typical with a bad bearing... still they can go much earlier than expected.

ChassisEar can be helpful in trying to track down this type of noise, especially front/rear and left/right as unless you have a finely tuned/experienced ear you're more or less just comparing sounds until you find the source (or at least some difference in location, since you can't actually attach to a CV or wheel bearing). I'd agree this sounds like a bearing to me, and I'd also agree it's unlikely to be some sort of catastrophic failure without a much more serious warning.

Just wanted to update this thread. I've spent a LOT of time trying to find the source of this noise, and so far... nothing, I can't find it, and it's getting really annoying. It only happens when there is weight on the wheels, but it is totally constant.

So... the other day I swapped wheels/tires for my winter set of OEM rims and Nokian R3s. Noise is totally GONE. Silent now. So it's something about the RW rims, or the BFG KO2's. I'll reiterate that I tried removing all the button screws and rings, and the center caps at one point and it made no difference, the noise was still there.

The BFG tires are getting worn so they are kinda noisy now, so I may splurge for new tires in the spring. But I can't figure out how tires could be causing the noise.

Aggravating... :mad:

Just wanted to update this thread. I've spent a LOT of time trying to find the source of this noise, and so far... nothing, I can't find it, and it's getting really annoying. It only happens when there is weight on the wheels, but it is totally constant.

So... the other day I swapped wheels/tires for my winter set of OEM rims and Nokian R3s. Noise is totally GONE. Silent now. So it's something about the RW rims, or the BFG KO2's. I'll reiterate that I tried removing all the button screws and rings, and the center caps at one point and it made no difference, the noise was still there.

The BFG tires are getting worn so they are kinda noisy now, so I may splurge for new tires in the spring. But I can't figure out how tires could be causing the noise.

Aggravating... :mad:
All tires holding pressure well? Rock warriors are forged and as a result prone to cracking in certain conditions..

All tires holding pressure well? Rock warriors are forged and as a result prone to cracking in certain conditions..
Tires were fine at keeping pressure, never had a minor leak.

Not sure how I can check for cracks. Do places do Magnaflux Testing? Probably won't work anyway on an alloy wheel.

Tires were fine at keeping pressure, never had a minor leak.

Not sure how I can check for cracks. Do places do Magnaflux Testing? Probably won't work anyway on an alloy wheel.
Pretty sure if you had a crack you'd be losing air, but that's not based on specific knowledge, only vague recollection of pictures I've seen of rock warriors cracked at the inside lip. And, it may have even been related to powder coat curing temps.. it's all getting fuzzy.

I think if you hold air the wheels are fine.

Still curious of the root cause though.

Could there be a nail IN your tire bouncing around? I had that happen on my mountain bike, I somehow had a finish nail that somehow punctured through my tire and ended up inside the tire. I didn't realize it until I switched tires. I run a tubeless setup so the tire must have healed itself. Just a thought.

Any chance something is loose inside a wheel bouncing around and making noise. A rock that got past the bead when on trail, piece of a tpms sensor, etc?

Any chance something is loose inside a wheel bouncing around and making noise. A rock that got past the bead when on trail, piece of a tpms sensor, etc?
I hadn't considered that, but I didn't hear anything when I was rolling them across the front yard to get them into the basement for storage. Maybe I'll find something when I get the tires replaced.

I hadn't considered that, but I didn't hear anything when I was rolling them across the front yard to get them into the basement for storage. Maybe I'll find something when I get the tires replaced.

I had what sounds like the exact same issue - rock warriors and a clicking noise that would go away if it went fast enough. Turned out to be a misplaced or loose wheel weight (interior sticky kind). Had tires rotated and balanced and asked all weights be swapped - noise went away. Of course that was after hours checking everything else…

Also have you tried tightening the ring bolts? They loosen over time and can ALSO make a similar noise

I had what sounds like the exact same issue - rock warriors and a clicking noise that would go away if it went fast enough. Turned out to be a misplaced or loose wheel weight (interior sticky kind). Had tires rotated and balanced and asked all weights be swapped - noise went away. Of course that was after hours checking everything else…

Also have you tried tightening the ring bolts? They loosen over time and can ALSO make a similar noise
I inspected all the weights during my search, they seem solid to me. And I removed all the rings and center caps as well at one point, and the noise was still there.

I really like the look of these wheels, but wow they sure are a nuisance.

I inspected all the weights during my search, they seem solid to me. And I removed all the rings and center caps as well at one point, and the noise was still there.

TPMS valve stem collars on tight?
A piece of plastic maybe in the wheel chipped off tpms sensor? Wouldn’t weigh enough to hear all the time. Happened on one of my swaps from a careless tech but i caught it.

Im sorry.
You sound just like me and boy do i get you. Instead though i look at rivian a bit more seriously.

I understand this doesn’t help your frustration currently but most people don’t have these problems.

I understand this doesn’t help your frustration currently but most people don’t have these problems.
Old grumpy guy here...

I hate the special splined lug nuts, they're a PITA. And my center caps look like crap now but replacements are NLA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom