Oil Dipstick is driving me nutz! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I found after I parked after 2.5 hours was able to get a reading.
I carefully removed the dipstick and there is a reading that can be seen on the dipstick.
Putting it back in resulted in a mess that is not possible to read.
so you are saying the FIRST reading you got was the good one, before you wiped off the dipstick and re-inserted it.

that makes sense.

its like the tube is too narrow or something, and the oil climbs up the tube and stays there.

so you are saying the FIRST reading you got was the good one, before you wiped off the dipstick and re-inserted it.

that makes sense.

its like the tube is too narrow or something, and the oil climbs up the tube and stays there.

Yes, first pull when engine is cold can be the best reading, sometimes I can get a second reading, but it may not. I have other cars that are like that as well. The dipstick does glide against the tube smearing the inside.

Yes, first pull when engine is cold can be the best reading, sometimes I can get a second reading, but it may not. I have other cars that are like that as well. The dipstick does glide against the tube smearing the inside.
It’s possible that your dipstick is bent/kinked or something. I can’t recall ever having any trouble with checking the oil in my 200. I reckon they are pretty inexpensive, maybe just try a new one?

I can’t recall ever having any trouble with checking the oil in my 200.

Same here, though I assume this is a skill/experience thing.

If people do decide to change the part, note that there are some important year cutoffs that change the overall length of the device, which will change the level of oil in the pan that is reported as "full."

Meaning get this part replacement right.

Edit: for others, please at least attempt to not get offended.. some of us just have more depth of experience doing this stuff on different vehicles.

Same here, though I assume this is a skill/experience thing.

If people do decide to change the part, note that there are some important year cutoffs that change the overall length of the device, which will change the level of oil in the pan that is reported as "full."

Meaning get this part replacement right.

Edit: for others, please at least attempt to not get offended.. some of us just have more depth of experience doing this stuff on different vehicles.
Absolutely! I hope the comments didn’t come off as prickly. Legitimately trying to help.

Since I also drive a ton of other junk (3 80’s and a t100 with all 300k plus on them haha)…. Here’s my routine.

Roll up to the gas station, fill up with fuel first. Pop the hood. Pull the dipstick and wipe clean.

Pull the dipstick and hold is against a gas station paper towel…. Or Kleenex if they are out of towels. Wipe clean and repeat to make sure both readings are within the low and full marks.

I’ve been doing this for about 20 years, and it’s never lead me astray. ***obviosly the fuel station should be pretty level, otherwise this doesn’t work.

The other thing that comes to mind is that maybe the AHC in your 570 is messing with ya. Perhaps there’s a procedure in the lx570 manual that involves a certain AHC setting?

Last edited:
With the caveat that if you fill to the lower areas of the "normal" range, then anytime you are idling on an incline of any sort (especially a side-to-side incline), then it will give you the low oil light because of how the oil is sitting in the pan. I have a particular place I used to park where the driver's side would sit much lower than the passenger side, and the low oil light would always come on quite predictably. Only when I made sure the oil was filled to the very top of the "normal" range did I stop getting the low oil light on those side inclines. It wasn't even that steep of a side incline, maybe 5 - 10 degrees.
the danger in that is what happened to me. Looked low, put in 3/4 of a quart. Then the next day checked the dipstick, and it was 3/4 of a quart ABOVE the max line. Having TOO MUCH oil can be a problem due to frothing

I am shooting for the middle between the two marks from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom