Dealership cant program keys due to weak door actuator??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

following r2m's procedure
I can't take credit for the procedure, it was from another post, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a another post or so for it to aid in search's when one needs it. ;)

Manually lock and unlock the sequence to program the buttons
I did that last weekend. Kind of a PITA cycling the switch with one hand and the lock with the other but doable..

To be specific you need to cycle the locks to program the remote, you can program the rf chip without the lock sequencing. To program a master key so the security system recognizes it and allows the engine to start you use a sequence of turning the ignition on and off and pressing the brake and accelerator.

Last edited:
Here is an issue I ran into last month that I thought I would share. 2003 LC had one key with no buttons when i purchased the truck. Using the post that R2M posted I determined from the security lights that the key was a Master. Cool so I ordered a key with fob cut to my VIN and decided to manually program it. I tried about 15 times to do this over 2 days in the driveway. I could never get it to work.. So I finally called a locksmith and he came by to check it out. He said that there is a limit to the number of Masters that the ecu can have in it he stated 5 those can only be cleared with a programmer. So he checked with his programmer and said it only had 3 total. He tried to program the key I bought with his programer no luck either. So at least I knew it wasn't me !!

So here was the problem... My key that was showing as a master was really a clone and while it acts as a master it will sometimes not let the ECU go into programming mode. He was able to get me two masters with programmed FOB's done for $120 which was great I thought because he spent about 4 hours in my driveway working on it. But when he was done the cloned key no longer worked and he could not get it to work again. Still opens the door manually so I have just kept it in case...

Just an FYI in case anyone else runs into this issue and you are in your truck for two hours trying to program your key with no luck!!

Great deal on getting TWO masters for AND programed for $120 clams!

Great deal on getting TWO masters for AND programed for $120 clams!

Yes I thought so as well. The guy was super helpful and quick. I will post him to the NC clubhouse for Raleigh area folks.

Manually lock and unlock the sequence to program the buttons

Can u elaborate or describe in detail by what you mean to "Manually Lock and Unlock" Please.

:pig:
:cheers:
Look by your inner door handle. Use the manual lock/unlock to perform the lock/unlock sequence.
I did this and it Worked!!! Thank you guys so Much!!!:cheers:

I have a 2000 LC with weak actuators and I was able to successfully program a new key fob just now by manually locking/unlocking the drivers door only (rather than pressing the master button that controls all the locks per the instructions).

I must have tried 30x using the power door lock/unlock sequence and was about to give up but then found this thread and tried the manual lock/unlock and it worked the first time! Now I've got a spare fully functioning key with the fob buttons. Thanks!!
This worked like a charm. Manually cycling just the driver door works perfectly.

Steps: Driver door open, unlocked. All other doors closed. Key in ignition and back out (do not turn). Manually cycle driver door lock five times. Close door. Open door. Manually cycle driver door lock five times. Key in, turn to ignition on (do not start), back out. Lock cycles, indicating programming mode. Press lock/unlock for one second. Lock for two seconds. Bingo.

Now the issue I am having:

Vehicle goes into programming mode. Press lock/unlock for one second + lock for two seconds. Locks cycle twice, suggesting the new-to-me key fob has been mated. Close driver door. Try unlocking doors from the fob. Nada. Try locking doors from fob. Nada. Exit vehicle. Try unlock, lock, and panic. Nada.

Brand new battery in an OEM key fob. Key is already cut and programmed to vehicle. Fob in a YotaMD case.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
This worked like a charm. Manually cycling just the driver door works perfectly.

Steps: Driver door open, unlocked. All other doors closed. Key in ignition and back out (do not turn). Manually cycle driver door lock five times. Close door. Open door. Manually cycle driver door lock five times. Key in, turn to ignition on (do not start), back out. Lock cycles, indicating programming mode. Press lock/unlock for one second. Lock for two seconds. Bingo.

Now the issue I am having:

Vehicle goes into programming mode. Press lock/unlock for one second + lock for two seconds. Locks cycle twice, suggesting the new-to-me key fob has been mated. Close driver door. Try unlocking doors from the fob. Nada. Try locking doors from fob. Nada. Exit vehicle. Try unlock, lock, and panic. Nada.

Brand new battery in an OEM key fob. Key is already cut and programmed to vehicle. Fob in a YotaMD case.

Ideas?

Do you have techstream to verify how many keys are programmed into your ecu?

To me it looks like you may have maxed out your keys. But that's just a guess and not from experience.

Do you have techstream to verify how many keys are programmed into your ecu?

To me it looks like you may have maxed out your keys. But that's just a guess and not from experience.
Thanks @BnvS. Does the ECU limit the number of fobs or is it the master key? I always thought the constraint was 5 masters. Was able to program the key as a master, just not the lock/unlock function.

They told me it was an ECU screw up on the 1998 only and they would replace it for free, but I have to pay the cost of labor and I also had to buy 2 new keys. That was like $600 I think. I told them that the Toyota certified mechanics should know about this, and the service writer should have a "red flag" in his system saying that they cannot re-program a 98 ECU. But, they didn't know about this before they erased it, so I eventually had to raise my voice which took 2 weeks. If they quote $47 and then leave me with a car that doesn't run, then I think its their responsibility to fix. Crazy.
Local Toyota dealer?

I can't take credit for the procedure, it was from another post, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a another post or so for it to aid in search's when one needs it. ;)
This thread was helpful to me. I just programmed two new keys today. $44 for Amazon for two blanks, $1 for Ace to cut them, instructions here. Done. Thanks to the OP and everyone that had input.

Now if I could just get the keyless entry to program…

Local Toyota dealer?
Yes, it was. They have changed employees and things have been better there since though. It was just poor communication on their part. I walked in there after 2 weeks of this nonsense, with my 1 year old daughter in a baby backpack. I stormed into the service bay yelling for the manager. Must have been hilarious to see me pissed off with a baby on my back :cool:

Yes, it was. They have changed employees and things have been better there since though. It was just poor communication on their part. I walked in there after 2 weeks of this nonsense, with my 1 year old daughter in a baby backpack. I stormed into the service bay yelling for the manager. Must have been hilarious to see me pissed off with a baby on my back :cool:
I only allow them to change my oil. I'll stop by sometime and tell you a story about their Master mechanic.

To circle back, my issue earlier was simple. I did not realize that the vehicle exits programming mode immediately if the key fob sequence is not exact. Quick simultaneous press. Then unlock. You get one shot or must restart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom