'76 Resto-mod rebuild thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to catch up a bit...
Power steering kit installed
1653901769355.png

Tub pulled and painted
1653901794879.png

1653901821046.png

1653901852764.png

Rear axe rebuilt, cleaned, painted, and upgraded for disc brakes
1653901886382.png

I replaced all my U-joints. Does the yoke orientation matter? I didn't take these apart. The yokes are not in a straight line end to end, and they are not out 90 degrees. Does it matter? They are both out the same amount.
View attachment 3021022
They need to be lined up. Probably not a bad idea to get the rear driveshaft balanced. Fj40 ujoint rarely go bad. They are very durable. Did you mock up the interior before paint? It's really tough to drill all the holes after paint and not scratch it up.

They need to be lined up. Probably not a bad idea to get the rear driveshaft balanced. Fj40 ujoint rarely go bad. They are very durable. Did you mock up the interior before paint? It's really tough to drill all the holes after paint and not scratch it up.
I got most of the interior mocked up. I might throw another coat of paint on after mating the tub to cowl/ frame

Progress! I finally got my rear brake conversion hose issue solved. I bought the JTO rear brake conversion kit, which overall, I am happy with, except for the hose they provide. I ended up getting a hose kit from BTB that did everything I was hoping for. The BTB kit has a stainless hose with a 90 fitting on one end.
1654422832426.png

1654422859702.png

I also added a couple of bulkheads and mounting points for running the lines
1654422927143.png

1654422952013.png

I have the Pertronix electronic ignition installed in my original distributer. I also purchased the Flamethrower coil. The other night I was running the motor, then it stalled. I didn't turn off the ignition and the coil got really hot (burned my finger hot). I read somewhere that the Flamethrower 2 doesn't have this issue if the ignition is left on. Does anyone know if this is the case?

We tried the better petronix #2 kit in or boat. It ran great but didn't last the season.

Get yourself some different front fenders that better resemble fj40 fenders. Those fenders throw off the whole look with the way the front edge isnt bent. Congrats on getting it on the road!
Those are temporary fenders, they are aluminum. The originals need a little love. Everything in black is borrowed form my parts rig so that I could get on the road quickly. I'll keep going with body work on the original fenders, hood, doors, top... then get it all together at some point. For now, its good enough to go down the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom