Cruiser Head (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I just installed my CruiserHead USB charger today. I can say here there is a ton of work and effort in the plug and play version. OEM plugs make it an absolute breeze to install. The hardest part for me was just trying to get my finger back in the dash far enough to reach and manipulate my long cocooned OEM wiring to actually get at the plugs. The OEM plugs are such a nice touch. Really brings this USB charger to a new level of factory. Then the dimming backlighting capability takes that even further. Seems to me to be what Toyota would have done with this had USB been a thing 30+ years ago. The construction to me is top notch and the piece fits perfectly in my CruiserHead bezel. My original USB setup I made from an OEM switch blank and Toyota mini van USB charger would always pull out of the bezel hole when I would unplug the USB cable. I had to put some electrical tape around it to keep it snug in the bezel. Now that this new one is seated correctly, it stays put when unplugging a USB cable. Rock solid.

Just cannot say enough good things about the stuff CruiserHead is producing. @ChaserFJ60's attention to detail and determination to get things just right really comes out in the products he produces. I know there are a ton of great vendors on Mud that all work super hard to create and source hard to find things for us to keep these old relics running. @ChaserFJ60 is certainly among the best. Thanks for this and keep up the great work. Exciting stuff and can't wait to see what else you dream up here.

Some quick and dirty glamour shots of the USB charger installed:

67807162007__70987BFE-35B3-44F4-8DC0-06608FA32BEC.jpg
67807163252__26236DB0-ACD0-428A-8E6A-594A1EF0EB13.jpg
67812443501__FE7AEEB6-E0A7-4E43-A999-560E2B922F18.jpg
IMG_7328.jpg

Not sure if you can see or tell in my above photos, but this piece actually has a lamp socket for the backlight (blue and black wires). You can pull it out to replace the bulbs. I think @ChaserFJ60 has both LED and incandescent options available for this. Mine is the OEM green incandescent version. This alone required a ton of work I would guess to make happen. I'll try and get a shot of the backlight to add here. Again, so cool.

Edit: Added backlight photo:

IMG_7337.jpg

Last edited:
One last thing on the USB charger I noticed and thought was cool. So with the dash bezel and the USB charger together, when the charger is inserted in the bezel, the angle of the ports is more directly horizontal. As you can see in the photos, there is a significant curve right in the face of the bezel right where the hole is where I have the USB charger mounted. You would think (at least I would) that this could lead to the USB port openings sort of being angled slightly downward with the curve of the bezel. But on mine the port openings seem exactly flat and horizontal rather than angled thus making for easier targeting of the USB ports while bouncing around in your 30+yo truck. The face of the USB charger is more flat instead of curved to meet the contours of the bezel right there. I am sure this is by design but I thought it was a nice touch. Also I should point out that the wire leads on my version seemed long enough for me to have put my charger in any open slot along the bezel while still allowing me to reach the harness for the cigarette lighter. Meaning this could go in any hole in the bezel you wanted it to. The cigarette harness is mostly center of the bezel and mine reached from the far outer side of the bezel to there with some to spare. @Gretsch out!!

So some FJ60 center consoles have these coin slots? I have two OEM FJ60 center consoles and neither of them have the coin slots... Can anyone confirm if they're the same as FJ62 switches?

There was mention of putting a logo on the FJ62 USB switch but im not sure if it would look right... Its going to be just like a standard blank in the FJ62 Dash with all the same features as the FJ60's.

Currently test fitting and working out bugs from the FJ62 variant.
FJ62USBRender1.png

There was mention of putting a logo on the FJ62 USB switch but im not sure if it would look right... Its going to be just like a standard blank in the FJ62 Dash with all the same features as the FJ60's.

Currently test fitting and working out bugs from the FJ62 variant.
View attachment 3047431

Make it happen CruiserHead.com !

another Excellent concept visionary idea :cool:

details ?

my suggestion would be ?

a similar trim line bevel to your FJ60 USB you have
already cemented as your brand , not as pronounced though ......

follow my
previous post of all MY rocker switch variations from the FJ62 AMBER GLOBE plat form i use , a simple yet BLISS and BLING easedbull nose with

a beading detail would all flare and cement this as another Cruiserhead.com Exclusive :)

my 2 cents .........

Last edited:

Doing a sale for the 4th of July now!

15% off all Cruiser Head full priced items!

Now until midnight July 4th.

I haven't actually pulled my bezel off or been behind my dash yet so maybe this is not possible. But have you considered incorporating a section of ram track somewhere?

I guess either. I have a 60. I could see switches in the ash tray and a USB next to it, then track in the cubby. But maybe it could be another option for either of your panels in lieu of more switches. Not sure if there is enough structure there for a phone or small tablet on a ram arm offroad though.

Wow these USB chargers are popular! I'm working on the next batch now, already sent a few out. Ive been quickly optimizing my assembly methods and started making jigs to reduce build time. Its easier to assemble them in bulk as it reduces my chances of error. I test each unit 3 times before they get shipped so that adds to the build time. So far these USB boards are pretty consistent in quality with no non working units! Im starting to phase in GXL wire for that little bit extra quality!

Ive been synchronously developing the FJ62 USB insert and should have a plug and play unit available hopefully next week.

Available for purchase here​

Setup.jpg

FinalUSBChargerPictureLogo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom