SAS SAS #6 Official Thread Aug 1 - 5 2022 (4 Viewers)

SAS #6 Colors for Shirts and Trail Flags

• • Capri Blue

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • • Freeborn Red

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone going North through SLC on the way home that could deliver something for me? Would be in North Ogden, about 2 miles off of I15. It's a transmission - but not a big one! PM me if we can work something out!

Was gonna rebuild it for a family member but just haven't had the time so he's gonna do it locally. It's a column shift 3 speed + "automatic" OD for a 56 Chevy that I found locally for him.
Resized_20210628_184724.jpeg

34 days (+/- travel days). How are them projects coming along? I will be spending my 4th of July weekend pulling and replacing my engine. Also got to repair a transmission for a customer who is coming to SAS. Going to be all work till it is time to leave.

Last edited:
34 days (+/- travel days). How are them projects coming along? I will be spending my 4th of July weekend pulling and replacing my engine. Also got to repair a transmission for a customer who is coming to SAS. Going to be all work till it is time to leave.
Too much too do and not enough time on both of my 60s. Still not sure which to take ... What do you think @Manitou Decline?

1. the one that's falling apart around me, but I daily drive it so I know the issues and turst it more.. Badly leaking tire (all the tires are in garbage condition), "snap" noise from the front left when going slow around corners, no power steering in over a year, bleeding t-case rear output seal (and leaks from about 8 other places too), pinhole radiator leak, mysterious disappearance of coolant more than what a pinhole leak would cause. Oh yeah, and the frame rot. This truck has the roof rack, front winch bumper, and rear swing arm bumper.

2. the one in nicer shape with 120k miles that I haven't gotten driving yet, and don't know what issues will pop up when I get there. I have a lot of parts for this truck so there's that. Manifolds will be redone, carb rebuilt, all new vac lines, brake work (new brake hoses, calipers, front pads, and fluid flush), new fluids for everything. 33s and front shackle reversal done ages ago. Status of diffs, transmission, transfer case unknown, though knuckles look pretty decent, not a lot of leakage or nastiness. It sat from 2018 until now and compression doesn't seem great, maybe because I need to run it and loosen things up. If I have enough time I can swap the swing arm rear bumper and roof rack over and ***n send it. KO2s were purchased by PO a week before he garaged this thing so they're very mint with no cracking.

Too much too do and not enough time on both of my 60s. Still not sure which to take ... What do you think @Manitou Decline?

1. the one that's falling apart around me, but I daily drive it so I know the issues and turst it more.. Badly leaking tire (all the tires are in garbage condition), "snap" noise from the front left when going slow around corners, no power steering in over a year, bleeding t-case rear output seal (and leaks from about 8 other places too), pinhole radiator leak, mysterious disappearance of coolant more than what a pinhole leak would cause. Oh yeah, and the frame rot. This truck has the roof rack, front winch bumper, and rear swing arm bumper.

2. the one in nicer shape with 120k miles that I haven't gotten driving yet, and don't know what issues will pop up when I get there. I have a lot of parts for this truck so there's that. Manifolds will be redone, carb rebuilt, all new vac lines, brake work (new brake hoses, calipers, front pads, and fluid flush), new fluids for everything. 33s and front shackle reversal done ages ago. Status of diffs, transmission, transfer case unknown, though knuckles look pretty decent, not a lot of leakage or nastiness. It sat from 2018 until now and compression doesn't seem great, maybe because I need to run it and loosen things up. If I have enough time I can swap the swing arm rear bumper and roof rack over and f***n send it. KO2s were purchased by PO a week before he garaged this thing so they're very mint with no cracking.
Sounds like Option 2 is the choice and where to put the focus. Take it out to Slaughter House and see how it does. You know what the expect on this trip, so put it through a good test. The reverse shackles will make a much better ride off road.

Option 1 has been tested and works but that coolant issue is a big concern. Don't want to heading up Corkscrew and have the engine overheat (a lesson I learned). Spend a day and try to figure out where the coolant is going. If you can't figure it out, Option 2 for sure.

Sounds like Option 2 is the choice and where to put the focus. Take it out to Slaughter House and see how it does. You know what the expect on this trip, so put it through a good test. The reverse shackles will make a much better ride off road.

Option 1 has been tested and works but that coolant issue is a big concern. Don't want to heading up Corkscrew and have the engine overheat (a lesson I learned). Spend a day and try to figure out where the coolant is going. If you can't figure it out, Option 2 for sure.
Coolant has been disappearing for a while in the daily driver - 4-5 months. No milkshake in the oil, no floaty oil sheen under the radiator cap, no visible leaks (at least not coolant anyway, we won't talk about the rear main or oil pan or t-case). I'm wondering if it was the pinhole all along and I just didn't see it until yesterday. But still, that's my BIGGEST concern with that truck. That's the truck I took last year.

Truck 2 I've never driven because it hasn't been running yet ... well, I got it going in the garage with some help, but not enough to drive it. Idle was hunting like crazy and the manifold had massive intake and exhaust leaks.

#2 is the eventual (soon hopefully) daily driver, so all of my focus has been going there. With two kids and two jobs finding time has been tough - and even then I'm pretty slow because I'm only a YouTube- and Mud-certified mechanic, I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

@Manitou Decline Don't get me wrong though, we'll be there in one of the trucks! We have a big trip planned doing Rimrocker then out to paddle the Green River, then into Ouray Wednesday for SAS. I'm not NOT going to go.

#2 is the eventual (soon hopefully) daily driver, so all of my focus has been going there. With two kids and two jobs finding time has been tough - and even then I'm pretty slow because I'm only a YouTube- and Mud-certified mechanic, I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

Two little kids and one job here and understand how hard this is. Mud and @HemiAlex have been instrumental in getting my truck sorted over the past 6 months.

Coolant has been disappearing for a while in the daily driver - 4-5 months. No milkshake in the oil, no floaty oil sheen under the radiator cap, no visible leaks (at least not coolant anyway, we won't talk about the rear main or oil pan or t-case). I'm wondering if it was the pinhole all along and I just didn't see it until yesterday. But still, that's my BIGGEST concern with that truck. That's the truck I took last year.

Truck 2 I've never driven because it hasn't been running yet ... well, I got it going in the garage with some help, but not enough to drive it. Idle was hunting like crazy and the manifold had massive intake and exhaust leaks.

Yeah those pin holes will push out some coolant pretty quick with 12 psi pushing it. If it is in the seam and not the fins, you can pull the rad and try soldering it. Hell I might even have one laying around the shop.

IT's right on top, not on a seem. There's a very small dent there (probably my fault). I epoxied it for now and it's held all day. I'm betting I could solder it up myself with a torch.

IMG-1870.jpg

Out of respect for the neighbors, don't go full plumper and hang crack. Do go half plumper and solder it up like copper piping.

@Manitou Decline the neighbors see enough of my crack - and me covered in grease and oil - on a regular basis anyway, it aint a big deal. And I do mean from working on the truck out front. I'm not running around mooning the neighborhood intentionally.

Yeah I saw on FB where you picked it up. How's the 2uz install coming? You bringing this 62 or are you going to finish the 60 2uz project?
I'll be bringing the 62. The uz60 had a major setback with the fule tank so I'm working on other parts such as fan shroud and ac and power steering

IT's right on top, not on a seem. There's a very small dent there (probably my fault). I epoxied it for now and it's held all day. I'm betting I could solder it up myself with a torch.

View attachment 3044416
**Edit**. Nevermind, I see it will NOT fit.

Not sure if a 40 rad will fit your 62, but I have a decent used one I can donate to your cause if you pay the shipping (live in central KS).... I’m not sure if it’s a 3 or 4 row.

Last edited:
**Edit**. Nevermind, I see it will NOT fit.

Not sure if a 40 rad will fit your 62, but I have a decent used one I can donate to your cause if you pay the shipping (live in central KS).... I’m not sure if it’s a 3 or 4 row.
So far so good on the pinhole - epoxy has held dry all day. I appreciate it though. In the meantime…. Manifolds are on truck #2:

19F101ED-3723-42FA-8030-039CC573C414.jpeg

Truck is humming along. Radio works. AC is kickin'. Punch list is whittling away. Getting excited. Looking fwd to catching up with the SAS fam.

Status?
  • Finish fan shroud
  • Pull fuel module and braze on push on fittings
  • Finish exhaust
  • Run new fuel line
  • Run heater hoses
  • Run rad hoses
  • Finish intake
  • Reinstall/reassemble front end
  • Wire up batteries/winch
  • Finish trans cover, reinstall carpet
  • Rebuild rear brakes (stuck cylinder on one side)
  • Run new rear brake line (nicked it getting old crossmember mounts out)
  • Plumb PS lines
  • Run AC lines, evacuate and charge system
  • Wiring - presently have an entire GM harness inclusing fuse block just kinda hangin out in there - We might be rolling out with what I'll call "version 1" of the wire harness 😄
  • Build a new 6 lug trailer type axle to replace the leaky 5 lug truck axle under my trailer
  • Wire in a trailer plug
  • Continue fiddling with tune to make it run more better (can do this on the road too)
  • Hope the rednecks that retubed my rear driveshaft actually balanced it (no weights on it..)
  • Remember the 10 things I forgot to do and work on them in camp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom