JULY 22- 24 Hurricane Creek/Weaver's Bend Planning Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We will be meeting at the Sierra Nevada Brewery (100 Sierra Nevada Way, Fletcher, NC) at Noon on July 22nd, and departing at 3pm for the trails.
During that time, trail leads will discuss the best route for the trip.

(Copied from Ceby's thread in UC)
This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meal on Saturday night.

We are limiting this trip to around 10 rigs:

Going:
1. @GregFrench (1)
2. @mindEASE (2)
3. @Roxx (3)
4. @SFROMAN
5. @amay3
6. @Ncrunner4x4 (1)
7. @lowtops (3)
8. @thecapedcapper (1)
9. @blumtn (1)

Maybe:
1. @forrest5000
3. @S.CarolinaFZJ80
4. @mindEASE

Last edited:
details?

I am in

All,

August's event is in the Hurricane Creek area, and I say that because now that Hurricane Creek is on Facebook, everybody and their uncle is making trips to it. So, we'll be in the general area, not necessarily making it THE spot. I've also heard that Max Patch is being limited on the number of people allowed to hike it, so we'll make some changes to the routine.

Typically this has been the event where we limit the number of people (due to both ease of moving around on HC and campsite accommodations). Anything more than 7-8 trucks would make things hard to stay mobile and flexible.

“This was last year”

I’m a maybe

To me the best way to do it is to come out at hurricane.

If you camp at weavers bend Friday night their is a better chance of getting the good camp Site.
Saturday you can camp down by the waterfall near max patch or at the campsite on top of the mountain.

Just a suggestion though.

This trip is going to be light.

Edit your original post.
Make a list of folks that have committed and there is your list.

I recommend no more than 10 vehicles but the thats completely up to you.
Put me down as a maybe.

Edit your original post.
Make a list of folks that have committed and there is your list.

I recommend no more than 10 vehicles but the thats completely up to you.
Put me down as a maybe.
I have no problem doing that but I want to make sure that there is a trip leader/organizer and meeting place and all of that. I'm a flatlander from the Lowcountry and don't know the area at all! I just saw the event posted on your calendar and wanted to tag along. LOL

Is there someone more qualified who wants to jump up and take over?

I haven't been to hurricane creek before but am interested in checking it out so here's another "if someone else organizes it I might go"

Go ahead and organize it. Dave, eric and i have been and know where to go.

Go ahead and organize it. Dave, eric and i have been and know where to go.
Ok. Should I just copy and edit the planning post from May? Meeting at the same location and all of that?
Also- is there a cost/meals/anything like that planned or are we all on our own and we bring whatever we will need?

Last edited:
We normally do a independent meal on friday, breakfast always end up being everyone contributes and cook together and Saturday is one dinner for everyone. As far as where we meet the first day we can do the brewery. We can eat there and take highway 40 from there very quick. Fire wood, utensils, plates, stoves, extra gas is someone need it. We can fine tune the details from the of what we want to do and what the trip will be.

Some suggestions From past trips I have been on.

About 10 vehicles max
Food - Saturday dinner is a combined meal all other meals your pretty much on your own.
Fuel- my and another 80 series have needed to use my extra fuel cans in the past. So I would gas up strategically and or bring an extra 5 gallon tank

Friday link up 12:00 to 3:00
Sierra Nevada brewery

Route options:

Option 1
Enter hurricane creek off of I40 after link up on Friday drive to camp
Friday night camp options
The designated camp ground or down by the falls.

Saturday - can head towards weaver bend. On way hit up some water falls.

Saturday camp options
Camp site on the French broad somewhere near weaver bend.

Route option 2
Reverse route as mentioned above.

I prefer option 2 as I mentioned before because it gets you a better chance at staying at weaver bend ( if you arrive early enough) also I hate entering HC off of I40.

Again, just some planning considerations but as Rafael mentioned. There are at least 3 folks going that have done this trip before so it is just a matter of figuring out who is all in and deciding on what time is the meet up and where.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom