2UZ FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I cut out the stock transfer case shifter area and moved it back about 6”. I need to plug the old transmission shifter hole and finish grinding down the welds.
C6892826-1354-490D-B0AA-9CE8683E1C92.jpeg

Some good progress on trying to make the stock 100 center console cover work. I’ll bondo and sand the joint to blend it before paint.

Also, I bought a new gas tank in preparation for installing the 100 series in tank fuel pump.
B9CA0452-5A25-4453-90A4-12D7C82F70BA.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m pretty excited about this! There’s plenty more to do like creating a transition piece between the console and the dash, but overall I’m pleased with how it’s coming together.

Just ignore the mess around the rest of my 40…
DEF1C6E2-D12D-4408-B550-2C7321F7E7A1.jpeg

Last edited:
@Zjohnsonua recommended that I use an in tank fuel pump so I started that process today. The only downside I have right now is the main beam for my rear tub (not stock) aligns with the fuel pump outlet. Not sure how I’ll tackle that one yet.
23B1959B-3AD2-460F-A63C-049C9937425B.jpeg

Looking good! I may need to pick your brain a bit down the road some, Im heading down the 1uz, 5 speed manual FJ45 route

Looking good! I traded some labor with a friend to make me an aluminum fuel tank and fit the original fuel pump. I think it will hold about 25 + gallons.

View attachment 2846393

View attachment 2846394

Can you let me know what fuel line fittings you used to attach from the hard lines to the AN fittings as well as size? I believe it's 5/16" but I haven't confirmed that anywhere yet. Thank you!

Can you let me know what fuel line fittings you used to attach from the hard lines to the AN fittings as well as size? I believe it's 5/16" but I haven't confirmed that anywhere yet. Thank you!
I did that a couple years ago so I do not remember exactly but believe you correct with 5/16. I think I may have used 2 different size plumbing fittings from the hardware store , one for inside the black plastic line and the other on the outside, then the AN nut over it all. I remember it being very very tight to get together.

Also, I used braided stainless lines with AN fittings instead of the factory tubing.

I would love to see more of your build!
It runs but I haven't installed driveline's yet. Also have a lot of electrical to hook up. The original harness was trash so I used the one from the donor Sequoia. It took about 24 hours to strip out unneeded stuff like body computer...Installed the Sequoia rear disc brakes. Made it spring over with FJ62 rear springs...and lots of other little items..
IMG_20210604_182140339_HDR.jpg

20200412_100846.jpg

20190713_173751.jpg

20200719_165407.jpg

It runs but I haven't installed driveline's yet. Also have a lot of electrical to hook up. The original harness was trash so I used the one from the donor Sequoia. It took about 24 hours to strip out unneeded stuff like body computer...Installed the Sequoia rear disc brakes. Made it spring over with FJ62 rear springs...and lots of other little items..View attachment 2852425

View attachment 2852418

View attachment 2852419

View attachment 2852420
Your 40 looks great! How soon will you be able to drive it? I’m hoping for January/February for mine.

Restarting this thread...I’m at another crossroad:

A) Install a Holley Sniper 2300 system. Nothing wrong with my carb setup just want something easier to start on cold days. Cost me roughly $1,100 less the remainder of the 100 series I’m parting out below.
Downsides: None?

B) Install a complete engine, transmission and transfer case from a 100 series. I have a complete donor truck. Cost maybe $1,000 less whatever I sell the remainder of the 100 series for and the drivetrain from my 40.
Downsides: length of time to complete.

Neither addition/change is necessary and the 2uz is an itch I’ve wanted to scratch for a long time. I could very easily switch to a GM V8 much easier but we’re Toyota people so why deviate.

Any suggestions for or against the options above?

View attachment 2164759
I just read through some of my old posts. This one in particular makes me laugh:

“B) Install a complete engine, transmission and transfer case from a 100 series. I have a complete donor truck. Cost maybe $1,000 less whatever I sell the remainder of the 100 series for and the drivetrain from my 40.
Downsides: length of time to complete.”

Even with a couple of donor 100 series to rob parts from I’m WELL past $1,000 estimate of mine!

Your 40 looks great! How soon will you be able to drive it? I’m hoping for January/February for mine.
I only work on my 40 on open weekends, so it takes a back seat during hunting season, holidays ect...

1. complete the spring over, weld on perches
2. install track bar
3. purchase and install steering linkage
4. make new axle brake lines
5. fab radiator shroud
6. have driveline mods completed
7. electrical...all switches, all interior and exterior lighting
8. complete the roof and rain gutter restore.
9. reassemble doors, windows with new weather strips
10. nut-N-bolt it, test drive, and find the bugs...

So a few more months

Wow, is it as easy to wrench inside there as it looks?

Wow, is it as easy to wrench inside there as it looks?
SOOOO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES! Had to hinge the bib and radiator to install the serpentine belt...

Running and driving now! Needs an alignment but man it’s fun to drive…little scary too! Also, having OBDII is awesome compared to trying to properly tune the previous 2F.

54075101-9745-4AF4-94DD-D7180CE92D12.png

EF603F9A-2F59-4BB4-BF40-B92AD4CD369B.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom