2UZ FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, so the 42s were mostly a joke. I bought them because they were cheap and came with a set of 4runner wheels and tires that I may use as my road tires.

I think my next adjustment to the 40 will be FJ60 springs UNDER the front suspension. They have a mild lift and I'm thinking with the extended shackles it may net me a 1" lower front end compared to where it sits today. My overall goal is a more streetable 40 that can still enjoy the trails.

I also sold an 80 that I was failing to finish reviving. Feels nice to have one less project

D308F7DF-B78C-4400-AF51-6C97CD4757C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Started working on my tire carrier. I’ve had all of the parts for at least 6 years…
I drilled a 1.5” hole through both ends of the tube steel and welded the solid spindle on both ends. Took about an hour to get to this point tonight.

3C70B339-E7C9-4599-B3AC-314F229D5E74.jpeg

While waiting for some parts for the rear bumper I started on a small repair. When I installed the 3/16” quarters they didn’t match the exact radius of the original quarters so I had an awkward lip in the back. I cut it out and I’m tapering the difference. It’s not a restoration and only you guys would notice haha

572F38AD-65A8-4CA8-9191-5CBBC5E7D94D.jpeg

Man, I feel like I’m a pretty patient person until it comes time for body/paint work. While the kids napped I finished the rework of that awkward lip on the quarter panels. I took a few screenshots of an old photo to show what it used to look like.

Original “lip”
05FADA29-4373-4D90-B278-4A897F54939E.jpeg

Reworked and somewhat blended. I’ll eventually repaint the rear of the truck with the correct blue, but for now, this blue paint from Lowe’s is a close enough match

DA56B7A9-462C-4F3D-AD28-F97653B19228.jpeg

Nice work! I'm a firm believer in function over form, and that's not bad in form either! Driving your rig is way more important than looking at your rig :)

Took the kids to cars and coffee. There were a couple other 40 series there and a good amount of people interested in the 2uz swap. Met a kid doing a 1uz swap into a T100. Kids had a good time too

IMG_6147.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6141.jpeg

In other cruiser related things, I started the transition back to SUA. I really only go on one or two off road trips a year so it makes sense to lower it some and go back to a 33” tire. I’m trying out fj60 springs on the front end and fj60 steering arms. I’ll need to move the fixed end of the shackle mount forward 3” if I want to keep the 60 springs up front. If I do that, I’ll also redrill the springs and move the axle back at least 2”

IMG_6191.jpeg

I’m heading back toward a more stock appearance. I’ll refine a few things from the 2uz swap this year. I purchased a @lcwizard tire carrier a few weeks ago and installed some 33s with fj cruiser steelies.

IMG_1862.jpeg

Regarding your front shackles, the small pin should be positioned closest to the axle and at the top. You have the pin closer to the bottom. From another vendor possibly but here is their instructions. The link will open a .PDF file.

Regarding your front shackles, the small pin should be positioned closest to the axle and at the top. You have the pin closer to the bottom. From another vendor possibly but here is their instructions. The link will open a .PDF file.
Yep, except I have a Saginaw steering conversion and I cannot run them that way. So I swapped sides to still use them rather than returning them.

I test fit both ways when I was installing mine. There was almost no droop with the pin closest to the frame. I swapped mine the same as the pic. Seems like the shackle should still prevent inversion (at least on my setup). If it doesn’t I can flip it back but for now I will take the increased suspension travel.

Yep, except I have a Saginaw steering conversion and I cannot run them that way. So I swapped sides to still use them rather than returning them.

Here is a shot of mine installed and suspension loaded, where are you seeing interference issues with yours?

DSC00316[1].JPG

Here is a shot of mine installed and suspension loaded, where are you seeing interference issues with yours?

View attachment 3557307
I mounted my Saginaw at a different angle than yours.

@AndersonDin installed a part time kit in the 100 series transfer case this past week. Now I can run the front drive shaft on the highway without it spinning.

Today was a good car day. 70 degrees, cars and coffee, and the international auto show. This Vanderhall Brawley GTS was sweet. 400hp with an electric motor at each wheel.

Also, installed a bumperette on the driver side. I think I want to find a way to mount another on the passenger side and just work around the @lcwizard 4Plus tire carrier

IMG_3332.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

IMG_3318.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg

So what springs are on it now F/R? Regular 2.5” lift 40 springs up front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom