2UZ FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I decided to drive the 100 for a while to check the drivetrain components before removing for install in the 40 I’ve found the following:

Cons:
-Passenger side exhaust manifold
-brake booster still not fully functional(unrelated to future 40 install)
-stock power steering pump is lacking compared to my Saginaw
-ih8rust!!

Pros:
-fuel injection and seat heaters are awesome!
-driving the 40 to work this week has been a trip. Starts right up and is wonderfully predictable to drive

I’m thinking I may link the rear suspension on my 40 in the near future.

Bumping my build thread back up. I sold the 100 series I bought last year which squashed the 2uz idea for awhile. Until today...just picked up a 2000 with unknown starting issue for super cheap.

8923A21E-8FAE-43FA-8B60-B3D65464B4C3.jpeg

Bumping my build thread back up. I sold the 100 series I bought last year which squashed the 2uz idea for awhile. Until today...just picked up a 2000 with unknown starting issue for super cheap.

View attachment 1864581
starting the swap? Or going to drive the new one for a while?

Going to reorganize my garage to make space for parting this one out and then once the part out is complete I’ll start the swap.

Going to reorganize my garage to make space for parting this one out and then once the part out is complete I’ll start the swap.
The dreaded garage reorganization. I seem to start one of those instead of some other project I should be starting...

Look forward to see how the swap goes.

Start it and drive, too good looking for parting out. :cry:

100 series is in my garage now. Starting the part out process. Unfortunately the engine is running very rough if it starts at all so I’ll need to source a new engine when it comes time to swap it into my 40. I’ll use everything from the 100 series to make the swap so I should only be out the cost of the engine mounts, driveshafts, exhaust, and new engine.

Restarting this thread...I’m at another crossroad:

A) Install a Holley Sniper 2300 system. Nothing wrong with my carb setup just want something easier to start on cold days. Cost me roughly $1,100 less the remainder of the 100 series I’m parting out below.
Downsides: None?

B) Install a complete engine, transmission and transfer case from a 100 series. I have a complete donor truck. Cost maybe $1,000 less whatever I sell the remainder of the 100 series for and the drivetrain from my 40.
Downsides: length of time to complete.

Neither addition/change is necessary and the 2uz is an itch I’ve wanted to scratch for a long time. I could very easily switch to a GM V8 much easier but we’re Toyota people so why deviate.

Any suggestions for or against the options above?

8D5A95CB-5BFA-4BDE-8278-3A3FFDD73F75.jpeg

I'm in the process of a 2UZ-FE swap. I was initially gonna do a 2F-E, but the siren song of the V8 was too much to resist. I'm running an H42L (I chose the L since the future plan is an H55 so it would be a straight swap) and a split case. I'm doing a complete restomod and have other projects so it will be a while before it is on the road. If you go the 2UZ road, I highly suggest you speak with Don @ Northwest Toys. He offers swap goodies that will streamline the process.

Have you considered a supercharged 5vzfe by chance? Then you would have all the mini truck tcase options.

That would be another sweet direction to go and I’ve always liked how the manuals in those shift. At this point, that’s a different can of worms that I’m not wanting to open. I would want to find a full donor truck for any engine swap which is why the 100 series swap is within reach now.

I'm in the process of a 2UZ-FE swap. I was initially gonna do a 2F-E, but the siren song of the V8 was too much to resist. I'm running an H42L (I chose the L since the future plan is an H55 so it would be a straight swap) and a split case. I'm doing a complete restomod and have other projects so it will be a while before it is on the road. If you go the 2UZ road, I highly suggest you speak with Don @ Northwest Toys. He offers swap goodies that will streamline the process.

I have checked out Northwest Toys site before. I have a local fab guy who can assist with putting a different transmission behind the 2uz if desired. I’m torn between keeping a manual for pure enjoyment and switching to an auto. I get to take this on maybe one weekend off road trip a year so this has morphed into more of a Friday/Saturday drive vehicle.

I guess my concern with the 2uz swap would be rear driveshaft length and soa travel. With the 5vz you could move the motor forward a lot and still have a pretty decent rear drive shaft. Has anyone ever done a soa 2uz swap?

That brings up a good question. I’ve seen one on a SOA but I couldn’t find the picture. The only thing I could find is a picture from @UZJ40 showing the driveshaft length. Had to dig a bit to find this picture.

It looks pretty short. My rear axle is at least 2” further back than his though.

C060271D-8F58-4024-849C-7B930FF090AE.jpeg

That brings up a good question. I’ve seen one on a SOA but I couldn’t find the picture. The only thing I could find is a picture from @UZJ40 showing the driveshaft length. Had to dig a bit to find this picture.

It looks pretty short. My rear axle is at least 2” further back than his though.

View attachment 2165092

If I remember correctly that rear driveshaft is about 19.5".

Care to weigh in on the option to install a 2uz vs. a Holley Sniper EFI in a 40?
Someone just posted a writeup here on mud about the Sniper EFI. Seems that it worked out really well. Certainly much easier than a 2UZ.

Someone just posted a writeup here on mud about the Sniper EFI. Seems that it worked out really well. Certainly much easier than a 2UZ.

Logically the Sniper EFI makes the most sense. Less downtime and cheaper. Would I regret not going to a V8 is the only question? Unfortunately, there isn’t a 2uz swapped 40 nearby or one with a Sniper to test drive.

If a toyota v8 is what you want , that is what I would tell you to work torward. If you would be settling for the sniper set up, my guess is that you will always want the toyota V8.

I had a 383 in my 45 and would have preffered a 2uz. Since I had the 383 installed already I installed an expensive fuel injection setup because it was easiest and I thought I would be happy with it. After I did that I still wanted the 2uz. I have since pulled that engine and sold it to pursue the 2uz set up I wanted. Ultimately I waisted time and money settling when I installed The FI on the 383 when I could have put that torward the 2uz.

If the 2uz is your dream, do it.

If a toyota v8 is what you want , that is what I would tell you to work torward. If you would be settling for the sniper set up, my guess is that you will always want the toyota V8.

I had a 383 in my 45 and would have preffered a 2uz. Since I had the 383 installed already I installed an expensive fuel injection setup because it was easiest and I thought I would be happy with it. After I did that I still wanted the 2uz. I have since pulled that engine and sold it to pursue the 2uz set up I wanted. Ultimately I waisted time and money settling when I installed The FI on the 383 when I could have put that torward the 2uz.

If the 2uz is your dream, do it.

Now that settles it! I’m going 2uz swap and I’ll document it here. I needed that kind of logic!

One thing I might do leading up to the swap is whittle down the wiring in the donor truck so it’ll run on a stripped down harness. Should make testing easier and then I can use the 40 all the way up to when I pull the engine.

Now that settles it! I’m going 2uz swap and I’ll document it here. I needed that kind of logic!

One thing I might do leading up to the swap is whittle down the wiring in the donor truck so it’ll run on a stripped down harness. Should make testing easier and then I can use the 40 all the way up to when I pull the engine.

That sounds like a good idea, eliminating pieces of the harnes while it is still in the donor vehicle. I will be following along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom