Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool! What diesel do you have in mind? Is it currently the I5 or VR6? My brother picked up a poptop Weekender last fall and I instantly fell in love with it. The family car when we were kids was a 1970 Bus, so it is kind of a natural progression.

Currently is a VR6, 1999. The good thing is that I believe it's the last year for a "plug & play" TDI swap. Looking for a B4 Passat for all the swap parts. Probably a 1Z/AHU for simplicity.

Yeah, my wife has always kind of wanted one, especially after we drove my friends 1995 Euro that he TDI/manual swapped. What a blast in California hanging at the beach with that thing. It's not perfect by any means, but we got a pretty amazing deal on it. Right place, right time.

It was a weekend....

Started Friday night with my daughter giving me a call when she got to work. That usually means I need money, can you call me out of school or something is making a weird noise on a vehicle. Well, it was a noise...Dad, the tundra (2006) is making a grinding/screeching noise up front. Brakes? ball joint? CV?

I get there and.

tempImagecDY411.png

Well thats not good.

tempImagescYe1a.png

I asked did it make a pop or something. Yes, right when she turned into work.
She's a good kid.

In my youth, I know exactly how I would have gotten to this same outcome...

giphy.gif

And we would be rigging the hell out of it to fix it before bringing it home :rofl:

Now starts ANOTHER project...

Oh, my daughter got a vehicle this weekend as well. She hasn't had one (hence driving my tundra) for a few months.

1999. It was cheap as well, actually from the same guy we got the Euro from. brand new tires, tranny, timing belt and steering rack. Suspension a little soft so I'm going to fix that, and the main reason it needs a panhard lift. Solid truck, needs cleaned really good and panhard fixed and should serve well for a few years

tempImageE20OYP.png

It was a weekend....

Started Friday night with my daughter giving me a call when she got to work. That usually means I need money, can you call me out of school or something is making a weird noise on a vehicle. Well, it was a noise...Dad, the tundra (2006) is making a grinding/screeching noise up front. Brakes? ball joint? CV?

I get there and.

View attachment 3010054

Well thats not good.

View attachment 3010055

I asked did it make a pop or something. Yes, right when she turned into work.
She's a good kid.

In my youth, I know exactly how I would have gotten to this same outcome...

View attachment 3010092

And we would be rigging the hell out of it to fix it before bringing it home :rofl:

Now starts ANOTHER project...

Oh, my daughter got a vehicle this weekend as well. She hasn't had one (hence driving my tundra) for a few months.

1999. It was cheap as well, actually from the same guy we got the Euro from. brand new tires, tranny, timing belt and steering rack. Suspension a little soft so I'm going to fix that, and the main reason it needs a panhard lift. Solid truck, needs cleaned really good and panhard fixed and should serve well for a few years

View attachment 3010100
that's cool! What's the interior like?

🙄
Just so you are aware, Ben. It happens all the time up here in Canada too. I had a friend drop off an open trailer for me to borrow and he asked me where my Jeep was. I am done correcting people because they either GET IT or they DON'T. So I just replied with a little bit of emphasis on the actual vehicle make and model being in the garage.

I also get people referring to it as a land rover... this is probably the most often. Surprisingly I have not had any mail delivery comments. But then, mine is not WHITE.

Also surprising is how much this tends to get under the skin... I mean for DAYS later I am still remembering with annoyance someone calling the LC a rover or a jeep. Grrrr.... LOL 🤷‍♂️
People always call my kzj78 a jeep too. or "where is that jeep thing you drive?" people always get really confused to what it is. I have even gotten "is that a trooper with Toyota badges?" This one was insulting to me a little even though I kinda like the Isuzu troopers. they are no land cruisers though.

People always call my kzj78 a jeep too. or "where is that jeep thing you drive?" people always get really confused to what it is. I have even gotten "is that a trooper with Toyota badges?" This one was insulting to me a little even though I kinda like the Isuzu troopers. they are no land cruisers though.
I've never gotten a Jeep comment, but the Isuzu Trooper thing is pretty common. I've also had mine called a Land Rover several times.

I've never gotten a Jeep comment, but the Isuzu Trooper thing is pretty common. I've also had mine called a Land Rover several times.
I have not had Land Rover yet but I am sure I will soon. tourist season is beginning here on the outer banks. I saw a guy last week open my doors when he was looking at it... it was parked in my driveway. I was not happy when I confronted him but I was nice turns out he had a fj62 but Still who does that?? also I should have locked my doors.

Driving a beater car most of the time helps avoid the mundane chit chat. If I do drive the cruiser, windows usually stay up at the lights too. Yeah, I know I am being mean….

I am not antisocial by any means but my hearing loss issue makes me want to avoid conversations with strangers in parking lots or at the light. It was even worse for me during the height of the mask wearing phase of the pandemic.

It was even worse for me during the height of the mask wearing phase of the pandemic.

That HAD to be extremely difficult. I can't imagine coping with that kind of challenge.

Most of the time I really enjoy talking land cruiser. I am a land cruiser/toyota nerd haha. The only times I really get annoyed are when I am working on my land cruiser and people come to talk (most likely when you are trying not to drop that bolt that will get lost somewhere in a body panel or under the hood). I live on a busier street.

Most of the time I really enjoy talking land cruiser. I am a land cruiser/toyota nerd haha. The only times I really get annoyed are when I am working on my land cruiser and people come to talk (most likely when you are trying not to drop that bolt that will get lost somewhere in a body panel or under the hood). I live on a busier street.

Just tell people if the want to talk when you are working, please bring a 10mm and 12mm socket so you can hand one to me when mine disappears

That HAD to be extremely difficult. I can't imagine coping with that kind of challenge.

Not everyone gets it....

As long the person is understanding and understands the challenge I am faced with, then I will be nice and take time to talk shop about the cruiser. Sadly people are rarely nice and patient enough about it.

Sorry @FJBen ...too much chit chat even for your thread. I will stop.

Not everyone gets it....

As long the person is understanding and understands the challenge I am faced with, then I will be nice and take time to talk shop about the cruiser. Sadly people are rarely nice and patient enough about it.

Sorry @FJBen ...too much chit chat even for your thread. I will stop.
No worries, chat away.

I get not being able to hear great. I played guitar and sang in a rock band for quite a few years. No hearing protecting blaring away. Young and dumb.

So I decided on lunch yesterday to pull the doors. I loved driving my 40 without the doors, so figured why not with the 74. I just unbolted them doors but now I’m making them “quick release”

These hinges are pretty worn so no harm experimenting. First cut the center pin.

4A93ECD2-359A-4C7C-9692-A870B44B4B22.jpeg

Use a screwdriver to pry them apart, then tap them out from each side.

A8AB6266-EA4C-43F3-83B0-68D1CE972AB2.jpeg

A 5/16” Lynch/bale pin fits pretty dang close. These are a Littleton so I will trim them down and put a hole for a cotterpin so it’s impossible to come out.

C6C2C320-EC1D-4827-BBB6-DD6CFD209C86.jpeg

Inserted in the doors. Honestly, no less loose than my doors were before. Tap the pin easily out and off comes the doors.

5C5F7302-B266-477D-8977-EE6C941F061A.jpeg

Driving around today, getting ready for my daughters graduation on Sunday. Beautiful day. Doors off, hot weather.

Welcome to Colorado.

78E58D0C-7D88-4CCA-9595-5D45B121D54E.jpeg

3ED14E54-51A4-4D9E-965E-69244088E564.jpeg

That’s right, it’s getting down to 26 degrees Saturday night and snowing. Tonight about 7:00 a huge cold front and wind blast and the temp is dropping quickly. The ride back from dinner was freezing and just hammering with wind.

So what do we do? Top and doors back on ready for some rain and snow.

1657650E-02C1-4241-B314-1D76E2304858.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks about like the weather we're supposed to be getting tomorrow here in Montana. Heavy snow and 60mph winds along the Rocky Mountain Front!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom