Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saturday we Ran the Cliffhanger trail. This trail is no joke.
The best and hardest trail I have run in Moab.
Starting with the gate keeper it's one hard obstacle after another.
View attachment 2999077
I took some damage at the gate keeper and so did the other 80 on the run he got his driver fender & door as well as the rear quarter Panel and gas filler door.
You banged it pretty good. Did it crater your taillight assy? Couple months ago I did something similar in that spot on the other side (passenger side), but instead hit a tree sliding down slope sideways on snow. Luckily, taillight was unharmed, but the tree was really trying to get it. Trees are a little more forgiving than rock...lol, and I've almost got it "buffed out" by now.:rolleyes:

Also what's the dent from between taillight and tailgate (circled in pic)?
Broskyon Gatekeeper Moab2022a.jpg

How did he roll? Good thing he didn't roll over a giant ledge.
Steve let his nephew drive, lack of experience, dropped the drivers front wheel off a ledge. my guess is he hit the brake instead of letting it role through.

Last edited:
Was that Steve? Who rolled? That looks like mike smiths old 4Runner that owns bump it off road. Steve is a good guy! Bummer
Yes it was Steve's Rig. And yes Steve is a super nice guy.

You banged it pretty good. Did it crater your taillight assy? Couple months ago I did something similar in that spot on the other side (passenger side), but instead hit a tree sliding down slope sideways on snow. Luckily, taillight was unharmed, but the tree was really trying to get it. Trees are a little more forgiving than rock...lol, and I've almost got it "buffed out" by now.:rolleyes:

Also what's the dent from between taillight and tailgate (circled in pic)?
View attachment 2999290
The taillight assembly is toast, I thought it was salvageable but both mounting points on the tail gate side were broken off and are what you are seeing in the picture.

The taillight assembly is toast, I thought it was salvageable but both mounting points on the tail gate side were broken off and are what you are seeing in the picture.
I see it now. Like you said, it's a piece of the taillight housing hanging on to the mounting screw - not a dent with missing paint like it 1st looked like to me. When I pulled my housing, I was surprised at how exposed the end of the tailgate looks without the housing in place. I was able to get pretty good access through the opening to pound out the dent, though. I was 1st thinking I'd have to pull the inside rear quarter panel, but glad that didn't need to come off. Your dent is a little higher than mine which tells me you must have been at a pretty good angle when you whacked it. My dent originally went from the side marker light to the contoured dip just under the window. 1st whack from the inside popped about 3/4ths of the dent out, PTL! Yours looks pretty complex & gnarly for a garage mechanic like me. But that's rock damage compared to tree damage. Might have to settle for just straightening out the opening to get a taillight housing to fit and consider it "a battle scar"...lol.

I see it now. Like you said, it's a piece of the taillight housing hanging on to the mounting screw - not a dent with missing paint like it 1st looked like to me. When I pulled my housing, I was surprised at how exposed the end of the tailgate looks without the housing in place. I was able to get pretty good access through the opening to pound out the dent, though. I was 1st thinking I'd have to pull the inside rear quarter panel, but glad that didn't need to come off. Your dent is a little higher than mine which tells me you must have been at a pretty good angle when you whacked it. My dent originally went from the side marker light to the contoured dip just under the window. 1st whack from the inside popped about 3/4ths of the dent out, PTL! Yours looks pretty complex & gnarly for a garage mechanic like me. But that's rock damage compared to tree damage. Might have to settle for just straightening out the opening to get a taillight housing to fit and consider it "a battle scar"...lol
Not as bad as it looks s***l rub out.
Seriously that side has been hit half a dozen times and it was the third tail light 🤷‍♂️
I will beat it out again, just get it as close as I can with out using bondo and getting the tail light to fit. hit it with some color match paint and bingo.;)
And I have a good light to put in there already.

Good pics Rich! Wish I had been able to make it this year. Too bad about the body damage and the rolled 4Runner. That's never fun. A couple years ago when I was leading Moab Rim there was a really nice gentleman in a BEAUTIFUL 40 he had just finished building in time for Cruise Moab. He got anxious and came down the Z-Turn without a spotter and put a wheel wrong and rolled the 40. Wasn't a straight panel left on it. Felt horrible for him.

Good pics Rich! Wish I had been able to make it this year. Too bad about the body damage and the rolled 4Runner. That's never fun. A couple years ago when I was leading Moab Rim there was a really nice gentleman in a BEAUTIFUL 40 he had just finished building in time for Cruise Moab. He got anxious and came down the Z-Turn without a spotter and put a wheel wrong and rolled the 40. Wasn't a straight panel left on it. Felt horrible for him.
Ya Adam, I was hoping to see you there !! next year ;)
I was really bummed for Steve it was a clean 4runner. The main thing is that no one was hurt. I was also worried about my wife as she saw the whole thing happen, she was a little hysterical but kept it together. She asked what do we do, I was already out of the car and said grab the first ad kit and bring it to me as I was running down the hill.
I was the first one to reach Steve and his nephew and I climbed up on the passenger side and helped the both climb out.
I was gunning that trail so I orchestrated the recovery while Steve called it in on the satellite phone.
When we were back on the trail she said I was a hero and she was happy to be riding with me, I replied I just did what anyone would have done.
Inside I was really happy she wasn't saying that she was done with trail riding !!!

For me the trail damage was no big deal, the trails that my 80 has been on I'm surprised it's it not a total raisin by now. I do get tired of buying tail lights, the last few times it happened I just bought sets so I have a few extras in my parts stash.

Last edited:
It was a pleasure wheeling w/ you on the pickle and mashed potatoes

Ya Adam, I was hoping to see you there !! next year ;)
I was really bummed for Steve it was a clean 4runner. The main thing is that no one was hurt. I was also worried about my wife as she saw the whole thing happen, she was a little hysterical but kept it together. She asked what do we do, I was already out of the car and said grab the first ad kit and bring it to me as I was running down the hill.
I was the first one to reach Steve and his nephew and I climbed up on the passenger side and helped the both climb out.
I was gunning that trail so I orchestrated the recovery while Steve called it in on the satellite phone.
When we were back on the trail she said I was a hero and she was happy to be riding with me, I replied I just did what anyone would have done.
Inside I was really happy she wasn't saying that she was done with trail riding !!!

For me the trail damage was no big deal, the trails that my 80 has been on I'm surprised it's it not a total raisin by now. I do get tired of buying tail lights, the last few times it happened I just bought sets so I have a few extras in my parts stash.
Nice job. As someone who has led a lot of trails at Cruise Moab it's always a pleasure having experienced wheelers like you in the group that are cool under pressure and are quick to jump in and help when something happens. I'm sure Steve was grateful for your quick response and help with the recovery.

It was a pleasure wheeling w/ you on the pickle and mashed potatoes
Like wise, I was hoping we would have had time to talk more and check out your Rig. It all went by so fast !!

So I would like to say that the Reg was performing very well.
During the last bit of up maintenance and upgrades I installed a photoman 10 % overdrive water pump /fan pulley and I saw a notable difference in engine temperature.
In the past during low speed trail rides in moderate ambient temps 85-90 F with the AC on I would see engine temps in the 195 to 210F range and would ultimately have to turn the AC off tell the temps came back down.
In the same conditions on this trip I never saw the temps go over 192F and most of the time they were around 185 -187F and I did not have to turn the AC off at all.
I did install the foam around the radiator and change out the coolant at the same time that I installed the pulley so that could contribute to the lower temps.
Overall I'm very happy with the lower temp when out on the trail !!!

Last edited:
That pulley might be the ticket for my turbo

I installed a photoman 10 % overdrive water pump /fan pulley and I saw a notable difference in engine temperature.

Could you please provide additional information on this. I'm only aware of a smaller alternator pulley to increase the speed of the alternator but that would not change the speed of the water pump.

Could you please provide additional information on this. I'm only aware of a smaller alternator pulley to increase the speed of the alternator but that would not change the speed of the water pump.
Just like the alternator pulley it's a smaller fan pulley to turn the fan and water pump faster. I got it from member @Photoman

Just like the alternator pulley it's a smaller fan pulley to turn the fan and water pump faster. I got it from member @Photoman

I am just as interested as I live on/in the sun (Arizona) and during the summer it can get hot here.

So I would like to say that the Reg was performing very well.
During the last bit of up maintenance and upgrades I installed a photoman 10 % overdrive water pump /fan pulley and I saw a notable difference in engine temperature.
In the past during low speed trail rides in moderate ambient temps 85-90 F with the AC on I would see engine temps in the 195 to 210F range and would ultimately have to turn the AC off tell the temps came back down.
In the same conditions on this trip I never saw the temps go over 192F and most of the time they were around 185 -187F and I did not have to turn the AC off at all.
I did install the foam around the radiator and change out the coolant at the same time that I installed the pulley so that could contribute to the lower temps.
Overall I'm very happy with the lower temp when out on the trail !!!
Oh man, Im going to give this a try, thanks for posting this. Was there a part number on it?

Oh man, Im going to give this a try, thanks for posting this. Was there a part number on it?
No part number, I just PM Photoman ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom