Just curious, what's your OTHER vehicle? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The manual reference was in regards to the Crosstrek only because CVT is absolute and utter $hit, these are facts lol. In regards to the 5th Gen, we owned three, a SRP, a Limited full-time 4WD and a TRD Pro. They are a great vehicle at $40K and under but beyond that their shortcomings are too glaring and unacceptable especially when compared to more modern drivetrains and tech. At this point it's a 13 year old platform and its age is showing, but they will go down as one of the best of all time for their category.

Agree. CVT's give up too much in terms of driveability to make their fuel economy worth the tradeoff. Subaru CVT's specifically are known to catastrophically fail at low mileage. Even the better CVT's (like Honda) still take all the pleasure out of driving and most companies that experimented with CVT have now replaced them with more gears. My buddy replaced the transmission in his legacy twice and finally gave up and got (lo and behold) a 5th gen 4runner TRD offroad. lol

Agree. CVT's give up too much in terms of driveability to make their fuel economy worth the tradeoff. Subaru CVT's specifically are known to catastrophically fail at low mileage. Even the better CVT's (like Honda) still take all the pleasure out of driving and most companies that experimented with CVT have now replaced them with more gears. My buddy replaced the transmission in his outback twice and finally gave up and got (lo and behold) a 5th gen 4runner TRD offroad. lol
Not to derail this "what's your other vehicle" thread, but CVTs can be really great. For example, we have a new 2021 Sienna Hybrid AWD with a CVT. The thing is crazy efficient, reasonably powerful (can still tow 3500lbs), and at high speeds, it's a non-existent engine. Engine RPM is low even at 90mph. CVTs match RPM exactly to engine needs in a given moment, and I think at least in the application of our minivan, it's the perfect transmission. Always in the right gear.

I've also experienced Toyota CVTs for years in Priuses, and the same thing applies. It will not win any drag races, but that's irrelevant IMO. Toyota's CVTs have proven to be exceptionally reliable and efficient.

1. 2016 F150 w/ 2.7L Ecoboost (21mpg highway @ 70mph)
2. 2008 LX570
3. Motobecane Road/Cyclocross bike
4. Trek Marlin 6 mountain bike

Last edited:
a s***box
IMG_1551.jpeg

The R is not a S^&tbox. Great vehicles. I had a S60R and that thing was awesome. 6 speed, electronic suspension.
This one is lol. Exterior is beat. Dash is lit up like a Christmas tree from a failed BCM and some other ECM stuff. Mechanically very solid though. Fun beater.

No such things as too many bikes and scooters. My cars and truck all live outside because the garage is bikes, scooters, hockey equipment...
That's me! Until last year when bicycles were in short supply and selling for crazy prices, I had 7 bicycles, 4 motor scooters, two kayaks, an old MG, my woodshed crammed up against the wall, snowblower and power washer, and a chest freezer in out 20X24 garage. The LC, Hiker trailer, and wife's Mazda CX5 live in the driveway.

Sold three bicycles and one scooter last year. Two more scooters and and maybe another bike this spring with the gas prices. A 100 MPG Honda ought to look mighty appealing to some folks real soon!

Not to derail this "what's your other vehicle" thread, but CVTs can be really great. For example, we have a new 2021 Sienna Hybrid AWD with a CVT. The thing is crazy efficient, reasonably powerful (can still tow 3500lbs), and at high speeds, it's a non-existent engine. Engine RPM is low even at 90mph. CVTs match RPM exactly to engine needs in a given moment, and I think at least in the application of our minivan, it's the perfect transmission. Always in the right gear.

I've also experienced Toyota CVTs for years in Priuses, and the same thing applies. It will not win any drag races, but that's irrelevant IMO. Toyota's CVTs have proven to be exceptionally reliable and efficient.
Isn't there a video of the Prius running in reverse beating a Corvette?

2017 Mini Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works. 228 hp like driving a legal go cart

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window pickup

1961 FJ40

1965 FJ45 SWB x2. Need to sell one

1977 FJ40

6EABB628-D541-40C3-9EA6-D40D758F461D.jpeg

6FD7E639-1FFB-44CC-99E2-1B6D087F43E7.jpeg

A693EAC1-A8CF-41D9-88BD-7B3FB450BD99.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom