Transfer case disc brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried this disc brake conversion for the parking brake? Looking for Pros and Cons.
1646425614471.png

I know nothing about this TSM system, so have no pro or con. What I do know is that when we (Downey Off Road Mfg) were going to make a transfer-case parking brake we discovered the rotor would have to have a very large diameter in order for the caliper to have enough"leverage/moment arm" to actually hold the vehicle on a steep hillside. This meant the rotor would have to hang down well below the transfer-case and skid plate, consequently get mangled on rocks- - -just saying.

I installed the above in my 67FJ40 and yes it hangs down and won’t work for using on the rocks. It holds okay for what I use it for - not rolling when I am in neutral around town. At some point, I will figure out an ebrake on the rear axle. Lost the transfer e brake when I swapped in a driveline from an FJ60.

Drum brakes accumulate mud and if the seal ring is leaking, the brake becomes useless.

Well maintained drum brakes there working pretty good, just make sure the seal ring is really sealing. I had once a leak there and the inner race of the drum brake was contaminated. I really had to grind the braking surface and replace the pads, do a proper adjustment and now the brake can hold the vehicle on a more or less steep hill.

I guess, I would try to convert the normal brakes for discs (pretty common upgrade down here) and try to install calipers with a manual input, to have a hand brake like most of the other cars have. That could also work a little bit as a poor man's diff lock on the rear.

I know nothing about this TSM system, so have no pro or con. What I do know is that when we (Downey Off Road Mfg) were going to make a transfer-case parking brake we discovered the rotor would have to have a very large diameter in order for the caliper to have enough"leverage/moment arm" to actually hold the vehicle on a steep hillside. This meant the rotor would have to hang down well below the transfer-case and skid plate, consequently get mangled on rocks- - -just saying.
I still remember doing the R&D with you…over 20 years ago.😊

Contact @orangefj45 or Red Line Land Cruiser for proper OEM split case e brake set up.

Yes we have the OEM split case ebrake components in stock along with Tcase rebuild kits snd lots of other parts …..

Happy to help!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

PS: this is one of our current projects which is a customers FJ40; complete replacement powertrain including a split case with the OEM parking brake. All supplied and installed by us.

46D179F0-BDEB-47BE-86B9-A4081CA2BECB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom