Stellarbuilt 200 on 37s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tbisaacs

It's basically a Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
I just saw this on Instagram

E5DFCA23-1CD0-40B9-ACB1-5D674CB03B32.png

9E733062-73F8-498D-AFD2-09A426770374.png

This rig was posted earlier getting fitted with Dobinson MRRs.

Love seeing this stuff. 200s are finally getting their inner beast built out.

Interesting KDSS delete. Wonder if they're going sans sway bar or fitting LX tender or overseas LC sways?

It will definitely need the 24g LRA with the new 8mpg 🤪

Wonder what's brewing. Sounds awesome.

Separately, I just did a calculation over a long road trip without trailer. I'm just under 2MPG worse than stock with generally stock aero and 35s.

Interesting KDSS delete. Wonder if they're going sans sway bar or fitting LX tender or overseas LC sways?

Wonder what's brewing. Sounds awesome.

Separately, I just did a calculation over a long road trip without trailer. I'm just under 2MPG worse than stock with generally stock aero and 35s.
Recognizing the inherent limitations of running without a swaybar, it’s actually quite drivable. Particularly when you add wider OE stance with Tundra components, likely reduced offset wheels, and stiffer springs. I ran the 4Runner with out a front swaybar for a few weeks and preferred the way the front end handled bumps. I put it back on for ‘safety’ reasons but no so sure that I actually needed to.

I’ve been running without a rear swaybar on the 4R for 50k miles now without issue.

Highway will certainly help but around town the mpg sinks like a battleship. I would like to go back to 35”s, just think the 200 would do much better re-geared. Just not sure I want to go down that road just yet.

Potential emergency maneuvers are where I think sway bar removal is risky.

I can see a more focused or dedicated off-road vehicle run without sways. Or perhaps no rear sways.

With as much suspension travel as these rigs have, weight and higher center of gravity, there's little doubt that it would be higher risk operating them on the freeway in that manner. A quick transition or moose type maneuver is going to send her over. No front sway further increases the risk of the front end biting, leaning in, and rolling.

I've heard strategies including narrower tires and positive camber, to reduce cornering traction to increase safety. At least rollover safety at a compromise to avoidance safety.

Last edited:
Interesting build, but was more interested when I thought it was getting a solid axle. Having owned an FJ-62 a solid front axle makes no sense for my use (at least not with leaves), but having owned an FJ-62 I'm also a sentimental sucker for a solid front axle. I would have killed to Trail Tailor's front coil conversion back then...

I go back and forth on whether I like the KDSS or not. The 200 is my second (GX460 also has KDSS). I don't think that it is all that great on road. I can definitely tell when the KDSS "kicks in" on road. I don't love the feeling of going from squish to firm at a defined point instead of progressively - it kind of unnerving on the mountain roads I regularly drive. On the other hand I can feel the benefit on fire roads with the size of craters that really works the suspension in the 10-20mph range. So a mixed bag as far as I'm concerned and not nearly as effective on road as a standard anti-sway bar. Upgrading to the well tuned Radflo suspension on the GX mitigated this some. I'll get around the the 200's suspension this fall and see if I can get the suspension and the KDSS to have a little more harmony on road.

I upgraded the anti-sway bars in my FJ-62 (which came stock with front and rear as opposed to just 1 on FJ-60s). White Industry (I think?) made bigger bars. I had to fab my own extended links from and rear to get the stock geometry so that the bars would actually work lifted (everyone makes extended sway bar links for the 60 series now but no one seems to make upgraded bars anymore). I don't do the kind of off roading where anti-sway bars would limit articulation and impact performance, and it made a significant positive difference on road and on mild to moderate washboards. But I could also feel them fighting the limited travel of the FJ-62 on the same type of big craters that the KDSS handles well (even lifted, with a suspension that I spent a huge amount of time tuning, both the Bilstein 7100s and the leaf packs themselves - swapping leaves - the FJ-6* does not have the kind of easy flex like a coil or coilover).

On my Audi A4 project I project I upgraded the rear anti-sway to combat the pretty extreme understeer inherent in this car. The difference in size of the stock bar and the replacement was incredible. It was probably the single best mod I did to that car, including the turbo tune, Bilstein coilovers, strut brace, brake upgrades, etc. The thing was just planted after the bar went in.

This just came across my feed on FB. Beast mode 37x12.5R17 from Norway? Arctic truck build?

1619463209373.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom