Sniper install after 5 year slumber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned my '83 FJ60 for 31 years. It was my DD for 26 of those years. 5 years ago I parked it to focus on other life priorities. I would start it occasionally but that petered out as life got in the way. Long story short, it sat unused for the majority of those 5 years. I recently decided to bring it back to life. I went through every maintenance item I could think of. Completely went through the brakes (MC, wheel cylinders, rotors, pads & calipers). I did the famous Knuckle Job and front bearings. I still need to R&R the clutch. This one only lasted 203K!! Then after reading all the glowing posts about the Holley Sniper, I made the plunge. I suffered for many years with the old emissions stuff and periodic failures of those components. I obviously did a complete desmog and installed the Sniper. What a difference! Instant starts hot or cold and a little peppier performance. I'm still breaking in the Sniper but so far it is great. Here's my install. SimS
sniper1.jpg
sniper3.jpg

Since you have owned your truck so long, I am curious after you log some more miles and drive time what your sniper opinion is. I am sure it will be an improvement but curious. It seems like it would be a great improvement And you have some serious history with the Carbonated 2f.

thank You for sharing your thoughts on the sniper.

Awesome! I am currently in the repair/maintenance phase. However, this is my end goal. I would love to hear any follow up you have on the pros and cons as you get used to the system.

@OG SUV @bcolvin

I will update my experiences with the Sniper. Right now, I'm letting it learn before I start tweaking the tune. Out of of the box there is some minor bogging at WOT around 3500 RPM. We'll see how or if it cleans up.
SimS

Nice clean looking install. I’d wrap those braided lines especially where they come in contact with the thermostat housing. They can act like a saw with movement and vibration.

@OG SUV @bcolvin

I will update my experiences with the Sniper. Right now, I'm letting it learn before I start tweaking the tune. Out of of the box there is some minor bogging at WOT around 3500 RPM. We'll see how or if it cleans up.
SimS

Are you using the factory US 60 distributor? Is it recurved? Where is your target AFR set for WOT operation?

Just did a Sniper conversion on my 84, and still in the tuning phase.

Peter

@NMfjCruiser ,
Thank you. The "braided lines" are a reflective, aluminized loom material covering standard J30R9 hoses . I wanted something to reflect any heat coming off the motor near the fuel lines. I'm not sure there is enough relative movement for any sawing action but I will keep an eye on it for any rubbing.

@peterpeterson ,
I'm using the stock US distributor. I have not touched the stock timing. But I do have to address the timing. During the desmog/installation process, I discovered only the secondary vacuum advance is working. Who knows how long the primary vacuum advance was busted? Right now it's running off of the secondary only. I will try bumping the timing a few degrees and then I'll probably do the home brew re-curve with the aluminum spacer and the MSD springs to control the mechanical advance. I really want to have a decent vacuum advance for cruise timing and right now the secondary vacuum advance isn't enough. I'm investigating adapting the Sniper timing control using a "locked" stock distributor. But that's down the road. I'm thinking it will be easier to cobble up some other Toyota vacuum advance diaphragm to this distributor. I just checked the WOT AFR and it is 12.5. I don't recall setting it with the Sniper Wizard so I think that is the default from Holley.

SimS

@OG SUV @bcolvin

SimS
Yes, nice clean install, sounds like you have done your homework.
You are not the only one with the "Sniper bog". It really isn't a big deal, you just gotta back off the throttle a little. However, I find it perplexing. Check your TPS when it happens. Mine starts bogging at between 43% and 46%. Do you get a stumble or engine stall when you stop after down-shifting? I do sometimes when the engine temp is below 160°. Other then that, I'm very pleased with the Sniper.

Yes, nice clean install, sounds like you have done your homework.
You are not the only one with the "Sniper bog". It really isn't a big deal, you just gotta back off the throttle a little. However, I find it perplexing. Check your TPS when it happens. Mine starts bogging at between 43% and 46%. Do you get a stumble or engine stall when you stop after down-shifting? I do sometimes when the engine temp is below 160°. Other then that, I'm very pleased with the Sniper.
@MoaByte
I have the throttle on the mat (100% TPS) when I experience the bog around 3200 - 3500 RPM. It "cleans" up and pulls through the bog up to redline. So my assumption is that the Sniper is adjusting/learning the fueling requirements. As I mentioned before the WOT AFR setting is at 12.5. The CTS/temp is above 160. I'm still a rookie as far as EFI tuning/tweaking. I'm doing some research. I have to learn how to datalog and/or watch the LCD for TPS and AFR readings during this event.

SimS

Do any of you guys have a detailed AFR graph from a dyno pull? This would help greatly in further understanding the issue and allowing for some data driven mapping updates to happen.

Just my 2c based on previous experience with other EFI systems.

Cheers, James

@MoaByte
I have the throttle on the mat (100% TPS) when I experience the bog around 3200 - 3500 RPM. It "cleans" up and pulls through the bog up to redline. So my assumption is that the Sniper is adjusting/learning the fueling requirements. As I mentioned before the WOT AFR setting is at 12.5. The CTS/temp is above 160. I'm still a rookie as far as EFI tuning/tweaking. I'm doing some research. I have to learn how to datalog and/or watch the LCD for TPS and AFR readings during this event.

SimS

The sniper holds that target AFR pretty well on the 2F. Doesn't really rev fast enough for it not to be able to adjust.

Sounds more like an ignition/timing issue vs. fuel.

Take a look at the MAP signal as well in the RPM area where the bog is happening. I have the data logger "always on" right now during tuning. It's helping find small drivability issues.

Peter

@NMfjCruiser ,
Thank you. The "braided lines" are a reflective, aluminized loom material covering standard J30R9 hoses . I wanted something to reflect any heat coming off the motor near the fuel lines. I'm not sure there is enough relative movement for any sawing action but I will keep an eye on it for any rubbing.

@peterpeterson ,
I'm using the stock US distributor. I have not touched the stock timing. But I do have to address the timing. During the desmog/installation process, I discovered only the secondary vacuum advance is working. Who knows how long the primary vacuum advance was busted? Right now it's running off of the secondary only. I will try bumping the timing a few degrees and then I'll probably do the home brew re-curve with the aluminum spacer and the MSD springs to control the mechanical advance. I really want to have a decent vacuum advance for cruise timing and right now the secondary vacuum advance isn't enough. I'm investigating adapting the Sniper timing control using a "locked" stock distributor. But that's down the road. I'm thinking it will be easier to cobble up some other Toyota vacuum advance diaphragm to this distributor. I just checked the WOT AFR and it is 12.5. I don't recall setting it with the Sniper Wizard so I think that is the default from Holley.

SimS

Bogging is often a result of over fueling. I suspect that you will have to do some manual adjustments to the fuel to tweak problem areas that it sounds like the sniper can't seem to pull out on its own. I don't have a sniper yet so I'll ask....can you plug a lap top in and work from there or are you limited to the Pendant and is the pendant setup with enough function to allow for precise tuning?

Bogging is often a result of over fueling. I suspect that you will have to do some manual adjustments to the fuel to tweak problem areas that it sounds like the sniper can't seem to pull out on its own. I don't have a sniper yet so I'll ask....can you plug a lap top in and work from there or are you limited to the Pendant and is the pendant setup with enough function to allow for precise tuning?
You can hook up a laptop and you can put a SSD card into the pendant and data log. I have yet to do these things.

As the number of FJ60 sniper installs increases it seems like it would be beneficial to create a shared file (drop box etc) where people could upload their maps. Understanding of course that there are differences in every engine....but still might be helpful

@FJACS ,
Thanks for the link/info. I reached out to @4Cruisers on his advance diaphragms
SimS

I've experienced many of the symptoms mentioned such as stalls coming to a stop and bogging under load. I'm all Mac and haven't purchased a PC yet to download the Sniper software to manually tune. What I did learn is RF interference can be the problem. I had a portion of the O2 sensor cable in the same loom running across the firewall with a 4 gauge wire connecting the positive post on battery to a BlueSea fuse block on driver fender area. When I separated the O2 sensor cable from this heavy gauge wire, the bogging under load immediately disappeared. I still have some idle issues but the system now seems to be learning through it as it is getting better.

I was able to take it out on the "Fins 'n' Things" trail yesterday evening to watch the Harvest Moon rise from behind the La Sal Mtn's. I was very pleased! I have idle set to 650 and that is the rpm it maintained over some rough and steep areas. On the steeper stuff I could add a little throttle and it would gently bring the rpm up smoothly from less than 400 rpm. Going down the steps, I could ride the brakes with clutch engaged and ease the rear bumper down to the sandstone. I did kill the motor twice. First time was checking to see just how much hill it would idle up. The second was just sloppy driving on my part. The idle is so smooth. I was smiling a lot.

Installed mine about 3 weeks ago, very similar bogging mainly in 3rd when I get in the throttle, Intermittent backfiring when I let off the gas in 4th & 5th.
I know my timing is way advanced over stock, did the DIY recurve last year. Exhaust smells Fat (rich) to me. I'm probably not driving it enough but I'm gonna
let it learn for a bit before I start fooling around timing and Sniper settings.
:beer:

I haven't had much chance to get out on the highway but the day after crawling trails there is a noticable improvement in how well it runs. It's been a long road. I had intake leaks, a faulty fuel pressure regulator, then a clogged fuel filter that ruined the Walbro fuel pump, then I had problems with my non-DUI HEI dizzy grounding through the distributor shaft cooking the lube to thick gum, seizing the advance. The replacement HEI did the same. I learned a lot these last 8 months and am so glad for the wealth of knowledge and support I found here in MUD. The Sniper is the ticket for the smoothest, cleanest desmog. The smooth low-end torque and acceleration is unbelievable. It really brings out the best in the 2F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom