Sniper install after 5 year slumber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like someone with the install done needs to spend some time with a tuner on a Dyno.

Bought my truck in Grand Junction....but I don't know about tuners and dyno's over there

I took mine to a tuner and put it on the dyno and the guys there were Sniper experts.
Basically they said there is not a lot you can do to a Sniper 2300 to tune it on the dyno. There are other more expensive models they use that could but he said for what I have it would be silly to worry about it

I now have 3 sniper 2Fs in my fleet and have installed a few more.

I only had one of my personal snipers that bogged like the OP spoke of. I’ve been running it over a year.

Last weekend I had a roadside fuel pump failure that we thought was the Sniper. I had a new one at my shop about to be installed in my FJ45. I put the new Sniper in my 60 and after a quick AFR tune I hit the interstate and it ran perfectly. Zero bog. No learning. Stock settings.

Came home. Put the used (bogging) Sniper on a new build I finished. Reset all the setting to stock. Test drove. Bogging in 3rd and 4th at 65+ throttle. Back off. Smooth but no WOT.

Came back home. Added another brand new sniper that belongs to a friend to the 45. Stock settings. No learning.

Runs perfect. Full pulls hard and slow. Zero bog.

So......after a year of decent performance with my FJ60 but learning to drive it without smashing the throttle I now have 3 Sniper 2Fs, all on stock settings. All doing perfect.

I plan on typing all of this up and sending it to Holley to see if they want to examine the one that bogs. They might. Who knows.

2481051E-43FE-4D79-876F-FEC055C0CF6D.jpeg

8BE0939F-89C7-4C83-9099-F02B363C16C6.jpeg

I took mine to a tuner and put it on the dyno and the guys there were Sniper experts.
Basically they said there is not a lot you can do to a Sniper 2300 to tune it on the dyno. There are other more expensive models they use that could but he said for what I have it would be silly to worry about it

I only had one of my personal snipers that bogged like the OP spoke of. I’ve been running it over a year.

Last weekend I had a roadside fuel pump failure that we thought was the Sniper. I had a new one at my shop about to be installed in my FJ45. I put the new Sniper in my 60 and after a quick AFR tune I hit the interstate and it ran perfectly. Zero bog. No learning. Stock settings.

Came home. Put the used (bogging) Sniper on a new build I finished. Reset all the setting to stock. Test drove. Bogging in 3rd and 4th at 65+ throttle. Back off. Smooth but no WOT.

Came back home. Added another brand new sniper that belongs to a friend to the 45. Stock settings. No learning.

So......after a year of decent performance with my FJ60 but learning to drive it without smashing the throttle I now have 3 Sniper 2Fs, all on stock settings. All doing perfect.

I plan on typing all of this up and sending it to Holley to see if they want to examine the one that bogs. They might. Who knows.

View attachment 2457518

View attachment 2457521
Thank you!!

View attachment 2457518

View attachment 2457521

Thats a very good data set to reference. Sounds like your one Sniper unit has some sensor out of whack or maybe a manufacturing defect. Lucky you had the others to reference for some good base lines for how i should be.

View attachment 2457518

View attachment 2457521
look at u doin 80mph......................

I have been slowly figuring out some Sniper tuning. I bumped the timing up to 10* (I still don't have a working primary vacuum advance) and I started to get the "stalling coming to a stop" problem. I also got bucking and lurching when crawling at or near idle. I was watching the LCD monitor and it showed crazy lean, like 25-30:1 AFR just before stalling. So I figured that the fuel was going away at decel and while returning to idle. Sometimes the Sniper could catch it and keep it running but it generally stalled. I'm not 100% sure that this problem was caused by a timing change but it coincidentally happened around the same time. Maybe the self learning changed something. I don't know.

So I copied the default config file and inspected it with the Sniper software. I started trolling through all the settings and finally got to "Decel Fuel Cutoff"(DFC). Hmmmm, that sounds like my problem. Well in my out of the box settings, the DFC was disabled(??!!). That explained the stalling and weird off throttle lean out on return to idle. So the solution is/was to enable DFC(Check the Enable box), set the "Decel Wait Time" to .5 second, and "RPM Added to Idle for Fuel Activation" to 300. These parameters were just a best guess and kind of made some sense to me at the time (i.e. "shot in the dark"). I figured that these settings where fairly mild and would be easy to see if they caused any improvement. I saved and uploaded the new config file to the Sniper ECU. Well, BIG difference. No more stalling, no more hesitation when blipping the throttle and no more bucking/lurching at off throttle crawling. That is the only change I made to the default Sniper config file. I plan on making only one small change at a time to the software so I don't confuse myself while I learn how to tune the Sniper EFI. YMMV
SimS

I’ve never looked at that setting. I had one guy that was having that problem with his truck and I blamed it on the regulator. I’ll go see how to do this and check.

Can this be found on the handheld screen or only on a computer ? @FJ60Cam

I wish Holley could do something about it, but I doubt they'll see much unless they can have the problematic units back to physically test. I say that because I've fought several of these bogging trucks, and the only datalog "tell" is an oscillation that appears in AFR. The problem is that the data appears to be aliased (incomplete due to slow data rates). Furthermore, the Holley folks I spoke with didn't see an issue with the values in that area...they said they were well within acceptable AFR range. They agreed that the oscillation looked different from the rest of the log, but didn't see anything "wrong."

Thank you @sims. I too have these issues.
I also have the bog above 46% TPI. Runs great other that.

Man-a-fre HEI @ 11° @wngrog

Just wondering. Some use older Toyota dissys with questionable vacuum advance.

Ever check your plugs? I used to run a bit more gap with my AFI setup and Autolite plugs (they recommend) .055 gap.

I have Toyota plugs gapped to .040 now. I’ve been wondering about trying a hotter plug with bigger gap just to see if I could feel anything at WOT

Just wondering. Some use older Toyota dissys with questionable vacuum advance.

Ever check your plugs? I used to run a bit more gap with my AFI setup and Autolite plugs (they recommend) .055 gap.

I have Toyota plugs gapped to .040 now. I’ve been wondering about trying a hotter plug with bigger gap just to see if I could feel anything at WOT
Yep. Tried both settings. No notable difference. Stalling happens stopping after down hill, but usually before 160°. The dissy has been a PITA, but after rebuilding it and packing it with wheel bearing grease it seems to be cured. However bogging is present at whatever static advance I've tried.

So, since I’ve not done the PC stuff.

Do I just pull the XD card out and stick it into the PC and pull files?
Yes. There are complete online instructions on how to upload/download the config file. Holley has several Youtube videos that walk through the process.
SimS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom