chassis rust patch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i was inspecting a 60 today and noticed 2 rust spots and bent metal at the rear of the chassis near the shackle mounts on both sides. Is this bad?

IMG20200817121357.jpg

IMG20200817121413.jpg

IMG20200817121600.jpg

IMG20200817121602.jpg

IMG20200817121615.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad . Very common problem.l in these. Search “ C channel rust repair” Your in for a fun job if you choose to repair. Basically you’ll remove the existing inner c channel sleeve and replace. Most guys bolt a new one in. Some choose to box in that section of frame ...... The Factory hot rivers are an absolute bear To get out. But an angle grinder, sledge and air chisel will do the job. Just be prepared to discover other rust problems potentially lurking

Trail Tailor makes a nice replacement kit for the C-channels. They are usually the first place to rust on the frame. Here's my documented repair:

I also have done the channel repair using TT's kit. Straight forward but a bitch to pull old ones out.

The metal is still sufficiently strong. The rust hasn't killed it yet ... but it will if ignored.

If that entire rusted frame area is saturated with a non drying, creeping, corrosion inhibitor, the rust can be stopped and further rust damage stopped.
It won't look nice and likely will stink of whatever you choose (do a sniff test first before committing to contaminating your car)
but with the right stuff sprayed on, you can save that frame section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom