craigslist Maltec Toyota Explorer Series 7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maltec does some very "gray-area" VIN work. Rumors are they've been caught in the past. The laws are silly but they are there. If you can get away with it, go for it. Slightly risky in this case, but you'll probably be ok... until you wreck it.

Gray-area? By that you must mean unlawful?🤫

I can’t understand why one would pursue this when you could buy several very nice and 100% US road legal trucks for a fraction of the cost of this. Did I also mention that this vehicle is noncompliant with EPA and DOT regulations?

Gray-area? By that you must mean unlawful?🤫

I can’t understand why one would pursue this when you could buy several very nice and 100% US road legal trucks for a fraction of the cost of this. Did I also mention that this vehicle is noncompliant with EPA and DOT regulations?
However there are probably a lot of “deep pocketed” guys out there that are clueless as to the potential legal issues. They simply know it’s cool and that their friends don’t have one. :)

Where in Colorado do you register? Here in the front range they are way more stringent. It is a pain in the butt. I’d love a more casual option! Not that I’m breaking any laws or anything, they just make you jump through a lot of hoops.

Front range is for sure more stringent but Maltec isn't in the front range and yeah, I get that. The VIN stuff with them seems like it could be problematic for a number of reasons as others have stated.

I’m confused. If they use a 25-year-old HDJ80 chassis and engine and then put a new 79 series body on top, is that illegal to import? There are several builds of just that sort of thing on MUD already. Or is it something else?

I’m confused. If they use a 25-year-old HDJ80 chassis and engine and then put a new 79 series body on top, is that illegal to import? There are several builds of just that sort of thing on MUD already. Or is it something else?

That's what they typically do, this one has a much newer v8 diesel.

Good to know. So here's what I think I'm hearing: it's illegal to important the Maltec because while the chasis/engine combo is OK, the body has been substantially modified from the original - and that's the illegal part. But importing a stock HDJ80 25+ years old would be legal and then replacing the body once it's in the UW would still be legal, right?

Good to know. So here's what I think I'm hearing: it's illegal to important the Maltec because while the chasis/engine combo is OK, the body has been substantially modified from the original - and that's the illegal part. But importing a stock HDJ80 25+ years old would be legal and then replacing the body once it's in the UW would still be legal, right?

I don't agree it's illegal to import. It might be illegal in some states (CA) but other states have a "kit car" registration loophole. NM is one of them. Sackwear registered his without a hiccup. Login • Instagram Most states only care about the VIN and the VIN on that is legit. It's no different than the half cuts SOR was doing back in the day.

What if you took your legal US vehicle that was originally sold in the US, drove (or shipped) it to some other country, modified it, then brought it back.
You then are not importing it at all.
Same as driving to TJ for lunch, then driving back.

I don't agree it's illegal to import. It might be illegal in some states (CA) but other states have a "kit car" registration loophole. NM is one of them. Sackwear registered his without a hiccup. Login • Instagram Most states only care about the VIN and the VIN on that is legit. It's no different than the half cuts SOR was doing back in the day.

You don't have to agree with me. You are describing state-level policies, whereas we are discussing importation, which falls under the remit of the Federal government through its agency arms of the Department of Transportation, EPA, and Customs and Border Protection.

What if you took your legal US vehicle that was originally sold in the US, drove (or shipped) it to some other country, modified it, then brought it back.

Also not legal because several of the parts (e.g., front bumper, headlamps) installed do not comply with US DOT FMVSS

But importing a stock HDJ80 25+ years old would be legal and then replacing the body once it's in the UW would still be legal, right?

Also not legal, I'm afraid, because *some* of the parts imported into the US are not legal for importation. Parts such as the front bumper, head lamps, and other components, which are regulated under DOT FMVSS, for a non US vehicle will almost always be without DOT markings, rendering them not legal for importation.

The only exception is if the owner has a FMVSS exempt vehicle, such as a 25 year old Land Cruiser. That is why us who have legal 25+ year old cars can install FMVSS exempt parts, because we are entitled to that. But, your imported HDJ80 can only receive parts for that vehicle, and not parts from a 79 series.

I disagree. To expand on what @Reinhardtius said above, there's a widespread belief that if you can plate a car, it's legally here in the USA. That's not always true. There are many examples of cars here illegally that nonetheless have registration and plates. The problem comes from conflating the terms "legal to import" and "registered in the US". Not synonymous.

The laws governing which cars (or parts) are legal to import are Federal laws, and are administered by the DOT, EPA, and CBP.
The laws governing titling and licensing of cars are State laws, and are administered by State and Local agencies.
It's entirely possible to be in compliance with one and in violation of the other. The seized and crushed cars made famous in YouTube videos all had American license plates, registrations, insurance cards, etc. The Feds don't care.

Some States are notoriously lax regarding the registration of vehicles, and if you're able to smuggle something past Customs somehow (they can't check every shipping container), then you're likely to be able to get it registered somewhere. Getting something past Customs does not make it legal. Being in compliance with the relevant laws makes it legal. That said, the chances of roving bands of Federal Agents coming to look for you once it's here are slim (but not zero--see above reference to YouTube). If your State registered it, they're not going to come looking for you, either. Your insurance company will take your premiums every month, but (heaven forbid) you get in an accident, they might not be so forthcoming paying your claim if they discover your car is in the US in violation of Federal Statute. There are risks. Everyone can weigh them for themselves.

All of this is just to say that any potential buyer should educate themselves on the relevant issues before making an investment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well...actually, if you do this, you are importing it, or "re-importing" it, to be technically correct. The NHTSA will require certification that it is still in compliance with all relevant FMVSS, and the EPA will need to certify that the original drivetrain and emissions equipment is in place as originally manufactured. So I'm not sure what kind of modifications you might be thinking of, but certainly nothing like body, engine, and chassis swapping.

A better analogy might be driving to TJ to pick up some contraband then driving back.

I am not overly familiar with Craigslist. If this vehicle sells does Craigslist acknowledge it in some way or does the ad simply disappear?

And I also have seen horror show modifications from stateside builders that are "legally" on the road. I have walked through hundreds of 40/42/45/55/60/70's and driven 40+ that were death traps and legally road registered in the US. Rotten frames, home brewed steering, 1/2 ass US market add ons, 1/4" plate fj40 hoods, plumbing repair parts on brake lines, and the horror of potash mine trucks. I have personally parted out 30 trucks that were utter crap (including fourteen 45 wagons). I will bet many of the stretched 79 body on 80 frames have sub standard welding and would fail crash tests.
Henry Cubillan and I use to joke about it all the time. And as I shared with gilmorneau the majority of the rover owners got their trucks back. The impound and crush thing really did not happen to the extent people believe. In the end Maltec shells are outstanding products but they don't come cheap - for the camper alone.

I am not overly familiar with Craigslist. If this vehicle sells does Craigslist acknowledge it in some way or does the ad simply disappear?

Either the seller pulls the ad when something sells, or the ad simply expires and disappears if the seller does nothing.

The impound and crush thing really did not happen to the extent people believe.

True. While it did actually happen, it's only a few cars as far as I can tell. The ones that got crushed were found to be in violation (probably without the knowledge of the owners, BTW), while the cars belonging to owners who got their vehicles back were investigated and found (after litigation) to be in the US legally. The lesson is: If you've done everything "by the book", keep all the paperwork so you can prove it on the (very) small chance someone asks. (Another lesson might be that if you have a car of questionable legality, don't go braggin' about it on a public forum. lol...)

what happened to the 79 Papp brought in and assume had to get rid of? (I haven't really followed for a year)

wonder if this is that truck was used to make this? same drivetrain.

Maybe it has the Papp emissions box of magic.

what happened to the 79 Papp brought in and assume had to get rid of? (I haven't really followed for a year)

wonder if this is that truck was used to make this? same drivetrain.

Last time I heard of it mentioned on here, it was at one of those cars and coffee events somewhere and pics where posted here. That was last year and the link to that thread is here: Found at Caffeine & Octane Atlanta

If that truck was used to make the maltec example then that could explain the high price. The Papp truck was priced pretty high to begin with from what I remember. I doubt this is the same truck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom