285/70/17 or 285/75/17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Ok it’s time for new tires went wheeling yesterday and I need tires really bad VFA below. So I’ve read just about every thread I could I’m still unsure of what to get. This is what I have.

Ome 2” lift
No UCA
Rock warriors

So my question is can I fit 285/75/17 on without rubbing or spacers? Or should I just the smaller 285/70/17 which I currently have on that came with the rock warriors. I’d love to get the bigger tire but if it’s going to be hassle I don’t know if it’ll be worth the extra inch. Also my buddies are saying to get the toyo open country but I don’t see much on the forums about them. Thanks for your time.

TONS of info on this exact topic if you search. I've posted many times about 285/75/17 from my personal experience, and lots of others have too. If you're referring to the Toyo AT2, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. It's an old tire design, and there are better options on the market in 285/75/17 like Nitto Ridge Grappler and KO2. There's a reason you don't read a lot about them - a member here shredded two of them on the LCDC trip.

TONS of info on this exact topic if you search. I've posted many times about 285/75/17 from my personal experience, and lots of others have too. If you're referring to the Toyo AT2, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. It's an old tire design, and there are better options on the market in 285/75/17 like Nitto Ridge Grappler and KO2. There's a reason you don't read a lot about them - a member here shredded two of them on the LCDC trip.
Thanx for the reply when I search 285/75/17 not much comes up sorry to bother you but you think you can point me to a couple of the threads
thanx for the reply I was searching under 275/75/17 and nothing much came up I’ll mix up a little and see if anything else comes up

If you're going for a 2" OME lift on the 200, I'd highly recommend aftermarket UCA's. I have a 2" OME lift w/ BP-51's and 285/70R17 KO2's on my 200, and the shop I purchased from forgot to install my SPC UCA's. I drove it around for a day, and even though the Camber and Toe were in spec, the Caster couldn't be brought to Toyota spec and it drove really strange. I figured out quickly that they forgot to install the UCA's, took it back, and as soon as the SPC UCA's were put on and the Caster was adjusted appropriately, the cruiser drove like it was supposed to. You can get the SPC pair for about $500 from Slee.

Furthermore, with the SPC UCA's, the caster adjustment will allow you to move the wheel front/rear in the wheel well so that you can better fit a 285/75R17 tire.

If you're going for a 2" OME lift on the 200, I'd highly recommend aftermarket UCA's. I have a 2" OME lift w/ BP-51's and 285/70R17 KO2's on my 200, and the shop I purchased from forgot to install my SPC UCA's. I drove it around for a day, and even though the Camber and Toe were in spec, the Caster couldn't be brought to Toyota spec and it drove really strange. I figured out quickly that they forgot to install the UCA's, took it back, and as soon as the SPC UCA's were put on and the Caster was adjusted appropriately, the cruiser drove like it was supposed to. You can get the SPC pair for about $500 from Slee.

Furthermore, with the SPC UCA's, the caster adjustment will allow you to move the wheel front/rear in the wheel well so that you can better fit a 285/75R17 tire.
Thank you for the reply I recently put the lift in and got the alignment done and it seems to be driving fine but maybe I’ll get the UCAs just to be on the safe side. I was trying to save some money by not getting them but I really want the bigger tires. Do you have rubbing at all? I read one thread and giajin (i think that his name) and he said for the extra 1/2 inch why bother.

I found the drive a lot better with the UCA's. Maybe find a nearby member who has a similarly setup 200 with the UCA's installed, and drive their 200 so you can compare.

I live in Angola and couldn't source the 285/75R17 KO2's. I had to stick with the 285/70R17 KO2's. They don't rub at all. From what I've heard the 285/70's won't rub even without a lift.

As for the difference in size/height, the factory 285/65R17 on my 200 is about 31.6" per www.tiresize.com. The 285/70R17 is 32.7" and the 285/75 is 33.8". All that will vary based on tire type and manufacturer, but 2" of extra tire, giving you an 1" of ground clearance is a decent difference, especially when you air down. Saying that, I really like the 285/70R17's. They stick with the factory tire width, and still give a 1/2" of extra ground clearance from the factory dunlops.

I found the drive a lot better with the UCA's. Maybe find a nearby member who has a similarly setup 200 with the UCA's installed, and drive their 200 so you can compare.

I live in Angola and couldn't source the 285/75R17 KO2's. I had to stick with the 285/70R17 KO2's. They don't rub at all. From what I've heard the 285/70's won't rub even without a lift.

As for the difference in size/height, the factory 285/65R17 on my 200 is about 31.6" per www.tiresize.com. The 285/70R17 is 32.7" and the 285/75 is 33.8". All that will vary based on tire type and manufacturer, but 2" of extra tire, giving you an 1" of ground clearance is a decent difference, especially when you air down. Saying that, I really like the 285/70R17's. They stick with the factory tire width, and still give a 1/2" of extra ground clearance from the factory dunlops.
I’ve had the old KO 285/70/17 on for about 9 month now they came with the RW. They work fine I was riding with them with no rub at all. Money being a issue for me but still wanting to upgrade as much as possible. I was hoping to go bigger. I went wheeling this last weekend and I was scared of getting a flat cause I just have the stock spare, although I did just buy a RW for the spare from the classified on this forum. So what your saying that the 285/70/17 is very close to stock tire size I think the smarter thing for me to do is just stick with the 285/70/17. That way no need to get the UCA or spacers. The way the LC drives now is fine for me for now. Then later on when I can afford it more then I’ll upgrade to the bp51 and UCA. I’m thinking I’m going to go with the nitto ridge grappler per another members recommendation. I’ll hopefully get a good deal on them. Thank you for your time.

Pleasure mate. I don't think you can go wrong with the 285/70R17 as a mild upgrade from OEM. I've no experience with the Ridge Grapplers, but lots of folks have good things to say about them. Enjoy your cruiser!

285/70R17 is a ~33" tire and will fit easily.

285/75R17 (and 285/70R18) is a 34" tire and will require some effort to fit.

I recommend UCAs for anyone with a lift. I know the manufacturers don't require them for a 2" lift, but like @Climbingnut I couldn't get caster far enough positive after putting on my lift. Low caster made the steering feel light/loose/squirrelly. UCAs gave me a huge range of adjustment and the truck now tracks better than it did with the factory setup - less drift and play in the steering, especially on the highway.

Even with a mild lift of 40mm up front and 20mm rear the UCA made a world of difference. Post UCA install the 200 drives nice and the odd tire wear has been eliminated.

Glad it worked out

I have to differ with my good friend here for the record . I run Toyo AT2s and believe they are better than any of the tires listed. I put KO2s on Rachels truck and it did not seem like an improvement

Glad it worked out

I have to differ with my good friend here for the record . I run Toyo AT2s and believe they are better than any of the tires listed. I put KO2s on Rachels truck and it did not seem like an improvement
Me too. I may have been the first to have run ATII’s in 285/75R17’s, and I have been completely happy with them and I’ve run BFG’s for 30 years and ran Toyo MT’s on the the 80. All that said,I’m going to run ridge grapplers next. Well, see how these pan out.

Here you go. OME medium duty lift, stock UCA's. 285/75/17 KO2's. No rubbing but haven't had them at full flex yet. I am getting some rubbing against the driver side front mud flap since it's warped and protruding a little. Only happens during a certain turn when flexing the suspension a little. Passenger side is fine. Hope this helps.
285a.jpg

Was thinking of 285/75/17 on my RW’s. What kind of “effort” are we talking about? Stock bumpers 40/20mm of lift with SPC UCA’s.

Does anyone have the actual diameter of the 285/70r17 KO2 when "normally" inflated and mounted?

Does anyone have the actual diameter of the 285/70r17 KO2 when "normally" inflated and mounted?
BFG claims 32.8".

1597168225212.png

Most folks say BFG "tends to run small" in real life. There have been other postings trying to measure the tire size as well. I know this is probably what you're really asking.

Keep in mind tire size is calculated at max PSI when mounted on the correct size rim, but not on a vehicle. So if you have an 80-psi E-load tire and are running 42psi it's likely the tire is a bit smaller than advertised (in fact different tire diameters depending on inflation pressure are how old school TPMS systems work - measuring differing wheel speeds vs actual pressures). Putting the weight of a vehicle on it will deform the tire as well, of course.

BFG claims 32.8".

View attachment 2400585

Most folks say BFG "tends to run small" in real life. There have been other postings trying to measure the tire size as well. I know this is probably what you're really asking.

Keep in mind tire size is calculated at max PSI when mounted on the correct size rim, but not on a vehicle. So if you have an 80-psi E-load tire and are running 42psi it's likely the tire is a bit smaller than advertised (in fact different tire diameters depending on inflation pressure are how old school TPMS systems work - measuring differing wheel speeds vs actual pressures). Putting the weight of a vehicle on it will deform the tire as well, of course.

@linuxgod
Yep, you are correct. I'm looking for the actual measured diameter of the 285/70r17 BFG KO2 tire on an 8" wide wheel when inflated to the proper running psi and actually either mounted or unmounted as long as it's specified. Yes, from lot's of reading I understand the stated manufacturer diameter is at max psi so it's always a larger diameter than what is actually used day-to-day. Just as the KO2 in 285/75 flavor lists 33.9" but mounted on RW's and inflated to the @gaijin specified 37psi that diameter is ~32 5/8".
So, that's what I'm really looking for. How much smaller is the KO2 in 285/70 flavor when inflated to the "normal" operating pressure than rated diameter and mounted on an 8" wide wheel?

@linuxgod
Yep, you are correct. I'm looking for the actual measured diameter of the 285/70r17 BFG KO2 tire on an 8" wide wheel when inflated to the proper running psi and actually either mounted or unmounted as long as it's specified. Yes, from lot's of reading I understand the stated manufacturer diameter is at max psi so it's always a larger diameter than what is actually used day-to-day. Just as the KO2 in 285/75 flavor lists 33.9" but mounted on RW's and inflated to the @gaijin specified 37psi that diameter is ~32 5/8".
So, that's what I'm really looking for. How much smaller is the KO2 in 285/70 flavor when inflated to the "normal" operating pressure than rated diameter and mounted on an 8" wide wheel?
I've got KM3 on RW at 285/70. Just measured and ~31.5 - 32"
They only have a few thousand miles on them, and would assume KO2 would be similar.

@linuxgod

I'm not sure how good the data from this exercise will be, but for what it's worth here's what I get when I measure my LT285/70R17 E-Rated DT BFG KO2's mounted on Rock Warrior wheels on my 2013 LC200 inflated to 40psi:

Across the tire/wheel combo, i.e. at hub height the diameter of the tire from front to back = approx 32" at the outside edge of the tread and approx 32.5" at the center of the tread.

FWIW

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom