Events/Trails Classic Cruise 2020 - 4/25/2020 (1 Viewer)

classic cruise trail

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2208358
Overview of Montana
View attachment 2208359
Reymert mine
View attachment 2208360
Box canyon
View attachment 2208361
Coke ovens.

Some told me that the coke ovens may be blocked off. Since it is is on private property if the owner wants to preserve them that might have happened. Disclaimer I have never done any of these trails. But according to the maps box canyon does go into reymert mine.

the trail to coke ovens close towards the end isn't marked very well (a few confusing rock cairns don't help), it's easy to take the wrong turn and end up directly in the private property (coke ovens is privately owned and fenced off), which you are not supposed to enter, of course

the "real" trail that goes around the private property appears less travelled when you look at 'live' (latest) tracks on the ground (meaning more people took the wrong turn than just us :doh:), and it is unmarked, so you need to hang to the left and follow a shelf road on the left side down towards the river

this left trail will lead to the Gila river (with the coke ovens property to the right without entering private land), and go to the old ford across the river - which can be approached and is passable at low water levels, but WILL get you stuck hydrolocked if the river level is too high - at times when you can cross the river, the desert on the other side is very nice, with diverse vegetation, washes and boulders, and elevation change - easy to drive out towards Florence and back to blacktop again - much more pleasant and faster than returning back towards Box Canyon

when river crossing is not an option, coke ovens essentially is an in-and-out trail - and a very long day at that - it took us almost 5 hours to get all the way down to the river (and the coke ovens, accidentally), because the trail has roughed up significantly over the years from what we remember from ~10 years ago or so: long bouldery sections, extended off-camber driving, rocky climbs and descents that may need a spotter - and we were just in two very capable trucks, experienced drivers - and before we found the river to be fordable, for the last two hours until then, we very much dreaded the idea of possibly having to go all the way back . . .

some navigation required, so make sure you have accurate maps outside of your not-so-great-and-likely-to-conk-out-in-this-there-desert cell phone "coverage"

Last edited:
your experience may vary - we went out there December 2018

The Coke Ovens are closed off per my cousin (who went a few months ago) - but with a spotting scope or binoculars I guess you still might be able to see them... Kids and wife are coming along with me... Should be fun..

It should be taken into consideration that April will yield higher flows on the Gila than most other months due to run off (although this is turning into a low snowpack year) so crossing may be an issue for some vehicles. Be advised as mentioned prior. For that weekend historical flow data avg is 400 cfs. Thats a lot of water. Even at a low snow pack year, avg is about 300 cfs. These are based off the Kelvin gauge site, not far up river.

I ran Box Canyon a month ago and it is super easy. Stockers need not to fear.

Perfect! Looking forward to meeting again Jack.

I’m in, this is on my calendar.

I am also starting to work on the artwork for this years sticker.

@brices123 are you going on the classic cruise?

I'm in for Box Canyon. Sounds great!

@brices123 are you going on the classic cruise?
I have it on my calendar. So as of right now, I am a yes. Work has been so crazy busy that I am not sure I can commit this far out.

@ollanik do you think that you will be able to come on this one.

@murf and I are staring to work on the details for this years classic cruise but save the date for the last weekend in April on the 25th. the location will be fairly centralized for the most part, between Phoenix and Tucson probably near Florence. It shouldn't conflict with country thunder, like last year, as that is the week before the classic cruise. I am going to be putting out some options for the trails so it can be both a one day trip or an over-nighter if people want. This will be a true Classic Cruise so the same rules apply as last year any 4x4 Toyota from 1989 and older so it will be plenty friendly to the more vintage Cruisers. If you have a first gen 4runner, pickup, cruiser all are welcome. If your vehicle does not fit the criteria but you want to come you can always ask to be a passenger in one of the rigs that is going. I have heard from many people that the coke ovens are closed because one got knocked down. Knowing that makes no sense to go if we can't see them. Box canyon will go to Reymert mine so this years run will start in Florence go up through box canyon to Reymert mine and finish on the 60. This will be a most of the day trip with chances to stop for lunch.

Going so far
Me- @mtn biker
@murf
@Cruiserhiggs
@samtoddlee
@Hank Tank
@splitshot
@FJFORTYFAN
@ftbshop
@JackA
@Sheppard
@Honger

Possible attendees or wanting to ride shotgun
@Enrique Sonora
@tls3601
@brices123
I’m in!

As far as the stickers go would people rather have a classic style sticker
1582561622702.png

or a bezel type
1582561684043.png

with Copper State Cruisers classic cruise 2020 incorporated in it some how

I like the classic style too. Or, this:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm obviously terrible at photoshop:

csc sticker 1.jpg

I like the classic Toyota design but instead of Land Cruiser may Toyota 4X4 in a bolder color that stands out.

So in the past the relic runs were limited to 1989 or older Toyota 4X4s. Is the classic cruise the same? I have a feeling not and should make the vehicles included early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom