Possible FJ60 Buy (Rust Damage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Located this buy on a local classified, has low miles. Wondering if it would be a good buy for under 5k even with rust on body. Pictures of undercarriage look like just surface rust.

842041-1565568109-810569.jpg

842041-1565568116-942671.jpg

842041-1565568121-359288.jpg

842041-1565568126-416162.jpg

842041-1565568132-33064.jpg

Depends on what low miles is. And what the roof rails look like and the what the rear C channels look like. What’s under $5k? $4999? $2500? $5k is a big swing.

Depends on what low miles is. And what the roof rails look like and the what the rear C channels look like. What’s under $5k? $4999? $2500? $5k is a big swing.
C channel looks like it has surface rust but hard to tell from the video he sent. He wants $4900.

Spend some time looking at the inner frame. Expect rust in the floors, rear wheel wells, lower parts of the doors. If it runs good and the Tcase is shifting to 4wd low and high and the frame isn't swiss cheese, the rain gutters on the roof good, no rust around the windows, no rust in the pillars then $5k is not unrealistic. Really low rust, low mile vehicles that have been maintained are going for closer to 10k now and that is for a stock truck.

C channel looks like it has surface rust but hard to tell from the video he sent. He wants $4900.
Personally I wouldn’t pay it, but that’s just me. I’d much rather pay that kinda money for a truck with mechanical issues and a good body/frame. Rust is the devil. What you see in the photos is probably actually 10x’s worse in person.

Spend some time looking at the inner frame. Expect rust in the floors, rear wheel wells, lower parts of the doors. If it runs good and the Tcase is shifting to 4wd low and high and the frame isn't swiss cheese, the rain gutters on the roof good, no rust around the windows, no rust in the pillars then $5k is not unrealistic. Really low rust, low mile vehicles that have been maintained are going for closer to 10k now and that is for a stock truck.

I respectfully disagree. A low mileage, rust free truck and good maintenance history will set you back at minimum $15-$20k now adays.

did the driver side quarter get repaired? it would be unusual for the passenger side to look like that and the driver side to have no issues.

What’s your objective for owning it? There is always 10x more rust than you can see. That said you could mechanically sort the drivetrain out and have a lot of fun with it.

If you can cut that out and weld a new piece in and it is in technical drivable shape I think it could be nice.
Some how it seems better shape than typical rust buckets, dont know why

Find out if that's just body rust, or if the whole thing is from the rust belt. The inner fender and frame (in the pix) indicate more going on in the background.

@BlackCat and @g-man you are talking apples and oranges.

In NM and AZ, that rust, I would not touch it. I bet you could find one better that may need cosmetic work but has no rust (needing interior, paint etc).

Eastern US, 5K I would buy it if the frame is good. Most out here the frame is rotting away. Sills are fine and almost all have the rust in the usual places.

So different sides of the country way different prices.

No matter where, mechanical neglect is still neglect and will cost a fair price to fix.

Hi, Go over it all with a refrigerator magnet. See where the magnet falls off. Check brake and fuel lines and gas tank for rust. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom