Alternator vaccum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, struggling with an old diesel Toyota hi ace. So the van had no vaccum going to the brake booster and the vacuum pump on the alternator was doing nothing so I replaced the alternator and still no vaccum? Sent the new alternator back and got another new one but still the same thing? All the pipes are on the right way. There was oil in the pump before installing. Oil pressure is fine. After about 1 minute of running it gets really hot. Please help... stumped

Could be the lines are blocked or the booster is bad. The vacuum pump is likely hot due to it trying to suck, but can't.

Can you you feel vacuum at the pump?

Are you sure you're not mixing up the oil feed line, the oil return line and the vacuum line? There is some variation amongst alternator models with how theses line are arranged. I would remove what you think is the vacuum line and fire up the vehicle and test for vacuum with your finger against the pipe.. the chance you've had two brand new faulty alternators in a row is not realistic.

Last edited:
100% sure the feed and return are on correct( braided pipes with special fittings and different sized banjo bolts) before I installed I spun the pulley with my hand and it seemed to have a bit of vaccum but once installed I took the vaccum pipe off from alternator side and put my finger on and there isn’t the slightest bit of vaccum.

hi- can you provide some pictures of the alternator with the vacuum pump?

Best I have currently.
340.JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
IMG_5257.JPG

for the OP .. did you still have or you vehicle have the vacuum tank .? what you need to test from the pump to the booster it's the vacuum all the way to the booster by each step ..

man .. how much I hate those alt vacuum pump setups !

"once installed I took the vaccum pipe off from alternator side and put my finger on and there isn’t the slightest bit of vaccum."
I assume you were testing with the engine running.
If you get no suction under these conditions, your vacuum pump is not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom