Alternator “W” terminal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FDo5g

GOLD Star
Threads
greetings and salutations, I just got my hands on a Dakota Digital gauge system and I’m in the process of adding tachometer capability. I can either use an inductive sensor for the tooth flywheel, or the “W” terminal from the 24 V alternator. Does anybody here have any experience doing either of these options on a BJ 40 or BJ 42?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I just added a W terminal to my 2LT LN65. Pulled the alternator, soldered a wire in, and ran it to the Dakota Digital.

Not familiar with B engine pumps, but the ‘w’ wire is a pretty universal solution

I just added a W terminal to my 2LT LN65. Pulled the alternator, soldered a wire in, and ran it to the Dakota Digital.

Not familiar with B engine pumps, but the ‘w’ wire is a pretty universal solution
Do you mind telling us how you did it?

Do you mind telling us how you did it?
Sure! You just solder a wire to one of the 3 diodes (have to remove the rear case). Check continuity from the solder joint to the end of the wire. Run the wire to the Dakota digital, and then run that to the tach. The Dakota digital has to then be manually calibrated to output the correct rpm signal.

No point in doing this if your pump has the rpm pickup. Mine didn’t, hence why I went this route.

greetings and salutations, I just got my hands on a Dakota Digital gauge system and I’m in the process of adding tachometer capability. I can either use an inductive sensor for the tooth flywheel, or the “W” terminal from the 24 V alternator. Does anybody here have any experience doing either of these options on a BJ 40 or BJ 42?

View attachment 3504656

View attachment 3504658
This is how the W is connected to BJ42’s alternator (yellow wire soldered):
51b7c187-e7e8-4db2-bfce-1ebea84c1247.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom