FZJ80 front axle options: Nitro, RCV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I searched around a bit and found an old thread comparing Longfields to Nitros (got some helpful info), but I'm looking for more recent info and a comparison of Nitros to RCVs, both in chromoly applications.

For those with experience rebuilding front axles on the FZJ80 I'm collecting opinions on axle options. I plan to rebuild my front axle over the winter and am giving serious thought to using these: CHROMOLY BIRFIELDS & AXLES - Now for all Toyota applications! - New Products - Nitro Gear & Axle

I'm also interested in these by RCV: Ultimate CV Axle Set for Land Cruiser 80 Series ('91-'97) - 30 Spline Upgrade

The application is on a e-locked 1993 FZJ80 on 35s. I do a bit of pretty aggressive wheeling (Wheeler Lake, Moab Trifecta, etc.) and need to build these up for a fair share of abuse. The truck has 180k miles on it (I put the last 60k on it) and I don't believe the axles have ever been rebuilt. (Did get them all resealed/lubed/packed a year ago but I have a pretty consistent birf click going.)

I'm not interested in going Toyota OEMs as both of the chromoly options linked above have superior warranties and at least claim to be overbuilt, even for more aggressive uses than I intend. Both RCV and Nitro enjoy solid reputations in the offroad community beyond Toyota, hence my interest there.

Please share any experience with these.

I run Trailgear chromos which are rebranded longfields. Happy with the a use they've taken so far. Can't really attest to nitro or RCV, but RCV has an overall good reputation in the wheeling industry for building quality stuff

Trailgear are not rebranded Longfields.

Trailgear bought the rights to the Longfield name after Bobby passed away and they moved the production overseas. I won't touch anything made by Trailgear out of principle.

RCV are the real Longfields. That's who made them for Bobby when he was running Longfield.

Both Nitro and RCV are good options. I have heard the nod in longevity goes to Nitro and the nod in ultimate strength goes to RCV just due to the different heat treating hardnesses. I think both should be good for around 50-60k miles in full time 4 wheel drive with the Nitro going a bit further.

@scottryana, bought the rights to is what I was thinking. My TG chromos where tagged as having been made in the USA. Of course when I bought mine they had a 100% no questions asked guaranteed replacement policy for them on their website. Mine are also not gun drilled like the newer ones. I took a screen shot and saved it when I ordered mine, there was paperwork in the box that said they were limited lifetime warranty. But I made sure to get proof that when I bough them they were marketed otherwise.

I have Nitros. Don't do a ton of hard wheeling. Mainly just dirt roads and snow. They have 40k on them and are 6 years old. Are doing just fine.

Yes it is very likely that you bought some of the remaining stock of the old Longfields which is great, but as you said they are no longer the same. They are now made overseas.

@scottryana, bought the rights to is what I was thinking. My TG chromos where tagged as having been made in the USA. Of course when I bought mine they had a 100% no questions asked guaranteed replacement policy for them on their website. Mine are also not gun drilled like the newer ones. I took a screen shot and saved it when I ordered mine, there was paperwork in the box that said they were limited lifetime warranty. But I made sure to get proof that when I bough them they were marketed otherwise.

Last edited:
Are your factory ones trash. I have wheeled for years on several rigs with factory axles and no issues. 315's will do fine with factory unless you just abuse the skinny pedal. I do have a set of long fields in my 60 but I'm running 37 ltb's with a lot more aggressive tread but still didn't break the factory ones. Only switched because someone said you need to go stronger.

Have buddy that runs nitros on 40s front locked, no issues yet, he has been on this combo for few years. Another buddy runs the rcv front locked no issues, he also broke a stock birf on holy cross. Think either one is good option with the rcv being stronger if you go there ultimate

Last edited:
Bringing the experts on this, what do you guys think? What option and differences do you guys attest?
@orangefj45 @cruiseroutfit

I had both brands in my shop side by side last year. The birfs looked identical but the RCV inner shafts were thicker by, iirc, 2-3mm. The rcv’s are more expensive but rcv is the go to company for racers, that tells me a lot. The best part is that they are 100% USA made. I got the 30/30/30’s with chromo inners not the 300m.

I suggest calling nitro and then rcv so you can get a feel for the companies and their products. Hit them with numerous questions and I’m sure the decision will be easy when you hang up the phone.

Has anyone proven that the chinese made ones are any less durable than other brands?

Has anyone proven that the chinese made ones are any less durable than other brands?

Who's got money to purchase multiple aftermarket CV shafts for destructive testing, plus the equipment to test these....

Not I, I have seen ARB post video footage of them destructive testing their differentials in comparison to cheap knock offs but that about it.

Bobby used to have videos of him breaking the US made RCV’s against, Chinese made birfs as well as US and Chinese U-joints. The machine he had made measured both twisting degrees and force in ft/lbs to break. If you search you should be able to find the charts and the videos.

Durability and cost would be a point of concern only if both brands were 100% USA made.

And yes, I broke a Nitro rear full float shaft and inspection revealed manufacturing defects. The shaft showed evidence of corrosion inside the grains. It broke at the fat end of the shaft less than an inch from the outboard end where the defect was. It broke in Moab in a place on the trail where it was neither bound up or shock loaded. I drive as conservatively as a situation will allow. Made in Korea not China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom